1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL 2004 Mock Draft v. 1.0

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gunn, Mar 1, 2004.

1. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

The combine workouts have finished in Indianapolis and the individual school workouts have begun. With the 2004 NFL Draft looming under eight weeks away (54 days), the hopeful draftees have started jostling for postion. Fourty-yard dash times have started being clocked, quickness and strength drills have begun to be measured, and now these respective draft hopefuls have started to move up and down the draft board. With the early results in, now is a good time to begin with my mock draft v.1.

Round 1
    1. San Diego Chargers - Eli Manning, QB, Ole Miss
    2. Oakland Raiders - Larry Fitzgerald, WR, Pittsburgh
    3. Arizona Cardinals - Ben Roethlisberger, QB, Miami (OH)
    4. New York Giants - Robert Gallery, OT, Iowa
    5. Houston Texans - Sean Taylor, S, Miami (Traded 10th overall selection and fourth round selection in this years draft plus second round selection in 2005 to Washington)
    6. Detroit Lions - Mike Williams, WR, USC
    7. Cleveland Browns - Kellen Winslow Jr., TE, Miami
    8. Atlanta Falcons - Vince Wilfork, DT, Miami
    9. Jacksonville Jaguars - Kenechi Udezi, DE, USC
    10. Washington Redskins - Tommie Harris, DT, Oklahoma
    11. Pittsburgh Steelers - Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State
    12. New York Jets - Roy Williams, WR, Texas
    13. Buffalo Bills - Will Smith, DE, Ohio State
    14. Chicago Bears - Kevin Jones, RB, Virginia Tech
    15. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Sean Andrews, OT, Arkansas
    16. San Francisco 49'ers - Chris Gamble, CB, Ohio State
    17. Cincinnati Bengals - D.J. Williams, OLB, Miami
    18. New Orleans Saints - Dunta Robinson, CB, South Carolina
    19. Minnesota Vikings - DeAngelo Hall, CB, Virginia Tech
    20. Miami Dolphins - Reggie Williams, WR, Washington
    21. New England Patriots (f/Balt) - Vernon Carey, OG/OT, Miami
    22. Dallas Cowboys - Randy Starks, DT, Maryland
    23. Seattle Seahawks - Antwan Odom, DE, Alabama
    24. Denver Broncos - Ben Troupe, TE, Florida
    25. Green Bay Packers - Philip Rivers, QB, North Carolina State
    26. St. Louis Rams - Ben Watson, TE, Georgia
    27. Tennessee Titans - Marquise Hill, DE, LSU
    28. Philadelphia Eagles - Michael Clayton, WR, LSU
    29. Indianapolis Colts - Jonathan Vilma, ILB, Miami
    30. Kansas City Chiefs - Derrick Strait, CB, Oklahoma
    31. Carolina Panthers - Jeremy LeSueur, CB, Michigan
    32. New England Patriots - Karlos Dansby, OLB, Auburn

2. Remix

Remix Member

5. Houston Texans - Sean Taylor, S, Miami (Traded 10th overall selection and fourth round selection in this years draft plus second round selection in 2005 to Washington)

Is This true?

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

It's his Mock Draft. NO it's not true.

4. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

It would be nice if it was.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Trading a 1st, 2nd, and a 4th for 5 spots is stupid. No way I do that deal. Especially since Tommie Harris is still at 10.

6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Harris would go at 8 ahead of those two.

7. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

The Texans would not be trading a "1st, 2nd, and a 4th for 5 spots". We would be trading a "2nd and a 4th" for "5 spots". The second round pick is in 2005 and we could possibly have an extra to deal if and when the Henson deal goes through.

FYI, the Falcons traded a future second round pick and a "then" current third round selection for "5 spots" two years ago.

Also, this is one scenario. This is a way for the Redskins to reobtain future picks lost in the trade for Clinton Portis. If Washington would remain with the 5 selection, taking Harris then is still highly likely. The deal makes sense to both parties if the Texans aquire a second round pick in 2005 from any deal involving Henson.

Teams moving up or down in draft postion highly affects the make-up of the draft. One thing you need to remember is that nothing is set in stone.

8. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Way too much to give up to move up 5 spots. Especially for a safety! We need DL help!

9. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

the Lions go with another #1 reciever? They took Charles Rogers last year #1, they need help elsewhere.

I'm not a Lions fan, but NFL teams don't often draft the same position #1 back to back.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is a chart somewhere on the web that was developed to appoint a number value to all picks throughout the draft. I think they based it on previous trades and what teams were willing to give up to move up in the draft. I wish I could remember the name of it...I would be interested to see how the points work out in this scenario.

11. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Yes, and I've heard reports to the contrary that the Lions would indeed entertain the idea of taking a reciever. Obviously, the Lions are targeting Taylor, but should he be off the board and Mike Williams happen to still be there, I have no doubt that Matt Millan and Steve Mariuchi would pull the trigger on a talent such as Williams, should he have a solid workout and 40 time.

12. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I like the idea of trading up for Taylor, most definitely. Putting in an additional 2 picks for him though, ehhh I dunno.

13. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

I really wish people would shut up about Sean Taylor. Dude is a SAFETY. You don't trade up from 10 for a freaking saftey, no matter how talented he is. Get it through you heads: the Texans are not trading up to draft a safety. They will take Harris is he's available, or trade down in the 1st round for a different DE.

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I am all for trading down this year!

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Tennessees whole defense is orchestrated from the strong safety position. So there's at least one defense who needs a good one. I don't know much about the Texans 3-4 tho'.

16. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.nfldraftview.com/tvchart.html

17. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

I like your mock alot, I think it has some very sound reasoning. However, I do have a couple observations and suggestions

The Bears just signed Thomas Jones and Anthony Thomas ran considerably better last season. I believe it is highly unlikely they draft a RB here.

Rams I strongly believe will not take a TE there. They have a pretty good one waiting in the wings w/ Manuleumena im sure i just butchered that spelling.

For the past few years someone projects the Packers to take a QB to replace Favre. I really dont feel they will do it this year, I personally think Rivers is not going to be a great pro. If they did acquire a QB i think they would trade for Henson or look for a second round sleeper maybe a JP Lossman.

I don't think New Orleans lets DeAngelo Hall past them as he is one of the fastest in the draft and that is what their secondary needs most- speed. However I dont know much bout that kid from SC so I could be wrong.

I think its more likely the Niners take a WR then a corner right now, as their offense is going to be sorely lacking next year. In addition I see Jacksonville taking a WR like Roy W as well although the scenario of him heading to the Jets is very feasible and actually would be a pretty good situation for him. (Im a UT fan)... Finally I think Tampa Bay looks for a fast WR to help them out. Watch out for a Rashaun Woods comeback in the first round, his speed was muchh better then expected.

Finally, I havent heard much bout that LeSeur kid, is he that good?

Overall it is an excellent mock draft. Well Done.

18. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

First of all, I want to thank you for your commendation. Your observations of recent acquisitions will be noted when I will post my Mock Draft v. 2.0 on Monday as this version was created the Monday prior to the start of the free agent signing period on Wednesday.

As far as Hall and Robinson, Dunta Robinson actually timed faster at the combine, running a 4.34, while DeAngelo ran a 4.35. They were clocked at nearly the same time but Dunta appears to be more technically sound.

Rashaun Woods is a fantastic football player. We could sit here and talk numbers all day long and they wouldn't tell you what this kid brings to the field. I feel that Woods has a solid pro career ahead of him. Also, if Woods still happens to be on the board when the Texans pick in the second round, do not be surprised if they snatch him up despite the need for defensive help. No disrespect to Bradford, but Rashaun would be a perfect compliment to last years top pick Andre Johnson. Jabar Gaffney still is probably best suited as the slot reciever, where he could create match-up problems.

As for Jeremy LeSueur, he converted to corner from safety at Michigan. The NFL may likely convert him back. He may make a nice fit for Carolina at safety if Dion Grant goes way to free agency.

I'm looking forward to v. 2.0.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I didn't know the Fresh Prince of Bel Air played DE... I could see him as a wide receiver or punter... he couldn't wear a helmet... ;)

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Another strong rumor. Although I can't believe it would happen. Arizona is considering trading spots with Pittsburgh. I believe Pittsburgh wants Sean Taylor, but they could use Roth just the same.