1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best trade idea of all

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by silentfan, Mar 5, 2004.

1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

What makes that fair?

2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Are we both talking about the same Mark Jackson... I'm talking about the 38 year old who plays about 13 minutes a game and shoots at a 27% clip... I think I just want to say it one more time... can I? OK,

MARK JACKSON IS NEVER, EVER GOING TO BE ANYONE (in the nba's) STARTING POINT GUARD FROM NOW UNTIL ETERNITY!

no matter what you, silentfan, may think.... it just WILL NOT happen.... EVER!

(there's a reason we were the only team that really even wanted the guy under contract)

3. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The reason I picked these players over Gasol for the spot is they all have shooting range and are hard workers and team players. They would all defer to Ming. Pau would be more problematic.

I'd prefer to overweight the trade capital to the 2 and 3, rather than spend it all on the forward, as we already have a pretty good player in the frontcourt. The ball has to get to the middle, and once it's there, I want a forward that can play team ball.

If you disagree, fine. You're just going to have to make the two styles work together and distribute shots and sets in such a way that they can both be effective. I'm tryting to avoid a clog on the blocks, bad ball movement, easy baskets for the opposition, role confusion, discord and selfishness. Show me Pau's a real team guy and I'll be happier overspending for him; but the last Sporting News, amoung others, said he's trouble. You also need to split the attack with a real talent somewhere in the backcourt, but you don't have a lot of trade capital left.

Oh, it's "worst" talent evaluator, too; not "worse". Just a pet peeve.

4. amed

amed Contributing Member

I agree, Yao, Gasol, and Bradley are all soft p*****s.

5. eyhab27

eyhab27 Contributing Member

excellent post bro. truthfully, i think is steve is just having a off-year. He will definitely play big in the playoffs, as he is known to show-up for big game. the rockets are competing, and they are doing it late in the season, which is quite impressive. Playing good in the end is BIG. lets see what happens.. i dont think steve should get traded, even though his shot is off.. he is a MAJOR threat to the other team, no team will play off of him, i guarantee you that.

e

6. silentfan

silentfan Member

I didn't say it would happen, but I think having Pau in at the 4 with Francis gone is a better team than having Francis in and having Cato at the 4. For Pete's sake any pass first point guard will make this team a better team than it is now.

7. silentfan

silentfan Member

What would you know about soft p*****s? :D

8. xishi

xishi Member

I'd do steve for gasol and jay will but jerry west wouldn't

9. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

You might wanna look up Memphis' record WITH Gasol b4 pullin' this dumbass trade.

10. Sane

Sane Member

How about we ask jerry West to pick between Yao and Gasol. Even IF we disregarded Yao's popularity due to his nationality, West would pick Yao.

You know why?

Because Yao is, at worst, a similar offensive player to Gasol, but an infinitely better defensive player. His mere 7'6 presence is a defensive statistic. gasol is a horrible passer too, I don't know if he doesn't WANT to pass or can't, but he's bad at it and EVERYONE in Memphis knows it.

Oh, and btw, Gasol may or may not battle for WC Championship, but he will never lead his team to the WC Championship, he will just be a part of a team, not the leader. You know why? because horrible defensive players HISTORICALLY can't lead their teams anywhere.

Come out of your world man. Yao is a better player, hands down.

As for fatman's stats, its important to note that Gasol shoots 48% while Yao shoots 53.5%. They are identical on points and blocks, Yao's better on rebounds and FG%. Also, this is Gasol's 3rd season versus Yao's 2nd. I'm willign to bet Yao's 3rd will be much better than Gasol's 3rd.

Statistically or otherwise, Yao is better. Please, dont' consider Yao and Gasol equal, because it's laughable. Do you realize the kind of return we could get trading Yao compared to the return you would get trading Gasol? We can get a T-Mac easily. The only players we probably COULDN'T get are Duncan, KG, Kobe, Shaq. Everyone else would be available to us. What could you get for Gasol?

I mean, I'm still on Yao's case for not being consistently aggressive and not being a great rebounder. I'm of his his CRITICS. But when statements like these are made, the line HAS to be drawn.

11. ruddy5

ruddy5 Member

Worthy of discussion??????? are you kidding me? anything that came from you is worthy of discussion. i even dont know why are you in this rockets forum

Go rocketx!

12. Miggidy Markell

Adding another scoring big man will take away shots from Yao if you are wanting that to happen....

13. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I really hope that is hyperbole... it's just wrong in the case of Mark Jackson. YES, I think Mark Jackson circa 1995 would be the PERFECT point guard to lead this team. BUT, believe me when I say that (especially after today, watching him throw the ball to Eduardo Najera 4 times) the OLD Mark Jackson is long since dead and gone. He's Warren Moon with Chiefs, Randall Cunningham with the Ravens... merely a slower shadow of their former selves.

14. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

When I read the opening post on this thread, I was totally shocked and angered...

... Then I saw who wrote it.