1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Get rid of this, get rid of that

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OMGitsDanny, May 13, 2019.

1. OMGitsDanny

OMGitsDanny Member

No, we don't have to sell Chris Paul, Harden, Eric Gordon, Tucker etc. Yall would be the first to ask for Moreys head if we were to sell any of them, let's be honest. Just calm down. This team is a joy to watch and with a couple of adjustments we will get there.

For example, for a team that has Chris Paul on the roster, the ball movement is too stagnant. I would like to see less hero ball & last minute bailouts by Harden and more ball movement. THIS is what we need to work on this off season.

Trust in this team. We are close.

2. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

You need to add a good combo guard or wing with size and a post player that can shoot.

raining threes and edwardc like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

they're a kd, lebron, kawhi, AD away

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

sorry, but the Rockets need a star...keep in mind that CP0 will be even worse next year, Tucker will be older, etc...we need another star

Idk why anyone thinks Harden plus a bunch of role players will ever win a title. How many failures will y’all have to see the team go through? How many guys are winning a title as the only star on their team in today’s NBA? Why is Harden the exception?

if Morey brings in no star this summer thinking we’re just a few adjustments away, then u already know what it is for next year...50+ wins and a 2nd round or WCF exit

malakas, RocketRed84, Iron21 and 2 others like this.
  5. mr2evolution

mr2evolution Member

I've been telling myself "Hey at least we aren't...<insert bad team here>" - this year it was the Lakers

hakeem94 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  6. deshen

deshen Member

This team had record 3-1 over Warriors in regular season. that would make you think this rockets team is better than Warriors. Actually the distance between this team and championship is much much far away than majority of us think.

One simple question. We saw a lot of star players in champion team are willing to cut paycheck for their team. LeBron, Curry, Durent, etc. Harden left a title contender to get paid before wining championship. Does it make sense to any of you that this will be a champion team any time soon?

If this team stays the way it is, and continue having Morey as general Manager, I do not see championship here. I do not think adding one or two more superstars will make this team a champion.

7. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Trade cp3 to hornets for Batum,kemba walker, and Tony Parker.

I have a resurrection project list I would like to see rockets go after.

Free agents:

1. Derrick Rose
    2. John wall
    3. Oj mayo
    4. Nick young

malakas likes this.
  8. OMGitsDanny

OMGitsDanny Member

Harden and co loves Chris Paul. We ain't selling him.

9. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

If you actually think regular season records vs an opponent translate into the playoffs you're as ignorant as they get.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. HadToDoItCF

HadToDoItCF Member

I'm guessing that from James Harden's perspective, the ball moves too much. This makes him look lazy as he saunters up and down the court.

Anyone have a clip of James Harden laying out for a ball?

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Yeah I'm surprised Gordon is on team USA. No lie. Surprised cp3 is there too.

FIBA basketball is a highly anticipates event.

12. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Josh Jackson, who is still on his rookie deal, just got into legal trouble again. The Suns might look to get rid of him and maybe he can be had for cheap for a draft pick or two. He's young, ultra athletic, has size, and would really add to our perimeter D.

13. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Sell Mike 'Fools Gold' D'Antoni for anything we can get. Magic beans, cash considerations, nothing, or whatever. MDA has got to go. I can't handle watching this garbage basketball anymore. We need a coach that can tell the GM, who stocks the shelves, how to run the day to day operation. We need to do something different in terms of strategy. McHale was a joke and MDA is a regular season genius and post season dummy.

Thinking aloud: Mark Jackson, Jay Wright, Tom Izzo. We need someone who can challenge the team and bring in some serious strategy. Do you think Draymond Green is this type of player without Tom Izzo? You can see it ever play that he makes - Tom Izzo is right there in his head challenging his decisions. Maybe it's too late for Harden, but I don't think it's too late to give up. We need a coach, not a cheer leader.

Sell MDA ASAP.

rcketsfan1

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You misread homie's post.

15. edwardc

edwardc Member

And a coach that will use his player correctly and not fold over in the playoffs.

16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

The Rockets need size, athleticism, and shooting in the front court. Capela, Gordon, and draft picks are our assets of value. Adding Jimmy Butler would be awesome, especially if we can make a value play on getting D'Andre Jordan to sign for the MLE. Find a way to resign Rivers, and maybe Hartenstein is ready next year. The other guy like I mentioned in a response that we might be able to get on the cheap is Josh Jackson (don't know if he's a realistic option, but he got into legal trouble again, and he might be available on the cheap). If he can come off the bench... that roster sounds like a contender to me...

- CP3/Rivers
    - Harden/Rivers
    - Buter/Jackson
    - Tuck/Butler
    - DJ/iHart

17. OMGitsDanny

OMGitsDanny Member

Even Steve Kerr acknowledged the fact that they struggled against us. We are one of the toughest teams he's ever played against. Not my words.

18. OMGitsDanny

OMGitsDanny Member

I can see Gordon still with us next season tbh. Capela however is our biggest (realistic) asset right now. Let's wait and see what happens. Interesting times.

raining threes likes this.
  19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

We're not close.

There is a tendency to think if only we had this or that, we'd be over the hump. Then reality happens. If only we had another all-star level ballhandler. If only they didn't have KD. If only we didn't miss 27 straight three pointers.

Basketball isn't a zero sum game. GSW loses KD, and they don't lose 35 points a game in their total offense. Other players step in, existing players get more shots, or play differently.

Rockets aren't close because of scheme. Their scheme leaves them open to problems. Lionel Hollins had a good bit on this on NBA radio on Saturday morning. The 4 out lack of movement scheme with lots of threes will ALWAYS struggle offensively against great teams that can scheme against you. The idea of offense is creating motion and confusion for the defense. Our scheme does the opposite. And sure, when you can't gameplan for it, it works wonders, because we have great ISO players. When you can scheme for ISO players, though, you now have an offense relying more on role players that don't know what to do outside their role, and you are constantly against a shot clock. The opponent has schemed a defense that has to rotate some but not a lot, and knows exactly what to do. Consider how Utah improved against the Rockets seemingly each game defensively. They were adopting a brand new scheme they basically never ran before. GSW didn't have to do that because their defense didn't rely on a big guy that Harden could neutralize. Utah knew Gobert would be neutralized in a classic defense they run, so adopted a completely different scheme. The Rockets won 4-1, but as much because of their defense as offense again. At the same time, with all the threes being shot, you end up with lots of rebounds leading to transition baskets the other way.

On top of that, again, we have the Harden in big games issue. 7-12 was his worst FT shooting performance of the year. BTW, here's his NCAA tournament performance: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/james-harden-1/gamelog/2009 Choked in those big games, too.

So, are we close? Maybe if we magically add AD to the team. Otherwise... no.

#19 JayZ750, May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  20. edwardc

edwardc Member

I get what he was saying but a really good coach can change his game to match what the other team is doing.There is so much talent on this team be lose with the other team best player out MDA got out coached.