1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Villone signs with Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Feb 9, 2004.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Seattle add Villone to bullpen

February 9, 2004
    SEATTLE (AP) -- Left-handed reliever Ron Villone agreed Monday to a $1 million, one-year contract with the Seattle Mariners.

The 34-year old Villone, a nine-year veteran originally drafted by the Mariners, went 6-6 with a 4.13 ERA last season with the Houston Astros.

In addition to his salary, Villone can make up to $1 million in performance bonuses.

He is expected to join the team when pitches and catchers report to spring training Feb. 20.

Good for him. While not spetacular last season, I firmly believe that the Astros would have been worse than just one game back. He helpd hold together a rotation that was killed by injuries.

2. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

I really, honestly liked Ron Villone, and was sad to see him go.

The man was a gamer, plain and simple. Was he our best pitcher? Of course not. He was an average pitcher, but he was better than anything else we had for his spot.

I wish him all the best.

3. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I second that

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

He'll do very well. he's a tough minded, tough SOB who is a late bloomer.

I wish the 'stros had dropped the mil on him to spot start/long relieve/set-up etc etc ...

5. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I liked Villone and I think he'll do well in the American League...

6. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I like the guy while he was on our team.

Well, good luck in your new home.

7. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Villone is really going to excel in Seattle... that heavy air and big ballpark will work wonders for his inflated ERA.