1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I'm starting my first day of jiu jitsu today. Any CFans users practice MMA?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jacoby, Feb 25, 2019.

1. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

It's worse when it's a tween girl that does it to you.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

BJJ is a grind to learn like wrestling -- I'd love to get back into TKD, but without having to learn the forms. Just teach me the kicks/ punches and let me spar/ hit the bags.

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Sometimes ... jiujitsu... don't feel like it should!

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why not Krav Maga . .. . heard good things about it

Rocket River
    I'm too old for this ****. . . so I think i need to learn GunFu

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Krav Maga is generally considered to be a fraud.

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Really?
    I did not know

Rocket River

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

8. Fantasma Negro

Your goal for the first month shouldn't be not to get subbed, its should be not to get subbed with the same thing. Bjj is a chess match so you have to be aware of every body part because once you sell out to defend a choke you'll find yourself in a heel hook. My advice is to go to a class and roll with at least 10-15 ppl as much as you can, that's the only way you're going to get into bjj shape. I use to roll four days a week when I first started and would roll with everyone in the class of about 25 (white belt- black) and after about two months muscle memory took over and I actually began to play the game. Be careful not to try and out muscle guys, that's how injuries happen, just be easy, you're learning so don't take submissions too hard. Most importantly, if you feel pressure, pain or see stars TAP. You're going to have a lot of fun and meet some insane people, enjoy yourself

mikol13 and jacoby like this.
  9. 92i

92i Member

I do. Been training in Muay Thai for almost 4 years and did 2 years of BJJ as well. BJJ is great but it is difficult to learn at the same time, it takes way more time to master and become good at than any stricking martial art. But it is indeed great and definitely a usefal martial art.

10. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Maybe Royce White can show you a thing or two ;)

11. jacoby

jacoby Member

I'll book a fight with him in Brazil and win by forfeit.

Roc Paint likes this.
  12. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

You could actually book a flight anywhere from his house, and have a pretty good shot.

13. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sweep the leg. Works every time.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Coming in late. Good for you starting BJJ and it's going to be very hard for awhile. As I tell my students this stuff is supposed to be hard and you're going to need to get beat a lot before you start figuring it out. I would recommend starting in a group class rather than in one on one lessons. It will help you to work with peers at your own skill level as you learn the basics. Once you learn the basics then sign up for a one on one class where you can work on specifics.

Most important thing though is to keep at it. A lot of people try martial arts and get frustrated after a month or so and quit. Success is very rarely quick and generally it works in plateaus and rises. You could be stuck for months not feeling like you're making progress and all of a sudden something makes sense and you make a big improvement.

B-Bob, Fantasma Negro and mikol13 like this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The irony is that BJJ is all about sweeping, but not in the Karate kid sort of way.