1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

100% NOT behind Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pippsux, Oct 7, 2019.

1. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

The small market vs big market thing is part of a larger argument that we can have - but I think if you agree there is some impact to player marketability by playing in a larger city with more consumer spending power, then I'm not going to belabor the point.

My original point is that there is a possibility that Morey comes out looking bad in the eyes of fans if China plays this situation in a very specific way and the NBA doesn't socialize Houston's lost revenue and jersey sales with the rest of the league. Maybe they do and my point is moot, but yes ultimately China's argument is what about our money like you mentioned, and it turns out the NBA does very much care for it.

Garner likes this.
  2. pippsux

pippsux Member

N
    Ignorant response, would you ever know where Hong Kong was if they didnt put it on TV? Or Morey didn't do what he did? Where was your outrageous then

Lovemachine2000 likes this.
  3. mms

mms Member

I don’t have problem with Morey’s tweet for its face value. I do have troubles dealing lies as organ harvesting or concentration camp bs.

Until you show us real hard evidence, I consider those posters the same biatch type as shifty Shiff.

4. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

There's politician code speak, and then there's outright straight talk. Particularly given the language barrier, I'm going to say this was a non-apology by Morey, but not a double down.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You do know the Chinese government reaidly admits to detainment of the Uighur people in rededucation camps and forcing them to leave Islam right which violates basic human dignity.

All of that is already readily admitted by the government. It shows how much economic clout they have when they can brazenly admit to it and not fear backlash. And I have a feeling no amount of sources will convince you that China harvests organs from disparaged minorities in China unless Xi Jinping tells you himself.

But I'll give it a shot: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...-organs-detainees-tribunal-concludes-n1018646

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Hey, **** you. I lived in mainland China, worked in mainland China, and wrote my thesis on the Chinese renminbi. I know a hell of a lot about China, and I despise their human rights abuses. I went out to the rural areas to volunteer, which is far more help than the Chinese government has ever provided to poor people.

Newlin and fchowd0311 like this.
  7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So let's say your scenario plays out where China decides to ban everything Houston Rockets. Let's also say I add to that scenario that this next season, with the wide open West, Houston goes on and wins the championship. China would have then banned its country from watching

82 regular season games
    16+ playoff games

At least 98 games of Houston Rockets CHAMPIONSHIP basketball gone because of pure pettiness. Then, Morey conjures up more magic to bring in solid veterans next summer and the Rockets continue its run. You can see where I'm going with this--China can surely pick on Houston and only Houston but they can't control the success of THIS CURRENT team. The more Houston succeeds the harder it is for China to provide a whole NBA product.

"Chinese citizens! I hope you enjoyed the NBA season. Unfortunately we do not recognize the team that won the NBA championship, therefore, we will support the team they defeated! Rejoice in supporting the loser!"

8. mms

mms Member

I assume you believed mr Clinton f***ed underage girls.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Que?

10. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

11. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

What did you volunteer? And did you really help, at least to cover the expenses you incur?

Western NGOs in China are trash. You sound awfully similar to them

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You do know how South Africa ain't its freedom right?

Rocket River

13. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

That's correct - China can't directly control Houston's success. But when it comes to the specific issue of nationalism, China has proven to be incredibly insecure of anything that threatens their current structure. They will literally cut off their nose to spite their face. If Houston wins the next 30 championships, then their own fans be damned, China will not show the finals for 30 years in a row. This is a country that imprisons millions of their own people, made their most popular singer in the country disappear. You really think depriving some of their people of a little orange ball is where they draw the line in the sand?

14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Lol @ the Chinese bots coming out of the shadows to post. Happy to add to my ignore list.

Pizza_Da_Hut and fchowd0311 like this.
  15. marky :)

marky :) Member

China made it worse for themselves. How many Americans would have noticed Daryl Morey's personal tweet if China didn't respond the way they did? Really nothing was made of Morey's tweets about Trump because it didn't get the same reaction. I agree that it's two different realms since China is a huge partner for the Rockets but imagine if Trump all of a sudden said he would ban Rocket's games on TV. Probably be in the same crap we are in now but with different characters.

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

They aren't worried about how Americans feel about the issue. This is about stifling future situations like this so that their OWN people don't see popular figures that they like/respect attacking their government.

17. thedopefiend

thedopefiend Member

So you were one of these white trashed "volunteering" in China. How surprising

18. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

uhhh... There are NBA offices in Shanghai, Beijing, and Hong Kong. Those people are Americans.

19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Disagree, he spoke as an individual not in his capacity as Rockets GM even though that is his job! Just because I'm a manager at Shell doesn't mean I speak on behalf of Shell if I say something negative about Exxon...

20. Nook

Nook Member

Show me where he said: I was wrong... or I support China and not Hong Kong.

You can’t, because he didn’t. Acknowledging that there are multiple view points on a complicated issue isn’t in anyway saying his opinion was invalid or wrong. Nor did he say he changed his mind.