1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Buyout Day!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Mar 1, 2019.

1. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

2. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

March 24th

This isn’t the deadline but it’s when the Gleague season ends and the Rockets can bring him up at no cost. This is likely when you will see him. The deal is only likely to get done on the last day of the regular season.

It’s possible we don’t bring him up till a deal is done for leverage purposes though.

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

whats this about nuts

Hakeemtheking and Jontro like this.
  4. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

A sign and trade would trigger the hard cap, but I believe the Rockets would try the “opt-in and trade”, just like they did with CP3. That wouldn’t trigger the hard cap.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i think there is no way butler leaves $15M on the table to do that

6. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

I doubt he would either

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I would’ve said the same thing about Chris Paul two years ago.

Odds are, if Butler were to opt-in for a trade to the Rockets, he’d be making that money back — and then some — when he re-signs on July 1, 2020 to a ludicrously large max deal from the Rockets.

8. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Ummm. Good one?

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

and in this scenario i see no way tilman agrees to pay $125M+ going forward for just 4 roster players :D

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Wouldn't that still be just 9 years experience for Butler? I thought the big max was after playing 10 years.

11. Garner

Garner Member

Signing Butler to a max feels a lot like signing Boogie to a max.

I guess you do it, but does anyone feel good about it? Every team he joins suddenly has chemistry issues. He going to be ok finding his place with Harden and CP3?

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Thus far he hasn't ever been able to choose his team. He was traded to Minnesota and Philly. FWIW Minnesota was exponentially better with him, and Philly hasn't had any real issues.

I'm still not really buying that he wants to come here that bad. But if he were willing to take the same approach CP3 did, one can assume he really wants to be a part of what we're doing and is on the same page as Harden and Paul.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know if we can afford Butler, or if we should take a chance with him, considering cost and injury history, but if he's healthy, he's a great fit. Playing with CP3 and Harden would be a revelation for Jimi Buckets, in my opinion.

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Everytime I see this thread bumped, I get excited that there's new news on Bobby Brown.

can anyone provide an update on us signing him?

Garner and mockster like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup. And the Rockets already have set a precedent with CP3 to follow through with the process.

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

So the last pickup was Terence Jones and not Markieff Morris. Where did Markieff end up?

17. Garner

Garner Member

Sorry, I just don't buy this. Minnesota was marginally better, but found a franchise player in KAT after he left. Butler made that guy hate basketball. Philly has been weird.

And who gives a **** about guys picking their place? this is such a new nba era of player movement where, at risk of sounding like an old man, dudes would just play productively wherever their career lead them. Holding out the positive version of yourself for a situation you choose is pretty toxic from the onset.

18. Garner

Garner Member

19. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Not sure how that would trigger a hard cap

20. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Anytime you acquire a SnT, use the BLE, or use the non tax MLE, you get the hard cap for the rest of the year.

ROXonROXonROX likes this.