1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade our personnel minus Harden for Raptors personnel minus Kawhi and Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jun 8, 2019.

?

Would you trade ours for theirs?

1. Yes

83.9%
  2. No

16.1%
  1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The Raptors strengths are difficult to quantify in a simple box score, difficult to show in a highlights video and difficult to market by the media. Anyone could have looked at that roster post-Gasol and said:

Wow, these guys have 7 two-way players. Who has that? When has that ever happened?

Gasol
    Ibaka
    Siakam
    Kawhi
    Green
    Lowry
    Van Vleet

These guys are all good to great defenders, and none of them are ever offensive liabilities. None of them are liabilities at the FT line. None of them affect the spacing by being ignored at the 3pt line. 3 of them are elite catch and shoot players. Kawhi can create his shot at will, with Lowry a secondary shot creator and VV/Gasol able to create shots for others/themselves from the low/high post. Siakam, Kawhi, Van Vleet and Ibaka can outrun their opponents in transition.

6 of them are former 1st or 2nd team All Defense team, and the one who is not is guarding Curry. Gasol is a former DPOY. Kawhi is a DPOY level player who they can afford to rest by putting him on Draymond Green often. Siakam is a future DPOY.

3 of them have been in an NBA Finals before. 7 players on their roster have been to a conference finals.

There is not a single player in that 7-man roster that would not get at least 20 minutes in a Rockets playoff rotation. All of these things were true before they got to the Finals. The only player who is surprising with their production is Van Vleet, who happens to be shooting lights out. Siakam made a jump this regular season, but once that was established it was clear this team would shake up the top tiers of basketball. All the rest of the guys are doing what they've always done. Kawhi is not surprising me one bit, he was this good the last time he played.

To take a core that can go 17-5 without Kawhi against mostly lower tier NBA teams and be able to add a VERY well rested Kawhi to it is an excellent situation. They won 58 with Kawhi missing 22 games, seamlessly sliding him in and out of the line up such that the team knows how to function with or without him at a moment's notice.

This Rockets team went 11-14 to start the season with Harden playing "regular" superstar basketball. Harden played almost 37 minutes per game and 78 games and the best defensive season of his life to boot. Kawhi played 34 minutes and 60 games and played defense at a very leisurely pace as any Raptors fan will tell you. Come hell or high water, this guy was resting, regardless of other injuries to the team.

There were 5 games between us and the 8th seed. If Harden sat the 18 easiest games (on top of the 4 he missed with injury), where would we be? We'd be 8th seed at best. Ironically, it might have worked out better for us because the coaching staff and other players would have had 22 games of practice on WTF to do without James Harden dominating the ball. Harden would be rested. We would have started the playoffs without home court against the Warriors.

But no. Harden has to play 78. He has to average 37 minutes. 36 points, 6.6 rebounds, 7.5 assists, 2 steals. Win 53 games after starting 11-14. Highest usage rate in the history of the game. Paul struggling when healthy. Gordon absent the first 75% of the season. Carmelo, MCW and Ennis are so bad we pay to get rid of their minimum salary. Need help? Sure, I'd like to show you this late model Iman Shumpert for a tax credit and a first!

Playoffs come around. DESTROY the Jazz, one of the top defensive teams in the NBA and owners of a top 2 post All Star break record.

Now, beat the Warriors. Oh without homecourt. With a heavily watered down Chris Paul for the first 5 games. Our best defender is going to play 42 minutes a game. Capela is going to get hit by two viruses and then be a shell of his former self despite you constantly attempting to get him going. But we have Eric Gordon. And you can play unlimited minutes.

Why can't you beat the top seeded team in the West without home court advantage James? If you don't do it, you will never be able to do it. Because in the 3rd quarter of Game 5, the Warriors went from most talented team in history to the core of the team that has won an NBA title and had a 73-win regular season. But these are excuses. You should win no matter what. Yes, I know virtually no one has won a ring with less, but why can't you ever beat them with less talent? Durant goes down, doesn't mean your teammates should step up. You do it James. Score 50. Don't stop playing that great defense. Oh remember to create 7-8 assists. Oh we need those steals. Oh listen come up with plays on the fly. Oh go to the line 10 times too. You got something in your eye? ****. Can you see shapes? If you see shapes it's fine for a game or 2.

Why James? Don't you want to win?

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'm not convinced about this but it's a fair argument, i mean, i think we can agree it's at least a close call. For me it's pretty much like:

Harden = Kawhi
    CP3 = Lowry
    Gordon = Siakam
    Capela < Gasol
    PJ > Green

Rivers = VanVleet
    Ibaka > Nene
    Powell > Green...probably = House

I mean, i can agree with Lowry being a bit better than the last version of Chris, at the same time one can argue Harden is a bit better than Kawhi, that Clint in some match ups is better than Marc...Siakam is probably better than Eric, but by how much? Overall as today i don't think there's that big of a difference in terms of talent, if not that the Raptors have way more of it in the frontcourt, which makes them less predictable and more capable of scoring in multiple ways.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I’d trade it all for Siakim probably.

This is as much about type of player as it is about overall quality. At some point - seemingly after Parsons walked - DM decided to go guard heavy and/or with threes and forwards that really couldn’t do much.

Which has been infuriating.

hakeem94, TEXNIFICENT and justtxyank like this.
  4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

CP3 > Lowry
    Tucker > Siakam
    Gordon > DannyGreen
    Capela = Ibaka/Gasol
    VanVleet > Rivers
    House = Anunoby
    Nene > Lin

Again, nobody would have done this trade as recently as a few games ago when it looked like the Bucks would crush the raptors.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Don't agree that Gordon=Siakam. And then on top of it all, whether you think some of these players are comparable (like Harden-Kawhi) the fact that their entire roster is good on defense and are simply bigger than our roster is killer.

6. justtxyank

Yes, would have, and you are underrated Siakam. Siakam is a 17-20 point scorer on high efficiency with passing skills and defense. I love Tucker, but he's not a better player than Siakam has become.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. justtxyank

I don't think it's been by choice. He has wanted forwards, it's just hard to get them. He wanted Durant, Paul George, Jimmy Butler. He wants Green at the deadline this year. Guards are easier to get.

8. Mr. Clutch

Tucker is a better defender and 3pt shooter. Morey basically considers him untouchable.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I mean it’s been a number of years now. And other teams have gotten them. Getting the right good players is his job.

hakeem94 and J.R. like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Blame Daryl Morey. He built the roster. 12 ****ing years. But Masai can do it in one offseason? "The roster sucks! The roster sucks! Harden has no help! Harden has no help!" Who's fault is that?

Blame James Harden. Did you not hear Austin Rivers? James Harden IS the system! Of course they're gonna falter when he goes out. When one guy does everything and everyone else just stands around, the hell do you expect? Kawhi is not the Raptors system. Kawhi (or Lowry) does not dribble dribble dribble for 20 seconds. Raptors don't dribble out 20 seconds of the clock before getting into their sets or before trying to make their move or dribble out 20 seconds of the clock trying to get a preferred matchup.

Austin:
    Our playing style, everything is through him. That's what our offense is designed to do. The way we play is for him to do the things he does. That's a very hard thing to do in the playoffs. [...] If you look at our roster vs. theirs with KD out, it's not even close. Their bench is nowhere near the talent we had. Their best players can score without dribbling the ball.

We didn't make the proper adjustments.

You have guys like Chris Paul & Eric Gordon and other guys here waiting trying to we feel like help even more but our system is designed around [him]. Everyone is trying to figure out how do we change this, who do we talk to? It was frustrating.

Blame stubborn mule D'Antoni. Doesn't coach, doesn't call timeouts, doesn't make adjustments, doesn't use his bench, doesn't rest players. Even though he's the head coach, it's Jeff Bzdelik's, Roy Rogers', John Cho's & Irv Roland's fault he didn't adjust.

#50 J.R., Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

Well yeah, they have all good defenders, but it's not like we have poor ones aside for Gerald, the only big difference i can see is between Harden and Kawhi which we shouldn't consider for the op question. I mean, Chris, Eric, PJ and Clint are all pretty good defenders.

They're overall bigger, longer and more athletic, i'm mean, that's a fact, but in terms of talent i'm not sure they're better/much better.

I mean, do we think the Rockets would be better with this starting 5 and beat the Warriors:

Gasol
    Siakam
    Green
    Harden
    Lowry

...? Tbh i'm not sure, i certainly wouldn't bet on it.

#51 Vivi, Jun 9, 2019
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

100%. You're not taking the depth into account. That line up + Van Vleet and Ibaka and Powell off the bench would beat a Durant-less Warriors in a series with home court advantage.

Not a single person on that team is a liability on defense (that's huge) nor would we have to plant them 5 feet from the basket like Capela (that's huge). Siakam is a nightmare, it's only Tucker's elite performances that compare to Siakam's impact. Siakam's elite performances are dreams to Tucker. And I f'ing love Tucker btw. LOWRY. Man, Lowry has almost as many charges taken as the entire NBA in the playoffs. A charge taken is like a blocked shot with guaranteed possession.

House, Green, Shumpert and Nene would not see the court if they were Raptors.

Their 2-8 top players are far superior to ours. If CP3 had been able to throw it back, it becomes debatable. Basically, if Capela could hit 3's and pass the ball and Danuel House was participating in his 3rd NBA Finals, we would be close.

The difference between the top 2 teams in the NBA is usually not that big. Being able to dump it to Gasol in the high post or to Lowry/VV on the perimeter and watch them direct the offense gives us multiple options that can't be neutralized by a singular defensive strategy.

Again, 6 1st/2nd All NBA defensive players, 2 former DPOY's, 1 future DPOY, 3 former NBA Finalists, 2 champions, 7 legit two-way players.

What do we have that vaguely resembles that? Do we have 4 elite ANYTHING? Like 4 great passers? 4 great scorers? 4 great rebounders? 4 great defenders? Surely not. Do we have 2 elite anything? These guys have at LEAST 2 elite defenders and 3 other great defenders. We have no strength resembling that. Tucker is an elite defender. Harden is an elite scorer. Gordon is an elite shooter. That's it as far as what we had in these playoffs.

13. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

And he's 9 years younger than Tucker.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

CP3 isn't better than Lowry, thats a wash at BEST.
    NO WAY Capela equals Gasol and Ibaka. That's just laughable.

15. Mr. Clutch

It wouldn't win with harden going ghost, not moving, turning it over 6 times. That's the problem. People want a team that is so good that it covers up for that and his bad defense. That is very hard when you're best player is doing that.

How about expecting an all star team harden just moved?

#55 Mr. Clutch, Jun 9, 2019
    LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  16. 444-red center

Voted no for one reason , free agent . Would make trade if Kahwi agreed to atleast 2 yrs

17. Mr. Clutch

Everyone was saying lowry was a playoff choker before this year. Sure helps to have Kawhi
    make teammates better.

Ibaka was considered pretty washed a couple years ago. Gasol is playing better but still only averaging 9 ppg. Kawhi is making them look better.

I can imagine the b1tching about how these dudes can't create if they were here

BeardNation13 and J.R. like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

these rosters don’t even compare tbh...Toronto is much better

Emanuele Braghetti likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

@Mathloom well tbf i can also see the Rockets beat the Durantless Warriors with home court, especially with Klay going down for one important game.

What i won't argue is on the bench cause we just don't have a Ibaka kind of player (JaMaychal :(), and while Rivers has been really good, Gerald and House choked big time.

But overall i don't know, now everyone obviously jumps on the Raptors being suddenly amazing while everyone was saying for all the season that Harden was better than Kawhi, Paul was still a top 20 player while Lowry was a chocker, Gasol washed etc...so yeah, i'd like to stay in a middle ground here. While i think there's absolutely some truth on the Raptors being very good (to me their superior lenght and athleticism is what really stands out), i also think they're not on another level, the Warriors being far from their best is having a big impact here, no Durant for all the series, Looney and Klay missed games, Iguodala probably not very healty...Boogie came back, but like i expected he's not exactly having a great impact, Klay and Durant's impact are just on another level for their team. With the Warriors more healty i'm not sure we're having this argument right now. I wish Cousins played all the series against us instead of Durant and Klay, Looney.

#59 Vivi, Jun 9, 2019
    napalm06, MettaWorldPete and Mathloom like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

You guys taking Lowry over CP3? Yikes. Tap the brakes on that one.

I really think too many people on this forum are giving up on Chris Paul.

You do have to love the Raptors front line. Siakam, Gasol, Ibaka. Guys that can shoot and be effective on both ends of the court. And long.