1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Welcome Home Terrence Jones

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Feb 21, 2019.

1. amaru

amaru Member

I get it........you are frustrated that Houston couldn't land a marquee guy at the deadline. But there is no need to minimalization or revisionist history. Rivers and Faried are not "very pleasant surprises", they are examples of the FO going out and picking up high quality buyout players.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

you do not get it. HOU had no intention of landing a marquee guy at the deadline because their sole intention was getting below the tax (and acquiring an expiring contract to come off the books this summer). as far as rivers and faried being "high quality buyout players", nobody else wanted these guys and they have thrived in our system alongside the greatest offensive player of our generation. the front office has lowered the bar of expectations to such a degree that rockets fans are more than thrilled just to get thrown a scooby snack a couple times a year now lol

3. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Amazing analysis!

On the other hand, I don't see this will really happen 'cause I don't think Morey thinks an NBA player can plug-and-play like that, bringing House back right before the last regular season game and expects him to contribute significantly during the playoffs.

4. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you to another Danuel House thread!!

I appreciate having you on this board Bima, I love that you given the groundwork of what the Rockets will likely do.

I love listening to posters complain about this franchise not being serious about winning just because we won't sign some scrub to a 10 day contract lol. As if they would play anyways, do you all not know DAntoni?

D-rock likes this.
  5. hakeemthagreat

Yea, it's not like Faried proved himself with team USA or anything. He only got good because of James Harden

RocketsTerps likes this.
  6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You can provide for more than the (prorated) vet minimum in Year 1. It just can’t be for more than 105% of the TOTAL Year 2 salary.

saleem likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

that's pretty funny. until you realize he's actually averaging career highs alongside harden and that after being left for dead the past few years

but let me elaborate on my point anyways. both rivers and faried have been great for us. but they were available on the trash heap because they're flawed players. hopefully each comes through with some great games for us in the playoffs. but overall i still expect rivers to shoot poorly and faried to be a defensive liability through the postseason

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

sigh, i guess I'm not grokking how prorated pay works wrt how raises work for 2nd yr of deal.

Let me try one more question if you don't mind: While he can be paid now (my method) or later (your plan) -- both providing more than the prorated vet min (which is what a conversion would pay) -- is there any offer that gives him a 2nd yr above the vet min? (within the confines of staying under LT this year)

If answer is no, then I doubt he takes my offer, and just might take yours because he banks about ~$120k more for this year than what he rejected for Year 1 back in January.

In that scenario, House returns on March 24th, under his 2-way contract. Fairly good amount of time to get re-acclimated.

#348 heypartner, Mar 1, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  9. brownxmas

brownxmas Member

Damn. Where is D-Mo?

10. BimaThug

Supporting Member

The answer is no.

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

so, on the last day of the season, Morey sits him down and passes him two checks, one for $750,000 with a 2nd yr attached, and one for $8,545 with RFA, and says, "Take the bigger check; otherwise I'm going to convert you, and you walk away with the 2nd." lulz.

So, he takes the multiyear, and in the playoffs, House has a few highlight-making games to boost his trade value, enough that over the next few months he becomes a consistent feature in Clutchfans juicy trade packages for difference-makers (with a minority saying RunItBack, don't Kick The Can), until Morey dashes all our hopes by trading him for a SRP to save tax.

12. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Pretty much, although the second check would be for $17,092, since the Rockets’ last game is on the day before the last day of the NBA regular season. And I’m hoping the negotiations would be a little more amicable than that . . . but I could see them playing out like that.

Deuce and heypartner like this.
  13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if he already has a committment from another team for a decent contract this summer i could see him telling DM... "ya i'll take what's behind window #2 doughboy"

heypartner likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Just to highlight this nugget from Bima, this approach is like when the Rockets signed Aaron Jackson last year. It adds more "aggregatable" and tradable salary to the roster for flexibility moving forward in the summer. They didn't end up using Jackson in a trade, but they had the option to.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Talk about bottom line.

16. amaru

amaru Member

Yes I do get it.

Houston offered 4 FR draft picks for Butler who would have definitely put them in LT territory. What marquee player is available that the Rockets, with their limited assets, haven’t tried to get?

17. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

Right?! I mean, if the excuse is that these guys only thrive here because of D'Antoni's system and playing with Harden, and not because they're hard-working, quality players, then what's the excuse for Ennis, MCW, and Chriss?

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

4 picks, 2 of which were just for eating the garbage contracts we were sending back. and the conditions put on those picks have yet to be revealed, which i why i never believed we were truly after butler. especially since tilman would be DEEP in lux tax going forward w/ 4 big contracts on the books

19. amaru

amaru Member

Even though they are planning on pursuing Butler, again lol, in the off season per Cyberx lol.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if tilman refused to pay $1 of lux tax in the year of wilt harden, it's very hard to believe he's going to be doing it LARGE after butler/harden are 30 and cp3 is 34

Invisible Fan and payaso like this.