1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Daryl Morey, NBA issue statements

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Oct 6, 2019.

1. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

I pay like 50 US dollars to watch the rockets in China. Guess I am saving the money this year.

2. TimDuncanDonaut

You do realize that the opium war was about the British selling opium (drugs) to the Chinese right? It's not unlike what the Sackler family and Johnson & Johnson are doing right now to the U.S. Citizens. When the Chinese government had enough, they went to war with the British 1839 – 1860. The communist party didn't form until the 1920's.

On the original topic, I hope this thing blows over and Daryl stays as Rocket's GM.

wireonfire and B-Bob like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

Okay. Good luck

fchowd0311, Aware, JayGoogle and 2 others like this.
  4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey will get a job pretty quickly if he's fired, but he's clearly not going to get another job in the NBA. Not in Adam Silver and the owners like money as much as we think they do.

My guess is a progressive NFL or NHL team will pick him up as an assistant GM or consultant type role because the NFL and NHL don't really give a damn about expanding to the Chinese market.

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Maybe consultant. There's really no track record of what he does in the NBA being applicable to NFL or NHL for him to be qualified as an assistant gm. Would be good PR though, without the backlash.

6. foh

foh Member

Yup, Morey is now global level Colin Kaepernick. He might just get black balled too. It's not out of realm of possibility. Crazy stuff!

PS I think Chinese should accept his "apology" if they know what's good for them from PR perspective

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Realllly doesn't smell like he's getting fired. The NBA statement really seemed to have his back in terms of having his own opinions.

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Now that that’s done, what about those fire Morey posts til liked?

9. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

There is absolutely no way Morey gets blacklisted from he NBA over this tweet. There are so many teams with mediocre GMs that would bid for his services. Eventually this, like any other event in the news cycle, will be effectively forgotten.

10. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh the translation doesn’t sound as great. Also the comments of the owner of the NETS isn’t encouraging considering he was the intermediary between the league and China.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

What apology do you guys think Morey could have given even if he wanted to? He supports Hong Kong, how do you apologize for that?

"I'm sorry for supporting Hong Kong... I mean I still do... But I'm sorry for it."

Doesn't even make sense for him to apologize, would be completely disingenuous.

I think what you guys are looking for is a retractment. Like if he came out and said he supports China and condemns violence and rioting. That may appease the Chinese but then he will be in trouble on the US side. I mean he is already somewhat doing that. "One interpretation of a complicated event."? That's just a fancy way of saying "I didn't know wtf I was talking about."

#231 CXbby, Oct 7, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
  12. ECHKG

ECHKG Member

[​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

LOL @ Tzuyu.

14. foh

foh Member

That's asinine. How much money do you think a dude needs to be happy? I think the marginal benefit is scientifically proven to be null past like $150K. Have you been to a concentration camp or lived on 9 digit salary to say the things that you are saying right now?

RichieBanks and Nook like this.
  15. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I mean, back to the original topic...there are people in HK way more American than actual Americans right now in hospitals in critical condition. Because American ideals and Commie ideals are older than dirt. Just depends which side to support. HK was taken by the Japanese in WWII. HK was a military strategic point and also a capitalistic growth hub. The agreed deal was 50 years before what’s happening now. This is commies taking it in a coup. Look at Crimea with the Russians and the Russian protests. Russians and Chinese acting more like Americans than Americans.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No way Morey gets fired this year with US politicians now in on it.

It's going to make this situation 10x worse for Fertita, only way he unloads Morey is after this season. Rockets lose in the 2nd round or something and he can just say it was time to move on.

I think what will happen is this will try to get shrugged under the rug. The CBA will eventually unban the Rockets this season but they have made their point to other NBA teams, owners, basically anyone but players.

Now, lets get some reporters to pose this question to Popovic.

17. PeppermintCandy

My prediction is that Morey and Sam Hinkie will join forces.
    They'll hunker down in a wooden cabin somewhere for a few years. And when they finally return to civilization, they will have in their hands the Great Analytics Bible that we've all been secretly waiting for. It will change the world of NBA forever.

Moreyball 2.0 FTW!

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  18. CXbby

CXbby Member

No prominent players will say anything. If they do, they will get dropped faster than they can say "Nike".

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, maybe not any big named players, but I could see it from guys who don't have big nike deals to lose anyway and what would China do then? NBA can't muzzle its players, I could see Kanter doing it, for instance, he really doesn't GAF and if asked he's going to have an opinion about it and he plays on a big team too, would China then ban the Celtics as well?

I think if anyone else comments about this it's going to get tricky for the NBA.

Also, Lebron will be asked about this, is Nike really going to drop Lebron if he decides that he wants to take a moral stand here?

joshuaao likes this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Then why are u posting here? We don't care.....