1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Best trade idea of all

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by silentfan, Mar 5, 2004.

1. silentfan

silentfan Member

How about the Rockets give Francis back to the Grizzlies and we take Gasol...

:D

C: Yao/Cato
    PF: Gasol/Taylor
    SF: Jim Jackson/A Griffin
    SG: Mobley/Piatowski
    PG: Mark Jackson/Mobley

:D :D :D

2. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

The same Gasol that is softer than Shawn Bradley and can't play D.

3. scotia

scotia Contributing Member

Could we give EG back to NJ and get RJ and 3 1st round picks back? :rolleyes: :confused:

4. silentfan

silentfan Member

Comon now, comparing Gasol to Bradley is just a bit asinine don't you think?

5. MFW2310

It's not asinine when you're comparing their softness.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

It sure is...uh, wait, Gasol and Bradley both give Yao a lot of trouble. Maybe he's got a point. :D

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Your right, Gasol does not play defense as well as Bradley.

8. silentfan

silentfan Member

Oh, i'm sorry, you must be one of those people who think

A) keeping a guy who is undersized, playing out of position, can't shoot, and can't defend, and is among the league leaders in turnovers

is better for the Rockets than

B) getting a young, athletic, versatile 7 foot power forward with an array of offensive skills to take pressure off Yao that can be a consistent #2 scoring option.

9. silentfan

silentfan Member

How many times has Francis gotten torched by opposing teams' point guards? Don't even talk about defense, you got a losing case there bud.

10. MFW2310

Let's see, if this trade happens, the Houston Rockets will have the softest non rebounding PF rotation in the league (Mo and Gasol). Not only that, neither can play any D. Other teams will be torching them night in night out. The two of them and Yao can form the best All Non - Rebounding team in the league.

11. MFW2310

Hmmmm, getting torched from outside compared to getting torched in the post. I wonder which I will take. :rolleyes:

12. silentfan

silentfan Member

Bradley only plays 12.1 minutes per game versus 33 minutes for Gasol. Damn that Mark Cuban for being such a poor evaluator of talent!

13. silentfan

silentfan Member

Would you rather have Gasol's 17.7 points per game alongside Yao or Cato's 6.4 ppg? I thought the point was to try to make the other team NOT double team Yao, not the other way around.

Cato Gasol
    PPG 6.4 < 17.7
    RPG 7.2 < 7.8
    APG 1.0 < 2.5
    SPG .80 > .56
    BPG 1.42 < 1.77
    FG% .458 < .485
    FT% .661 < .719
    3P% .000 < .286
    MPG 26.2 < 32.0

With the way Francis is shooting I don't see any double teams on Yao getting beat. With a solid low post scorer opposing teams can't cheat over on Yao because Cato is an offensive liability besides alleyoups which I'm fairly certain a 7 foot athletic player like Gasol can handle.

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bck awy frm th p*ssng mtch. Please.

Silent, why would the Grizz want Francis? They have Jason Williams and Bonzi Wells. I saw the post from Memphis X and Deuce, too. Sure, Yao / Gasol would be a very nice front line; not ideal though. Gasol is not a fan favorite in Memphis even though very skilled because he loafs on defense and doesn't show up every night. He's a pout and somewhat selfish.

For a high-value asset like that, I'd rather try to get Troy Murphy. He's a worker, and skill set perfectly matches with Yao.

Vladimir Radmanovic and Brian Cardinal are lower profile and also good fits.

I think Gasol should team with Wally for an all-sourpuss team.

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

What about your trade?

16. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

silentfan's name: Ironic?

17. silentfan

silentfan Member

any trade involving francis leaving for a quality PF or PG is worthy of discussion. I think the majority of the members of this board would agree with that.

18. silentfan

silentfan Member

The Grizz might want Francis to add to their star power value. It's hard for them to get media exposure with such a diluted team running a 10 man rotation. Gasol would be a 20/10 guy if he were the main emphasis but they've got so many guys who can contribute sometimes he doesn't get double digit shots a night. They wanted him in the first place right? I bet they would to have him since they have plenty of parts for trade.

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I wish we could make a sticky with the following message:

If you want to go to the playoffs... MARK JACKSON CAN'T BE YOUR STARTING POINT GUARD. He's way too old, slow, and a terrible defender... yes, worse than Steve.

There's a reason he didn't play for the first half of the year.

20. silentfan

silentfan Member

I wonder though, if a Mark Jackson efficient in setting up the offense outweighs the Mark Jackson liability on defense. Imagine how many more shots and good looks at the basket we would have with Mark Jackson getting more minutes at the point.