1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Giannis commits an offensive foul just about every time he has the ball

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by bmd, Mar 18, 2019.

1. bmd

bmd Member

He's allowed to get away with a LOT of offensive contact to bully his way to the rim.

He's already leading the league in offensive fouls by a pretty significant margin. He has 63 on the year. Second on the list is KAT with 54... and he leads 3rd place Julius Randle by a significant margin. (Randle has 45). Also, 17 out of the top 20 offensive foulers are all big men. So it's an outlier that Giannis would not only be on the list, but be leading the list by a large margin.

So he's doing a significant amount of fouling that's getting called, but he's still fouling constantly and it isn't being called. It's one of those things where the ref isn't going to blow the whistle every time, so if you just do it excessively you'll get away with it most of the time.

You have to wonder how a player who can't shoot can score as much as he does, and it's because he bullies his way to the basket on offense and it isn't being called nearly as often as it should.

RichieBanks, Deuce, B-Bob and 14 others like this.
  2. Dutchrudder!

Dutchrudder! Member

Just following in Lebron's steps. Superstar treatment happens, Harden benefits from it a lot too, just in a different way.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Where do fans learn how to write thread titles like this — Reddit? Twitter?

Haymitch and fckbandwagons like this.
  4. today

today Contributing Member

I'm not that familiar with Giannis, but I can speak in regards to Harden...

Every year Harden comes out with a new "loophole" move that exploits the current rules and puts defenders in impossible situations. About 4-5 years ago, Harden's move was to use his shoulders to create contact while driving to the bucket. He would use it to create space, as well as to draw fouls. It was awesome during the regular season, but late in the season and in the playoffs, the refs started calling more offensive fouls on him. Some were warranted, but some were unwarranted because the refs were trying to make an example out of him.

Don't be surprised if they start doing the same thing to Giannis.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. smokieethabear

But... But... Harden gets away with travel all the time! ;)

6. Mr. Space City

You can’t get physical with him at all, especially in the post.

I’m not sure playing 10 yards off him and letting him get a head start at you is the best defense against him either.

All he does is run straight into people and they gift him free throws.

He also travels all the time.

But the media and fans love him because he’s an athletic freak and dunks so nobody really cares.

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I mean, do u expect the refs to be calling every single offensive foul?

Giannis has an ugly game to me

Giannis gotta bully his way to the rim going full speed all game to score the majority of his buckets...meanwhile, Harden can just stepback and drill an effortless three or dance on his defender and blow by them to the rim for a smooth layup...Harden’s game is so smooth, it looks like he’s not even trying...Giannis got that skinny Lebron minus a jumper type game

Harden can drop 50 while never going any faster than a light jog

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Sounds like an argument that needs a lot more evidence. I don't see where the meat of the argument is for the amount of fouls he's being called for not being enough. Why isn't it just right? Why can't we say he's being called for too many?

don grahamleone likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

his game is ugly... he doesnt play basketball the way it should be played

pippendagimp and Invisible Fan like this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

what pisses me off is the taunts he is allowed after a no jump dunk.

11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

You can definitely tell he got the gimmick from LBJ. His bully ball is failing him now because he is a poor FT shooter and he gets tired going to the rim but he has always relied on that versus jumpshooting. That is how he maintained his efficiency levels. This goes back to the pre-Miami days and he just never moved away from it. In Miami, Bosh had to play the 5 because LBJ got tired playing the wing and pushed into Bosh at the 4. When this happened in the Land it didn't work as well because Love didn't have that rim protector ability or defense for that matter.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

from my seats, this statement very much is true. I'm usually not a big fan of simplifying descriptions of someone's game, but this really is the vast majority of his scoring. He goes downhill early in the shot clock, while Bud spreads the floor with shooters. If the offense is set, he's not nearly as effective, so he tries to do it while in transition or early clock starting from like 40' out.

He does not dribble nearly as well as any of the real perimeter players in the league, but his extraordinarily long strides make up for his lack of dribbling, first step...so he actually can get by you...but in somewhat of an artificial bullrush way, compared to the elite drivers.

Durant isnt that great of a driver either, but obviously he's got much better handles and shooting options once he starts his fairly generic drives. Giannis is Durant's driving ability with longer strides, but without the ability to shoot much off the dribble.

bottomline: Bud has created spacing for him, but he's going to face playoff defenses to stop him, and make him pass...and he will suck at it. Plus, he shoots 72% FTs so teams will foul him in the end game, if he's going downhill.​

#12 heypartner, Mar 19, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  13. Handles

Handles Member

Casual NBA fans always say Harden’s playstyle won’t work in the playoffs, but that’s just stupid. Harden and rockets playstyle actually HAS worked. You only need to look at last year, but there’s plenty of evidence even further back.

It’s Giannis’ playstyle that I’m worried about. More physical defense and game planning in the playoffs. Bud is a good coach but I anticipate he’s going to have TONS of adjusting to do to make up for Giannis’ lack of shooting. And if refs call offensive fouls for Giannis’ bully ball? Good luck bucks.

don grahamleone likes this.
  14. 417Rocket

417Rocket Member

Yeah I'm not buying the Bucks hype...I see them out in 2nd rd tbh

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Star treatment is like a teaser drug for the player and the fans.

It allows the league to skew the narrative.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Isn't that the same criticism Shaq got in his prime, that he just bulled his way to the basket?

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yes. In fact Giannis is almost like a "perimeter SHAQ"

Easy likes this.