1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets trade for Iman Shumpert

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He's very good at moving the ball quickly coast to coast - he doesn't trot that rock. That's something

Newlin, D-rock, s3ts and 1 other person like this.
  2. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Hard to argue with you when you refer to Knight as a large expiring when he’s not expiring.

You either didn’t know that or you’re going to argue that he’s “basically” expiring, but he’s not. One is either expiring this year or isn’t. Clutchfans thinks you can tell a GM “next year you can trade him for something big because he’ll be a large expiring” and that GM will bite, but that doesn’t actually work in front offices.

napalm06 and roslolian like this.
  3. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Iman "Was James Ennis really that bad?" Shumpert.

jerryclark and J Sizzle like this.
  4. s3ts

s3ts Member

James Ennis was certainly worse.

I keep forgetting how little options we have when we still put Gary Clark on the court.

FML.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

House > shame

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

7. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

7 points, 8 boards, 2 assists in 25 minutes is not bad.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There was a time I hoped for the same thing …. but damn , as poor as Shumpert has played , how do you resign him for anything close to what he's making now ? At that price he's a negative asset even on a one year deal.

Had he come in and played relatively well , you definitely keep him … and hopefully he makes someone else on a similarly sized contract expendable allowing you the ability to use that other guy and his contract in a trade. That just hasn't been the case ….

Now , you are in a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation. Makes that trade appear even worse than it did when it was made - absolute worst case scenario.

No draft picks , no cap space , no tradable contracts (that don't subtract). At this point , I'd rather not have made the deal for Shumpert at all - hell , Id rather have Ryno , Melton and the pick back …. That's a lot of ammunition to make a move to improve , all for tax avoidance.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

You win some you lose some. Nobody's perfect and Morey def made a mistake with the Ryno trade or even the signing in the first place.

But no point crying over spilled milk Rox are in a good spot now 3rd seed in the West and the only team in the L who has a chance against the Warriors.

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Completely agree you don't resign Shump anything close to his current deal. To me, it only makes sense if it's a contract that's mostly non-guaranteed. I'm no capologist, and don't know if that's possible. But ideally a new deal would function effectively like a trade exception and not count toward luxury tax penalties if waived by the trade deadline.

I share your frustration about the trades from this year. This team seems like one good (not great) forward from being complete in a contending year, and the roster moves to date have just not gotten it done. Still, anything is possible.

11. PeppermintCandy

He had good chemistry with Rivers in the second unit last game vs Denver.

And off tangent but Rivers had a +/- of +34. Holy smokes.

D-rock and J Sizzle like this.
  12. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Houston lose 10 points after shamp is out

13. Roxs-Redemption

Disappointing to see the up and down of Shumpert so far in the uniform.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mostly down.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure why anybody is surprised.

It's tough for Shump to fit this system. In general he's never really been a reliable 3 point shooter. On defense, he's having a hard time adjusting and refuses to switch when he needs to. I'm not a fan and hope we don't bring him back next season.

harold bingo and Roxs-Redemption like this.
  16. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Morey could not have performed more poorly with the wing position this year.

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the directive from top was to spend as little as possible. He's only hit was House and we will likely lose the guy this off-season. With even less money and assets to work with next season, Morey better hope Rockets win championship this year.

18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Shumpert has been horrible. We are better off with Faried's size and rebounding or Clark's defense.

Just f'in switch and communicate on defense and sit your a$$ in the corner on offense. We're 7-8 games away from the playoffs. I had mediocre hopes for this guy. What a waste of a draft pick. Won't even be worth anything in a sign and trade now.

19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i hope he isnt in the playoff rotation

JamesC and BaselineFade like this.
  20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I actually wouldn't mind trying more Clark in these last games to see if we can gain some rebounding and lenght while sliding for those few minutes PJ at the 3 and/or House/Green at the 2...i just don't think that's going to happen at this point of the season though, and maybe it's the right thing to do, i really like Clarks but i don't know if he's ready. Regardless, there's no way i take Gerald out of the rotation to play Iman as today.