1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free-agent LB Polk pays Texans a visit

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2439564

The market for marquee free agents essentially went dry last week as teams hurriedly signed the jewels of the class. Now, it's time to dig a little deeper in search of hidden gems.

The Texans, seeking to upgrade their depth at the inside and outside linebacker positions, hosted DaShon Polk on Monday and will take a look at Lester Towns today.

Polk, 26, played in 11 games for the Buffalo Bills last season, contributing mostly on special teams. He has just one start in his four-year career but has a reputation for being a solid special-teams player and could soften the blow of losing linebacker Steve Foley, who signed with San Diego last week.

During Polk's rookie season at Buffalo, the Bills used a 3-4 defense, and Polk said he could play inside or outside. Monday marked Polk's first free-agent visit, and he will meet with the New York Jets today. He spent part of his Texans visit having lunch with linebacker Jay Foreman, a former teammate with the Bills.

"Jay took me under his wings when I was a rookie in Buffalo, so it was good to see him again," Polk said. "I just want to get an opportunity to play somewhere. For the first four years, I've been backing up and playing special teams, rotating here and there, and playing in short-yardage and goal-line situations.

"I just want to find somewhere that's comfortable for me and come in and contribute right away if I can. I know I can bring some versatility to the team. I'm going to take this next visit and then talk to my family and see what the best situation is."

Towns, 26, started 29 games during the first two years of his career with the Carolina Panthers but he just one start during the past two seasons. Special teams became his forte.

As expected, the Texans will replace linebackers coach Reggie Herring with veteran coach Tom Olivadotti, who spent the past four seasons with the New York Giants. Herring resigned last week to become defensive coordinator at North Carolina State.

2. Summer Song Giver

Either of those guys should be able to step right in and replace Steve Foley's production. Nice, we continue to fill the holes.