1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Andre Iguodala, JaVale McGee up next on Rockets' wish list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jul 3, 2019.

1. riko

riko Member

I agree. His real value is to finish games.

Clint
    Tucker
    Iggy or Gordon
    Harden
    Paul

I actually suspect would could see a

Tucker
    Iggy
    Gordon
    Harden
    Paul

finish lineups depending on the matchup.

Easy likes this.
  2. riko

riko Member

Yep his value is in the last few minutes given how many big games he has contributed in.

D-rock likes this.
  3. JW86

JW86 Member

I’d offer him a starting position if this is really all we see after. Move EGO back to the bench.

4. JW86

JW86 Member

Why go people insist to come up with odd ass rotations like this? Green is a 2 and we have House..

xtruroyaltyx and Game7 like this.
  5. riko

riko Member

JaMychal Green is a 4

J Sizzle likes this.
  6. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

No... it wouldn't be a "dream scenario" for a cheap owner... rather, it'd be the opposite, as the Hard Cap is set ABOVE the luxury tax figure. The luxury tax is set at approx 132+ million while the hard cap is at approx 138.9+ million.

Cheap teams and Owners don't just simply avoid going WAY over the tax figure, they avoid even approaching the figure. Very few teams pay the tax and even fewer go over the apron level.

Don't forget, being a tax paying team also means losing out on the tax dividend paid to non tax paying teams every year.

#186 blahblehblah, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  7. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

iso joe looked decent and played a significant role in the playoffs for the jazz the season before he came to the rockets. at 35 years of age he averaged about 13 points, 4 rebounds and 2.5 assists per game in said playoffs...

...and the next year he was completely done.

at this age even a minor but nagging injury can be the difference between contributing and being out of the league.

J.R. and daywalker02 like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Memphis is trying to trade Iggy. No way someone is taking his $17.5 mil salary.....and giving up something to get it (unless it is a BAD contract). Just buy the man out (got a 1st out of it).

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If they buy him out he goes to the Lakers, so teams are trying to make a move to get him. Buying him out also puts his full salary against the cap for Memphis.
    By trading him, they might be able to get something in return.
    Maybe a young end of bench guy they can give minutes to
    Maybe they can reduce total salary bill for the season and put themselves in a place to use cap space later in the season to absorb a contract dump (and get a potential asset again?)
    Maybe they can get a 2nd rd pick out of it

Any number of scenarios make sense for Memphis to trade him; and for teams to trade to get him

Corrosion likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Thanks.

So, good players worth the money:

Payton (was likelye not coming here anyway since he'll start in NY)
    Geroge Hill (will start with the Bucks)
    DeAndre (maybe he would've take a little less to come here, but if we would've give him the starting spot, not to backup Capela)
    Cauley-Stein (more chance to start/play with the Warriors, just like Bell)
    Looney (same as Cauley, unless we were going to use the full MLE on him, maybe)

The players i think we could've get maybe get are:

Carroll (i take House at 3.5M over him at 6.5M)
    Ed Davis
    Holmes

Well, i don't really see how not getting these guys is something to b**** about, Davis is probably the best player but it doesn't really fill a need since he's a smaller and less talented Capela, probably a better rebounder, but that's it, if the Rockets have the chance to use the MLE to a better player they did right in not signing one of these guys, i wouldn't pay the tax either for Richaun Holmes or Ed Davis.

#190 Vivi, Jul 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    joshuaao likes this.
  11. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we had $9.2M to spend. that's viable.

we made a choice to only spend the TMLE and avoid paying the tax again. we spent most of it on Danuel House. so now we only have $2.2M remaining. that's not viable for good remaining FAs like J Green.

mastan, Icehouse and J.R. like this.
  12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Let me clarify: It would be the dream scenario WITHIN REASON. Anyone who thinks Tilman Fertitta's Rockets are avoiding "even approaching the figure," given the contracts they've handed out to Chris Paul and James Harden, is just being ridiculous.

They missed out on the tax this year by a fraction of a percent, all after exhausting other avenues that would have improved the team (and sent them well into the tax).

13. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

We couldn’t beat the warriors without Durant!!!!

calm the F down, only on Clutchfans

14. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

McGee can play, he isn't that bad

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike D'Antoni is not trying to hear that (or do that). 30 minutes or less & load management? Pfffft... :D

2 of those 3 will be "broken" by the postseason.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Spending $$ to improve your chances to win when you have a contending team IS REASONABLE. That’s why you see other contending teams doing it. They are really trying to win, as opposed to letting exemptions just sit there unused. Last year and likely this one we have had clear holes to fill, $$ to spend, and sat on it to avoid paying tax.

TheFreak likes this.
  17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Cool. Thanks. I have no idea how the hard cap works.

18. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

It's easy to say that they almost improved the team, but the fact is they didn't make any moves and they didn't pay the tax. The Rockets are the kings of "we almost did [X]," and as fans we need to separate what they say they aspire to do from what they actually do. See the world as it is, not as an alternate reality when something different might have happened.

And, it doesn't matter what they paid Paul and Harden - HOW they allocated the payroll under the tax is irrelevant. The fact is, they stayed under the tax.

If they do go into the luxury tax this year, then kudos to them. Until then, it's all talk.

(And, frankly, Tilman bragging that "we're a contender and we're not even close to tax" tells me they are more likely to stop talking about spending than they are to start spending.)

TheFreak likes this.
  19. The Cat

It is perfectly reasonable to try and avoid the tax one year of the Chris Paul contract so that you aren't subject to repeater penalties.

If they don't do it this year, I will 100% be with you. Right now, the reason they're not using the NT-MLE is because it would prevent them from landing Iguodala (or anyone else in a Shumpert deal). They view those options as preferable to the NT-MLE names.

If they end up not using Shumpert's Bird rights AND don't use the NT-MLE, I'll agree with you.

rbradmag, Corrosion and joshuaao like this.
  20. The Cat

I'm always process over results, until the results happen over a large enough sample. To me, one year isn't that.

I guess if you want to go around assuming that everyone is lying to you, have at it. Just seems unnecessarily harsh, to me.