1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should only focus on keeping James Harden and PJ Tucker -Kendrick Perkins

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stormy1234, May 12, 2019.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

I saw every minute of every game this season, including pre-season and post-season. And yet, weirdly enough, I still think trading the one of the 2-3 best players in the league and keeping a $40M/yr "mentor to our new young core" is indefensibly NOT smart.

slothy420, RayRay10 and Patience like this.
  2. pass_to_Hakeem

Oh they MUST bring Rivers back!! I never thought I’d be a River’s fan but his heart and hustle and defense , it’s something this team needs more of

3. pass_to_Hakeem

You might wanna plan for a different “2nd Star”, I don’t think Butler will leave Philly and if he does I don’t think it’s for Houston! I see wanting more of a prominent role like fit a Clippers team or maybe even NY if they don’t get Durant

4. jcf

jcf Member

So weird the sentiments here. The reason we are all so disappointed is because we actually had a chance the last two seasons to bring down an arguably historically great team.

That didn't happen because the front office sucked. Or MDA sucked. Or are players are losers.

Most of the rest of the league would have done anything to have our shot the last two seasons.

So, we lost. And it was frustrating.

But this fiction that great players play great every game is bs. There were games were Steph and Klay were terrible.

Maybe we won't get over the hump. But, we have been incredibly close the last two years.

And for all those with amnesia, if Game 1 had been called close to properly, we would have had a game 7 at least.

Don't throw out what gave you hope that almost no one else in the league had or has.

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Prominent how....what team wants Jimmy as a nner one...that team wont win. He a nber 2 period. Nothing wrong with that..wade was a 2...pippen was a 2. He would get plenty of shine next to harden. Since then u wouldnt need harden to be super sayian in reg season. He would be harden in the reg n harden would be reg season harden of pass in the playoffs...bet u butler gets to allstar game in Houston unlike cp3...that's shine. Like pg13 n west

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Too soon? Lol

Maybe not you but people have been begging for a blowed up roster every single time any rocket misses a shot for the last 5 years. The worst part about all of this weak stew is incessantly self-deprecating fans get to feel justified for their loyal lack of appreciation. Like half of the posters here get high AF on negativity. Y’all deserve this ****, really.

Kendrick is right by the way. It’s cutthroat time and there’s 2 throats not under a guillotine.

Slimfa, RayRay10 and jcf like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The backcourt is fine. I'll take heat for this, and I understand that people are pissed and Paul's salary makes him the punching bag. But the frontcourt is where we need attention. We do not have a contending front court. Yes, we have Tucker. Then we have Capela who fills a specific role and no one to fill the other front court roles that a contender needs.

Balance the front and backcourts, try to keep Rivers cheap, and consider using Gordon/Capela as trade assets is the way I'd approach it.

8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Yea but CP in a more structured offense puts him back into a more traditional point guard role. Right now he's basically a spot up shooter w/ James. You trade James for 2 or 3 young solid pieces, re-tool the offense, keep the same defensive principles, you're still a good team. Keeping Harden will only piss off the core fanbase every year he quits in the postseason. Are we trying to win championships or watch Harden rack up regular season accolades?

9. farhen

farhen Member

found our new GM :p

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I guarantee you our shot at a title next year is better with Harden and pretty much anyone than it is with CP3 and young solid pieces. CP3 couldn't get it done in LA with experienced solid pieces.

rgw20014life and Stormy1234 like this.
  11. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

gladly trade him if anyone wants him, but chances are no one will take him so we have to have him mentor. I am personally ready for the process. Look what the astros did.

12. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Harden lead the NBA in 3's by FAR this year. He also lead the league in PPG & overall points, along with unassisted 3's. He KNOWS how to get his shot. Him attempting only ONE shot in the last 7 7mins of game 5, the biggest opportunity for us to finally beat the Warriors, solidified his legacy as a quitter. This was boderline point shaving

13. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I am simply too old to invest as I once did. There was a time in my teens and twenty's that I would be walking around moping and depressed for the day. Possibly shopping for a new TV. But as I age I realize it is just a game. Sucks they lost. Sucks there does not appear to be any solution (viable) on the horizon due to being cap strapped. I can't pretend to know what solutions there are at this point. I don't think you touch Harden. You couldn't trade Paul if you wanted to and I think it would be foolish to trade PJ. Honestly I think we have been quite lucky EG's health has held up as long as it has. I think if he and Capella can draw an intriguing piece it has to be explored.

For a team that focuses on so d*** many threes not having a shooter that is close to sniffing 40% seems moronic. Warriors have 2 and they don't shoot as many. Analytics might work to a degree. But the warriors shooting less threes with better shooters has spanked us four of the last five years. It is time to admit that philosophy is not getting it done unless we get a prime Ray Allen and a prime Dale Ellis along with a bench prime Brent Barry coming through the door.

Just disappointing. These Warriors are our modern day Seattle Supersonics. The tables were turned. Game 5 they lost a player. We could have done what they did to us last year and take the last two and snuffed them out. But we rolled over and took it.

There are no moral victories. I don't give a sh*t that we beat them 3 of 4 in the regular season or we took them 7 last year or played them the best. 2nd place gets you a fake rolex and a ticket home. To hell with that. As a fan I WANT MORE.

smp and GotGame15 like this.
  14. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

Or gun shy. What if he did take shots and missed them all. He would be more crucified. Dude needs a sports psychologist and a killer instinct.

15. slpntz

slpntz Member

Capela needs to be traded. You can't call out a team and then no show against them. Weak ass!

Stormy1234 likes this.
  16. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

You sure? Where was he game 5 and 6? I agree when he came in game 1 he provided an injection of hustle and energy. But game 5 in 24 minutes he simply converted oxygen to carbon dioxide. I am not opposed to bringing him back. But, lets not pretend that he is a needle mover.

GotGame15 likes this.
  17. jowman

jowman Member

Trade capela and a pick for klove. Dude is the only legit player u can get for capela cause Cavs are rebuilding and love is on an unfriendly contract. This makes us better as flawed as love is he has some unique strengths that make him worth getting capela is a complete bum. Gotta trade him before he lowers his trade value any more.

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You mean Clint "I want Golden State" Capela? Clint, who changed his jersey number to -36 after the first two games of the series?

slpntz likes this.
  19. slpntz

slpntz Member

Dude played like absolute GARBAGE! Aside from 1 block he was a complete no show.

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am ok with Harden + CP backcourt but the Rockets need to take into account CP's decline and make that difference up elsewhere.

CP's ball handling and decision making is still needed to keep Harden in check, unless we can magically find someone else for that role.

And yes, front court is where this team needs to focus on.

Also, if your game plan is to jack up 50 3 pointers a game, dead eye shooters would help.

napalm06 likes this.