1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston is just...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Le$$, Apr 27, 2019.

1. smp

smp Member

Houston is just

an underdog again. We aren’t favored to win but we have a legitimate chance. As long as we are on the wrong side of 4 Allstars vs 1, that’s how it’s going to be.

It was about to be 5 vs 1. Lol. It’s so ridiculous.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

what record is GS 2015-2019?

67-15?

I don't have time to figure out tonight.

3. icewill36

icewill36 Member

when have the rockets ever had a roster that is supposed to dominate ? it wasnt until cp3 he finally got a legit star next to james. unfortunately its one passed his prime. I'm not sure the strategy of just surrounding a superstar with minimum contracts is going to ever get it done but i guess we will see.

vlaurelio and smp like this.
  4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

This is horrible analysis, you took one constant of Harden, and completely ignore EVERY other internal and external variable to the team? Star players, role players, coaching staff, offensive and defensive system, changes in James development and work ethic, opponents, opponents health, the list is too extensive to complete here. I really hope you don't invest in the stock market, or forecast anything that has a material effect on other people's life, because you are horrible at it.

vlaurelio and CCity Zero like this.
  5. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I actually hope he plays poker or I was handling his sports betting as his bookie vs stock market (especially if he had influence on actually forecasting like this for others) so I can take some of the money when he's on tilt (instead of him losing someone else's investments).

Anyway, like you mention it's too easy a take and too simplified (there's a ton of variables, especially in a series). This thought process is dangerous and definitely not good for forecasting (especially if he was trading stocks), I just threw in the poker/sports example because if you simplify it too much you're going to get rolled over, just like in stocks, looking at one variable??? That would be pretty stupid to put it lightly.

On a side note, I'm sure the op is basically setting this up as one of the miserable fans that gets to say "I told you so" and is a shitty fan (essentially a masochistic fan). Even though his example is too simple it won't matter if he predicted something right (it's a win on the internet), but then if he's wrong he'll just make some **** up ie jinx thread or disappear.

BallSoHarden and YOLO like this.
  6. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Also bringing up playoff series.... I'm definitely a lot more satisfied as Rockets fan with Harden's record (other than that one LAL series where Yao got injured) this is the closest the Rockets have been with a player that could legitimately have a shot at winning it all over the years (well you know, since the Dream). This will be a tough series and if I'm wrong on the Rockets winning, I'm on a Rockets board for a reason.... Harden is still a top player, he plays for the Rockets and represents Houston sports, and the Warriors will probably be a different team next year, so there's still a window left.

I do agree the nba is broken with how Durant joined, but if Harden can win this series it will be probably one of the best wins ever, just sending the Warriors packing is worth it alone to have hope.

vlaurelio likes this.
  7. noppeper

noppeper Member

That's pretty dominate.

Wulaw Horn and vlaurelio like this.
  8. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

They don't have to be dominant, or dominate either, to win a championship. They just have to score a few more points than the other guys, when it counts, this year.

9. dkim1984

dkim1984 Member

GSW only had us by 4 games in the season bc a poor start. After melo and injury bugs were solved, we were lit. Last year we had to go on a historic streak of bad luck and the loss of a pivotal player to lose to them. And this year people are already teeing up excuses by talking about how Demarcus hurts their three-peat chances.

They have 4 all stars. And again, still only ended with 4 more reg season wins. We have the talent to beat them. We just need health and a productive Harden, which I think we have in spades now that he’s got that floater solid.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I told you guys about fake fans invading Clutchfans
    None of you believed me
    Now the wall has burnt down and these brainless dead led by the Newb King is coming

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

You're embarassing yourself.

The Rockets are 15-7 (68.2%) in the playoffs in the Harden/Paul era. They won 3 out of 4 (75%) playoff series they've played thus far.

#51 omgTHEpotential, Apr 28, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    CCity Zero likes this.
  12. Reeko

Reeko Member

there needs to be a purge

CCity Zero likes this.
  13. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Yeah you know it all man. Get this man Homer trophy.
    Im not a fake fan, i was just stating open question about how the rockets faired in playoffs, they are not dominating opponents. They have lost against teams like Spurs, Blazers, Thunder, Warriors(3 times).. They are a good team, but not great. Does this year make them great or mention on NBA TV as a team that can take down anyone now.

Even if they take down the warriors, and get thru Denver, for our First Western Confrence championship since 95, They still have to get thru Milwakee Bucks and chris paul is declining. Can they afford to resign folks or extend players like Faried, Rivers, Gordon(If Affordable)... Can they stay on top as a dominate team, or will they be flushed, and Harden bolts for stonger team, and we are stuck with a aging paul? Just wondering....

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

stop all this lame ass trolling...

sirbaihu likes this.
  15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

"Dude, like I was just wondering if the Rockets can really win it all. Coz they didn't win it recently. And then, if they win it all, can they win again? It was just a new thought I got. Not thread-worthy?"

CCity Zero likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I think that first Warriors series sucked, not on the level of Paul being hurt, but when Josh Smith rolled into Dwight's leg he basically played with a bum knee that caused the series to be done. I think it would have been a better series and by no means saying it was a sure thing, the closest the Rockets have been was last season for sure until Paul got hurt. I'm not some Dwight fan either but he seemed less ego driven that year and was at least attempting some pnr. Obviously one of the greatest collapses in NBA history occurred for them to even be there, and while Harden didn't play great in that game, iirc he did good in game 7 vs LACs.

The Spurs series I think Harden was either fatigued or possibly suffering from a concussion from the previous game. Yeah, we can all point to his playoff performances or make other excuses, but he legitimately wasn't even shooting the first half. Aside from that, this year I liked in the Utah series game 3 he at least did a lot of other things he normally wouldn't have from some of his past years, and made some big plays when it counted, Utah also has the 2nd best defense, and that series certainly should have given the Rockets more fits than the Warriors having trouble with the Clips.

And also, I realize you might be pointing out how difficult it will be, but I think other than the Rockets and maybe the Bucks those are the only teams this year that have a shot against the Warriors. That's not being a homer either, the Rockets have been playing great, especially since all star break. The media is even stating as such (and they hate houston sports). I think the best thing the Rockets have going for them currently is the GSWs trying to go 5 seasons to the Finals and they're doing it in the tougher west. Fatigue and they're aging bench, along with the drama of leaving Oakland, Durant not committing, and Kerr most likely having a tough time with the egos (Green having to be suspended for basically calling Durant a "b****"), all play into Rockets favor. I mean Warriors HC advantage isn't what it used to be and their regular season and po record reflect that this year. They would have never lost two games like that on their HC against the Clippers.

I also realize this is a lot having to go right and while it might not be guaranteed or something, and I don't bet on emotions, I still think the Rockets have a chance to do it. The Warriors losing Cousins will hurt and opens the window a bit more, the Rockets don't have to worry about a guy who can put up points/rebounds in the paint. Sure, we can all point out how Bogut was brought back for defense/role player ability, but Cousins can certainly alter things when their 3s aren't falling, Houston got a small taste of that (yes, regular season, but a real eye opener).

Anyway tl;dr, what were your thoughts when Hakeem's teams weren't winning it all / not that great of a PO record (removing the 94/95 teams), or the wonderful T-Mac/Yao era, where the only series won was with Artest and Yao (w/ McGrady injured on the bench)? You want to talk about poor PO record.. McGrady (even though that Dallas series was rigged), never won a series, unless he was on the bench in street clothes or joining a team (Spurs) way after his career was essentially over.

Even if the Rockets don't do it this year, there's still a window... Yeah, it's smaller, and it will all depend on if Morey has any magic left or if Tilman is willing to spend. And as a fan I'd rather pay attention to the current series, but I can pretty much put money on this being the end of the Warriors window (especially if Durant leaves).

W/O Durant actually carrying them last series in game 6, the Clippers might be playing a game 7 today. And while Curry/Klay will certainly play today, running that Clippers series long did them no favors.

17. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Milwaukee has to get by Boston first..