1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Harden is the best player I’ve ever seen

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lockedin34, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

op obviously didn't watch 90s rockets, or else he would say mario elie is the best.

Houstunna likes this.
  2. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Just stop it. I grew up watching 80s basketball through now. I’m on record in another thread saying Harden is the best I’ve ever seen as well.

He doesn’t have the ring yet but there’s no question on his greatness.

BigMaloe, luckyman76, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Did you just never watch a Bulls game or something?

BigMaloe and Houstunna like this.
  4. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Brother I agree with your very valid points. Harden even without a ring as a transcendental player of this caliber def cracks top 15 as is in my opinion. I think if he can get just ONE ring GOAT is done.

5. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Hey I’m not here to pick an argument. Yes I did. Are you so enamored by MJ that you can’t see what Harden is doing in the past few years?

D-rock and vlaurelio like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Harden has been awesome, Jordan was on a different level IMO. A more efficient offensive player, a top defensive player at his position, and he consistently ramped up his game in the playoffs.

I’ll put it this way. If I could choose a random team with Jordan to win a 7 game series in Jordan’s era, versus a random team with Harden to win a 7 game series in Harden’s era, I will go with the Jordan-led team.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nobody blew the Kiss of Death better than Mario, as if he kissed Grim Reaper himself.

Houstunna and Jontro like this.
  8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

There used to be a player for the rockets he won mvp, dpoy, and fmvp. I think he was a little better.

Houstunna and durvasa like this.
  9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Mj never had to carry random guys during his championship years

harden had to carry random guys ever since except for an aging cp3

If harden had a pippen and rodman type players with him he would have won chips now.

Mjs goat. But hardens a great offensive player in mjs level

Houstunna, luckyman76 and D-rock like this.
  10. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

The Dream is still the best Rocket ever, primarily because of the Championships. But from an offensive dominance standpoint, you can argue that Harden over the last 5 years was more dominant than Dream over a 5 year period.

I still say for Rockets - Dream 1, Harden 1a. But we’ve hopefully got a few years that could change that.

smp and D-rock like this.
  11. solid

solid Contributing Member

I have seen almost all of the greats. Wilt was the most amazing player ever, in a league by himself. Jordan was spectacular and has a boatload of rings. As to the Rockets, Rudy was no slouch, Dream was special, but so was Calvin, Elvin, and Moses. Until Harden wins a championship, he is really not in the conversation. He is the most unique player I have seen play. He works the system masterfully. Thus far, unfortunately, he is mainly a regular season wonder. History is made the playoffs.

smp and daywalker02 like this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

Harden's having the best season of any superstar the last 10-15 years, maybe longer. He has the "it" gene MJ had. But if he has another game 6 after a season like this, it'll not only diminish his season, but destroy his legacy forever. The stakes are higher than ever

13. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

James is arguably better than Hakeem -- in the regular season.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And primarily because Defense was valued in the past, now it seems Offense can sometimes compensate for it.

And because he was great on Defense and very good to borderline great on Offense as well. Tru dominance on both sides and consistently.

D-rock likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Basically you know you can win a championship with Olajuwon and a bunch of shooters and not necessarily having to have a great PG.

Inside Outside game worked wonders in the past.

But Harden needs a good Center/PF and a very good to great PG to at least compete.

This is the first 30-40 games stretch that he could win all games by himself without Chris Paul in the regular season that is.

He is on a good way.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Harden might be the best offensive player ever, but for the time Hakeem is a better overall player.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Such a unique player that it’s so hard to judge his place in history, but he’s up there.

Being the best player in basketball at a time where the game has Lebron, Durant, Curry and others in their prime is no small feat.

But you know how it goes. He will always be in that second HOF class with Nash, Malone, Barkley, etc until he wins it all at least once.

18. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I absolutely agree with this HOWEVER Harden is the ONLY player in the NBA right now that can do what he did last night to GIVE his team a win. There just isn't ANYONE like him right now, no one EVEN CLOSE. If that's not the definition of a MVP then the award shouldn't exist.

DavidRocket likes this.
  19. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

During those championship years Hakeem was like Giannis WITH an unstoppable turn around jump shot.

Harden reminds me a lot of Hakeem though. One way is how as they've matured they seem to love the game of basketball and have whatever make up that is that wants to get better in the off season. Another way is how the national narrative is, "How do you stop Hakeem (Harden)? You can't." That was a weekly article from a national outlet and one I never got tired of reading. Like I don't get tired of reading them now.

We are blessed fans. Truly blessed. And don't even get me started on the rest of the team Love those guys too.

smp likes this.
  20. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

There is no right/wrong answer. What is amazing though is we are legitimately having this conversation. I'm loving this!!!

Can't wait for the playoffs.