1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MDA: Faried may start full-time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Feb 24, 2019.

1. I Sell Fish

I Sell Fish Member

I'd fire fatboy if he ever tells that Appalachian hick to start a minimum player. That'll cost me too much this offseason.

2. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

yes this is huge...and it also will make cousins play defense if they put him in there. because they're not going to just let cousins be a mismatch on the offensive end, without being one on the defensive end. Basically if you put cousins in, we are going to isolate him in the half court set, and also beat him down the court in transition, while tiring his legs out when he comes back on the offensive end.

3. smp

smp Member

I don’t give a crap if he can shoot the 3 or not. You need size, athleticism, and rebounding energy at the 4.

There’s more to basketball than shooting 3 pointers!!!!! I’m so freaking sick of that argument.

Y2JT, chadyang, ramotadab and 2 others like this.
  4. smp

smp Member

Exactly!!!!

ramotadab and vlaurelio like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

you should care. bc it can impact the rest of the team. and with the way the rockets play it can potentially hurt the game for guys like harden/cp3. Allowing extra defenders to shade them is never a good thing. Great for faried if he can keep defenses honest to a degree but time will tell. At the moment it seems to be contributing on the positive side in spot minutes which is great. I have confidence they'll figure it out. But one things for sure getting faried minutes is a good thing, bc he finds a way to contribute one way or the other. While its been a huge surprise to me and a lot of others, I'm glad he hasn't been just limited to a backup 5 role and they are moving him around

Swiss Roll, ramotadab, Denovo and 3 others like this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Still our best 3pt shooter after the Warriors game. :D

I.D.I.O.T.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

only to have Gerald Green and Eric Gordon pull up from 40 with 21 seconds in the shot clock.
    Lord those are infuriating

ramotadab likes this.
  8. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

man this faried kid is really turning some heads, if he can keep up the good play, we got ourselves a solid 4 man now, we just need another wing defender who can shoot 3s

ramotadab and BaselineFade like this.
  9. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Green may be out of the rotation once Shump gets healthy. If PJ stays at the 3, minutes for Green will be limited once the team is at full strength.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Dan and Tony approve.

dje243 and BamBam like this.
  11. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

This is a big reason why the Rockets defense has suffered this year - too many second chance points. One of the things Ariza and Mbah a Moute brought was length and better rebounding. With Gordon starting at the 3 we are way too small for most teams out there. Adding Faried as a PF and moving Tucker to the 3 spot brings much more size to the starting lineup which will help greatly with rebounding. If House comes back then that should help quite a bit too.

In the 11 games House and Capela started the Rockets (including the Magic game where Capela got hurt) were 8-3. They were out rebounded in 5 of those games and went 2-3 in those 5 games.

When the rockets out rebounded their opponents they generally win, and lately they haven't been out rebounding their opponents because of the lack of size. Defense ends with rebounding and the number of second and third chance points the Rockets have been giving up has been really absurd of late.

I really hope that the team can get healthy (Harden/Shump) soon so we can see a larger starting lineup with Tucker back at the 3.

12. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Figure MDA shortens rotation in the playoffs. Last year against GSW we played 7 after CP went down.
    I can see all of those playing, except Nene. That gives us a pool of 9, (10). Figure Green's mins would be less. Not sure of Shumpert's mins yet. Still, nice to have some bodies to eat minutes that MDA trust.

13. foggy94

foggy94 Member

I think MDA wanted to expand the rotation against the Warriors, we were desperately in need of minutes from anyone with our 6.5 man rotation. Mike's notorious for short rotations but even he had to try Ryno and Joe Johnson in game 7, they just got burned. I mean, everyone knew those guys were shot, if it were House or Shumpert there would have been much less hesitation. We can definitely be deeper and roll with at least an 8 man rotation this time around, all being healthy ofc.

Hakeemtheking and BaselineFade like this.
  14. mockster

mockster Member

Hate to put EG out cuz we really need his scoring but that lineup it’s the best energy/defensively

And faried is just on another level right now, defense/energy, hitting three pointers, throwing lobs to Clint

This guy is the manimal. Also I like how active him and Clint are going for those rebounds It’s almost like a competition between them

hakeem94 and Hakeemtheking like this.
  15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

16. SemisolidSnake

What a great story. He only signed with the team a little over a month ago. Came from a team that wasn't even playing him. Comes here to fill a temporary gap, takes advantage of this new chance in his career, plays his heart out, and ends up earning a starting role alongside the guy he was originally just filling in for.

And it's just great to see how happy he is to be playing. His energy often buoys the rest of the team, and he's already become a fan favorite. Imagine if you'd told him just six weeks ago that all this would happen. No way he'd have believed you. Really happy for him.

Y2JT, Streakshooter, chadyang and 6 others like this.
  17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nene will surely play against GSW now that they have Cousins.

18. mockster

mockster Member

I have to also applaud Tucker’s versatility to even make this lineup work. He’s a guy that can guard/play 3-5

And quiete honestly I like him guarding the SF position, usually against teams best players.

hakeem94 and Y2JT like this.
  19. threepointshot3

Faried Houston saviour

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The combo showed some cracks in the second half with spacing issues.

I think in the long run Caplea/Faried will be more of a situational thing. But we're 2-0 now, so no reason to stop running it out there.