1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Can James Harden Convince Russell Westbrook to Change?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 19, 2019.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Smh. How about we get MDA to change first?

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Although the article is fairly negative, I agree with 95% of it. It doesn't address the Rockets defensive shortcomings though, which to me are a bigger reason for the current record than the jekyll and hyde offense.

Relativist, Blurr#7, Mathloom and 5 others like this.
  4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If Westbrook shot 10% higher this would be unstoppable. Sigh

SamFisher likes this.
  5. TipsyDixit

TipsyDixit Member

This is a long line of articles that have apparently been in drafts for a month and, for whatever reason, are being published extremely late. Russ has had a really good string of games of late. The time for this article was in late November

6. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Over the last couple weeks, I thought Russ has done a really good job focusing on his strengths, and he’s had a few really strong games as a result. Without him in San Antonio in the first half, that game would have been like the Miami game.

7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

This thread should be fun.

8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The question should be vice versa. Because James hasn't changed absolutely nothing. The problem is he KNOWS him taking that many shots won't win a championship, but continues doing it. The guy clearly plays for his stats & regular season success

dmoneybangbang and RocketRed84 like this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I’m pretty sure Russ will get the point eventually. He’s very self aware

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can Harden teach Russ how to have heart?

harold bingo, J Sizzle and juanm34 like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Russ has more stamina and athleticism than Harden but isn't the player Harden is.....I am not sure who the better leader is come playoffs.

I am thinking it is hard to tell your brother to change completely as both are on the same level talking to one another.

They are both superstars, one better than the other, but both superstars, or were.

MDA didn't change. Morey didn't change. Fertitta for sure did not change.

For Brodie to completely forget he is a guard is the only way to convince him to not shoot any long 2s and 3s altogether!

#11 daywalker02, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  12. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Its not time for playoff Brodie -

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He has been absolutely playing better. But I still don't think anything in this article is wrong. Do you?

In fact the points about the lack of spacing when playing Westbrook and Capela together is right, the doubling Harden at half-court is right. These are issues we can't just ignore because we want to try and justify the price of Westbrook. In the playoffs, we're going to see the ugly unless we can adjust the roster or play style.

Uh, the issue with Harden is his lack of movement and giving up on plays way too frequently. It's definitely not the amount of shots... you want the most efficient shots on every play and that's 'usually' going to be Harden. The shots he needs to eliminate are the dribble-dribble 6 feet outside the arc while he's trapped.

But in spite of Harden & Westbrooks issues our supporting cast should be feasting on the space available, but we have one of the worst benches in the league and one of the lowest 3P% on wide open shots. That's the biggest problem. I can't wait to see what we have in a healthy Eric Gordon.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

Wahhh beloved Chris Paul is gone!
    Wahhh please come back Chris!
    Wahhh Westbrick sux!
    Wahhh Chris pls. I can't get over you my ex!
    Wahhh Tilman is cheap!
    Wahhh the media hates us!
    Wahhh the refs hate us!

[​IMG]

#14 J.R., Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    J Sizzle likes this.
  15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

That's pretty much what I got from that read.
    • Harden/Westbrook is a really great line-up granted Westbrook is the only non shooter on the floor.
    • Westbrook by himself sucks, but it's likely because he is having to play with subpar shooters, we won't really know how good he can be with the bench players until fully healthy EG starts playing like his old self.
    • Westbrook needs to stop shooting dumb mid-range shots, he sucks at them, he is finishing at an elite percentage.
    • Even with two non shooters (Capela/Westbrook) the offense is still elite because Harden is badman.
    Rockets issues seem to stem more from inconsistent defensive play like you mentioned. Offensively we will be okay.

napalm06 likes this.
  16. smp

smp Member

He needs to remind EG how to have fun first.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

What this article does is cofirms is that Capela no longer fits with the starters due to spacing issues caused by Westbrook. This is really upsetting. He's having his best season ever yet our $40 Million dollar chucker can't work with him.

We traded 2 First Rounders, 2 Pick Swaps, an overpaid Hall of Fame Point Guard with injury issues and a jump shot on top of our starting center's effectiveness (who is on a reasonable long term deal) for a Hall of Famer (I guess because it's basketball) on a Four Year $160 Million contract who doesn't fit anywhere although at times can be really fun to watch.

Basically Capela has to be traded in a multiple team deal and land us a guy who can play small ball center (Covington, Jonathan Isaac?) and a replacement for Capela must be found on a near minimum level deal. Noel, WCS, Jordan Bell?

Westbrook has created way more difficulties (defense, shooting and spacing) in team building than he fixes (rebounding and pace). I was puzzled by the trade at the time and so far nothing has happened to make me question my initial concerns.

Hopefully Westbrook's wrist is really messed up and once he's fully healed he starts shooting 35% from three and none of this matters anymore because spacing won't be as much of an issue.

The front office has less than two months to decide if Westbrook and Capela can coexist and compete for a championship together because the window is going to shut quickly.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Sounds like a Dantoni issue.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Russ has played like 6 good games in a row. I’m not worried about him in the slightest. I watched the thunder all last year and I don’t think he played more than two good games in a row the whole season.

Patience and Rocket River like this.
  20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure what's so confusing about "fixing".

Russ... remember this number. 2. TWO! That's how many threes you should take in a game. NO MORE. That's it. Don't care how open you are. Drive to the basket otherwise. There... he's fixed.

Might it get a "little" crowded with Capela also in there and effectively going from an open three to a potentially guarded lane? Maybe. You'd rather he be able to hit open threes at 40%... but that ship has long sailed. There should still be plenty of efficient offensive opportunities with Russ driving a semi open lane with a full head of steam.

I was also pretty surprised that he's at a career high % at the rim.

As for the lineup being less effective with Clint. I'd rather test that while that might be the case it will still be required nonetheless in the playoffs to have Capela... so absent getting back a Capela that can shoot jumpers/3s, or an all-star type player otherwise, still need Capela.

I'd trade Russ before Capela. Obviously... he isn't being traded, though, but interesting to think about....