1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Daryl Morey repeat the mistakes by letting players walk in free agency?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Fish36floor, Feb 25, 2019.

1. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Wow just saw the cyberx thread saying jimmy is our target next year wow. Fyi I hadnt seen that when I posted it. Was just a feeling. Man I be spot on

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Most probably yes. List of people Morey has traded away or let go rather than pay them in FA:

1. Pat Patterson
    2. Aaron Brooks
    3. Baby Melo Morris
    4. Dragic
    5. Lowry
    6. Dwight Howard
    7. Omer Asik
    8. Trevor Ariza (2 times)
    9. Portions

So most likely yes we will not be retaining Rivers and Faried in FA and we will be trying to replace them with GLeagues and vet min signings. If Morey tries to go after Jimmy B then all the more reason he wont retain these guys.

3. dmoneybangbang

The mistake may have been locking up Gary Clark Jr before House. I think the former has more potential, but the latter is more useful today.

Optimistically we'll have Hartenstein, Clark, and House locked up on cheap multi year deals and maybe two will pan out.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . . . when we win the championship . . .we should just run it back

Rocket River

5. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I forgot who bet me but thanks for reminding me

You were right, good sir.

Don’t let me forget at season end

6. threepointshot3

Faried should be kept

saleem and Hakeemtheking like this.
  7. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

If they walk, it just means Tilman has lied to this fanbase once again but some delusional people here will go lengths to defend our billionaire overlord.

8. radiohunk

radiohunk Member

TJ? Come on. Dude hasn’t even played a minute yet.

9. foggy94

foggy94 Member

At some point we might have to start trusting Morey when he says his main priority is to have a our best team by April. Give him credit, he's being completely honest with us. The salary cap is a b****, Ive gained a great appreciation for how tough it is to make moves when you only have the mini mle and minimum contracts to hand out. We want great signings on July 1st when we see everybody else making moves, we want great trades when it's the deadline in February. It's annoying watching other teams improve their squad while we're doing nothing, but this FO knows players become available throughout the season and Morey has kept his word. We're gonna have a good team come the playoffs.

What it costs us is wins during the regular season, which is shitty to watch, cause it's not like we as fans are gonna sit for 82 games over 7 months and stoically not care about the results because we know we're preparing for the playoffs. But the FO is clearly comfortable taking the long view.

D-rock, Sep11ie and mike2k132 like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Melton trade is looking a lot like the Donte Greene trade. Trading a player, that at the time seemed like a steel, to get value.

We'll see how Melton pans out, but right now he isn't playing all that great. That said, the Suns situation is a dumpster fire.

D-rock likes this.
  11. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Let's face it. You can't re-sign everyone. We did re-sign CP3, Capela, Green. Ariza price tag was too high. Luc wasn't healthy and still isn't. Will be tough this year to try to re-sign Faried, Rivers, Shumpert. All 3 are too young to accept minimum salary.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Regarding Rivers and Faried. You never know exactly about a player's motivations. It isn't always financial. Most of the times it is, but it isn't always.

Role, fit and happiness mean something too.

We do know that Rivers and Faried love their roles and are extremely happy. Don't rule out 1 or even both returning at a cheaper rate.

Faried is interesting because what he DOES on this team doesn't necessarily translate to other teams. Looking at the market, not sure what teams throw big money at him. Also keep in mind Faried is coming off a huge contract and has money already in the bank. In Faried's mind, the Rockets saved him. He is pretty happy.

Rivers is more replaceable in the Rockets system. But he is still very useful. He comes from money and has been up front about that. Maybe his happiness on this team means more to him.

saleem, D-rock and biff17 like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

your age doesn't prioritize your salary. actual game play does

biff17 likes this.
  14. biff17

biff17 Member

My thoughts exactly, I can really see Faried staying because he fits so well and I don't see him having this role with a lot of teams.

saleem likes this.
  15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

How in the hell would we have challenged for 70 wins? We are 59 games into the season and Mbah A Moute has played 4 games and averaged 5 points and 1.8 rebounds per game in those 4 games.

Harden would have still missed some games due to injury. Capela would still miss games due to injury. Gordon would still miss games due to injury. CP3 both injury and suspension. And so on and so forth.

You think Trevor Ariza alone is good for an extra 20+ wins or what?

p.s. please learn at least the basics about the CBA before making a post like this. The Rockets may not be able to keep either Faried or Rivers because they do not have their bird rights. It may be completely outside of their control.

saleem, D-rock and topfive like this.
  16. Sep11ie

Sep11ie Member

Easy there champ.
    1. Pat Patterson (REALLY?)
    2. Aaron Brooks (has been aquired like 6 times)
    3. Baby Melo Morris (Attitude issues/off court problems)
    4. Dragic (WOULD NOT EXTEND SO WAS TRADED)
    5. Lowry (Requested trade)
    6. Dwight Howard ( Bruh, you are reaching so bad)
    7. Omer Asik ( Paid him then flipped him, he never got passed being a role player)
    8. Trevor Ariza (2 times) ( he took the highest offer in FA, look how that turned out for him)
    9. Portions (ok)

topfive likes this.
  17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Someone invented this thing and it has its use.

[​IMG]

18. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I disagree that Ryno was a mistake. We couldn't get anyone of note to sign with us after Howard's last disasterous season here. Without the Ryno/Gordon signings, we don't look like a promising team that CP3 would want to join.

D-rock likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

My point is the Rox have a history of letting FAs walk rather than pay them their market rate, "how that turned out for them" is irrelevant as even Morey doesn't know or care what will happen to these players after he let them walk or traded them away.

Patterson or Morris for example never got paid more than 5M a year their entire career, that's not exactly "overpaying" for a free agent. Most teams would have kept them around at that price but not the Rockets.

Judging by their MO Morey will probably just offer mid level to Faried and then vet mins to Rivers and Green. If those guys accept the lowball offers then fine Morey will retain then if not he will try to replace them with vet mins.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

I count 3 starters in the above 9 players (possibly 4 if Dwert were healthy).

I'll give you a WAY more impressive list of players another GM has traded away or let go rather than pay them in FA:

1. James Harden
    2. Victor Oladipo
    3. Reggie Jackson
    4. Jeremy Lamb
    5. Serge Ibaka
    6. Dion Waiters
    7. Domantas Sabonis
    8. Taj Gibson
    9. Jeff Green
    10. D.J. Augustin

11. Carmelo Anthony
    12. Shaun Livington
    13. Derek Fisher
    14. Kevin Martin
    15. Enes Kanter
    16. Ersan Ilyasova
    17. Thabo Sefolosha

That's 10 guys who are starting NOW, plus another 7 who either are key players for someone now or were starters or key players not too far from their time with the Thunder.

What's my point? My point is that good GMs constantly trade guys and refuse to overpay in FA, while searching for that magic lineup. I'm fine with Morey's choices for the most part and feel he's done a much better job than most GMs.

Like you said, Morey will likely let some of these guys walk during the summer. That's how it works.

D-rock, Sep11ie and YOLO like this.