1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

100% NOT behind Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pippsux, Oct 7, 2019.

1. pippsux

pippsux Member

You don't have to post here,
    By the way this is my thread, if I want compare our current regime to what is in China, then I will.

We don't get to point fingers at China, when we are mirroring them under this regime, if you don't see that, then I bid you a good day, sir

2. Nook

Nook Member

You cannot read well. It is my sister in law. She came to the USA for college and graduate studies at Stanford. She dated my brother for 7 years. You are right though, she did tell me that there was no way she would go back to China after living in the USA. Said cultural change was hard first handful of years but realized she felt something she had never felt before... choice and she could say and do what she wanted and learned about the lies of her government.

Further we all were serious when we said good luck and we hope you are happy in CCP led China. You don’t need to lie about being in Barcelona or Germany.

3. Nook

Nook Member

The organ harvesting claim was made by Chinese and is being investigated by an international tribunal. No one knows if it is true or not but there is enough information to warrant an investigation.

The concentration camp claims are not debatable. The CCP has acknowledged the camps, the detainees have been interviewed on camera, there are photos and videos and entire articles on it. It has even been discussed by the UN and China has received criticism from the UN.

The only way you are not aware of the concentration camps is if you do not use the internet or follow the news in a free country.... or if you live in mainland China and have your access blocked because the CCP does not allow access.

Multiple links have been posted of the articles and videos on this board numerous times. So either you don’t want to believe it at all costs or you are having it blocked by the CCP.

4. pippsux

pippsux Member

If you are uncomfortable with the topic then have a good day, this is not for you. From the beginning I've made my issue very clear. Morey has a right to do whatever he wants, but he cannot take a stance like this when he does not speak for the Houston Rockets or Tilman Fertitta or the NBA or all rockets fans. Not all of us are in support of a crisis going on in Hong Kong when here in the US we have major issues but no one cares. But dammit we care about China and the way they do things.

Where was the outrage when the rockets drafted Yao Ming? Did China all of a sudden become who they are? Y'all closed your eyes and mouths when Yao was getting buckets and cheered, as I did.

Wasn't blind then, not blind now, just not gonna let wiz boy genius speak for me as a lifelong fan.

Hope this clears up my stance, feel free to come a little harder

5. marky :)

marky :) Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whataboutism

harold bingo likes this.
  6. pippsux

pippsux Member

When backed into a corner the coward shows his true colors, using insults and profanity to cover the fact they got nothing.
    Walk away, you don't have what it takes. I can't debate with someone who lives in a bubble and kisses the rainbow,... Enjoy your fantasy and make sure you support Morey after he gets fired, eventually.

7. pippsux

pippsux Member

8. pippsux

pippsux Member

I disagree, but I respect your view

9. Garner

Garner Member

so, that’s a no then? You don’t have the information you so pointedly referenced?

Sooty likes this.
  10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Whataboutism refers to the practice of deflecting criticism by pointing to the misdeeds of others. Oxford Dictionaries defines it as “the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.”

Essentially, it’s an appeal to hypocrisy ― a logical fallacy also known as “tu quoque.” Instead of proving that your opponent’s claim is wrong on its face, whataboutism argues that it’s hypocritical of the opponent to make that claim at all. (Oh, you think I shouldn’t cheat on a test? What about that time you took a crib sheet into your calculus exam last year?!)

Sooty and Pizza_Da_Hut like this.
  11. pippsux

pippsux Member

Yes I do, appreciate that.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I don't respect your view.

Garner likes this.
  13. pippsux

pippsux Member

Peace and love to you ************** . What if I told you I spent 3 years straight in China? Calm down,.... I was there when things were waaaay worse than it is now. Don't educate someone when you don't know what they know

14. Garner

Garner Member

..and what fantasy land are you claiming I live in, exactly?

My only position is that Morey is a human who is free to have independent thought. If that's fantasy land, I don't know what to tell you, but then this is bigger than basketball.

15. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

No need to build a strawman, I said he didn't double down - what Morey did was give a non-apology.

What China wanted Morey to say:
    "My tweet was impulsive and I did so without thinking. I fully support China and its national interests and do not support Hong Kong's violent and impractical riots. I sincerely apologize to the nation of China as well its people."

What HK wanted Morey to say, and what Clutchfans posters are saying in unison on this board:
    "While I respect and value all of our Chinese fans, I will not downplay the atrocities its government commits on a daily basis. China has stolen billions of dollars in worldwide intellectual property, kidnapped, tortured, and harvested organs from hundreds of political dissidents, imprisoned millions of its own people on the basis of religion, and continues to suppress free speech within its own borders. I support Hong Kong's fight for democratic rule and do not apologize for voicing that support."

The middle ground that Morey took:
    "I did not intend my tweet to cause any offense to Rockets fans and friends of mine in China. I was merely voicing one thought, based on one interpretation, of one complicated event. I have had a lot of opportunity since that tweet to hear and consider other perspectives. I have always appreciated the significant support our Chinese fans and sponsors have provided and I would hope that those who are upset will know that offending or misunderstanding them was not my intention. My tweets are my own and in no way represent the Rockets or the NBA."

How many schools of thought are there when it comes to organ harvesting or internment camps? Morey literally calls out his sponsors specifically in the tweet and tells them how appreciative he is, and he's not trying to offend them. He's trying to walk the tight rope here. He won't take back what he said about Hong Kong, but he also won't talk about the Chinese government and wants that China money to keep flowing. Doubling down is saying screw your money, my beliefs cannot be bought and that's why I tweeted in the first place. There's nothing wrong with not doubling down, I'm sure Morey's concern for HK only goes as far as his employment - but we don't need to act like Morey's pushing all in when he's just living to fight another day.

clos4life likes this.
  16. mms

mms Member

1. As I mention in another thread, regardless this claim's truthfulness, if this is a legal CCP operation, UN can easily convict those responsible at hague court of justice. If it's illegal in China, this claim is equivalent to that president Clinton, Prince Andrew and Epstein playing underage girls together. Are you blame US gov or the royal family for sex abuse and human trafficking?

2. the camps are called re-education camps by ccp. They claim it's for anti-terrorism purposes. I don't see evidence that innocent people were jailed and never seen again except some unconfirmed online sources. Sure, some where chained and blindfolded, so does the ones in gitmo and other black sites. E.U., U.N. criticize U.S. on Gitmo numerous times.

3. I am a first gen Chinese-American working/living in bay area and still have family and many good friends there so I am pretty sure I am very well informed. Yes, I don't believe those because I am not convinced. I know ccp is bad, sometimes evil in many ways, but I also don't have much faith in msm fairytales.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Just because you have friends there, doesnt mean you have full knowledge of whats going on over there. You have no hard data to give, only anecdotal evidence.

18. mms

mms Member

Sounds like you know better. Care to share?

19. mightybosstone

Countries are not private corporations, and should not be treated as such. Also, by your own logic, no one in the league should be allowed to speak out on issues they have with the U.S. or the states or cities in which they reside. If you're viewing China as a "partner" of the NBA, then the United States certainly is as well, and that hasn't prevented multiple athletes from speaking out against U.S. policies they've disagreed with. Every time an athlete speaks out against a president, should that athlete be reprimanded?

20. HP3

HP3 Member

I dont know better, definitely not more than you who has ties there. But I still cant rely on you to give me a comprehensive view of how people really feel over there, you know what I mean?