1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chron: Rockets shaking at the core, JVG wants stars....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Uprising, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Chron: Rockets shaking at the core, JVG wants team stars....

Rockets shaking at core
    Van Gundy wants team stars to lead

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

From the start, Jeff Van Gundy was clear and consistent. A team is led, he said, not by a new, high-dollar coach, but by its best players. They set the tone, often the personality, and in the end, usually, a team's ultimate success.

This was long before the Rockets headed to Phoenix without Steve Francis, before their losing streak reached a painful four games in a blowout loss to the last-place and injury-weakened Suns, before alarms had begun to sound.

But Van Gundy had said again last week what he believes works in the NBA.

"Getting the right best players or the right core, is the No. 1 trick," Van Gundy said. "It's not just talent. It's how they lead the group and the franchise."

Four days later, Francis was in Houston when the Rockets were in Phoenix and little about his team's true potential was clear.

More than halfway through Van Gundy's first season with a core the Rockets have generally kept together for four seasons -- with the notable addition of Yao Ming and subtraction of Eddie Griffin -- Van Gundy said he would not draw conclusions about the Rockets' increasingly shaky foundation.

But neither was he ready to declare that the Rockets have just what they need.

"The only way you can judge if you have it is if you get the results," Van Gundy said. "It's so easy to know. If you're getting the right results, you've got the right core. You'll be able to judge by what we do from here.

"There's 10, 11, 12 other teams in the West saying the same thing. At the end of the day, four or five teams are going to say `we didn't measure up.' "

But when the Rockets lost Saturday to the Nets, Van Gundy said his team lost its heart. A day later, it misplaced its point guard, top scorer and highest-paid player.

Van Gundy said Monday that he became the Rockets' coach in part to coach Francis.

Sunday's incident -- Van Gundy said Francis told him he skipped the team's flight to attend the Super Bowl, and Francis' agent said Francis attended to personal, family matters -- has not changed his mind.

Francis vehemently disagreed with Van Gundy's decision to suspend him. But Van Gundy said that for him, the issue ended with Monday's game.

"I came here because of the players we had and particularly because of Steve," Van Gundy said. "This is just an unfortunate thing. It is just a small bump in the road. Hopefully, we'll make some progress and start to play better.

"I've disagreed with my best players about many things strongly, and they've disagreed with me. It shouldn't be a problem.

"My feelings on the matter really don't matter. I'm just trying to make the best of things to give us the best chance to win long term."

Evaluating a team at the lowest or highest point is likely to produce inaccurate conclusions. The Rockets face the Bucks tonight at the lowest point of the season. If the Rockets were not troubled enough by their losing streak, they tormented themselves with the knowledge that they have gone down so easily, so relatively effortlessly.

A week earlier, they had become the league's top defensive scoring and top defensive shooting-percentage team. On pace to set league records, they openly called themselves the league's best defensive team with the numbers to back the boast.

They have not played hard enough since to maintain that standard. They were whipped off the dribble by the usually unspectacular Miami and Phoenix offenses and outworked by Sacramento and New Jersey.

Before the losing streak, Rockets opponents were making 38.8 percent of their shots and averaging 83.3 points per game.

In the past four games, Rockets opponents have made 47.5 percent of their shots and averaged 95.3 points.

"We're not playing defensively the way we were playing a week ago," Rockets forward Maurice Taylor said. "For whatever reason we lost it, we need to get it back."

In hindsight, the losing streak is probably not much of a shock. The Rockets had found ways to win despite their deficiencies, rather than to correct them. When the slide began in Miami, Jim Jackson even warned that it was possible. He said Monday that he did not see it coming but has no doubt about what has gone wrong.

"The effort is not the same, playing smart, the little things, defensively," Jackson said. "That's how it goes in this league. You let up on a couple things, your stronger points, you're going to get beat. Losing is just as contagious as winning. If you don't correct what is wrong when you're losing, you'll keep losing."

In the short term, the Rockets believe the correction is as simple as the suggestion of every elementary school gym teacher, try hard. Long term, they will have to determine if their current nucleus and particularly its leadership will do.

For now, they know they are not what they expected to be by now. They might not be as bad as at their worst or good as their best, but they have proved little even to themselves about what they are.

"Consistency at either end or approach, I would have hoped we would be further along with," Van Gundy said. "That's `This is our game, we're going to play every night this way.' "

That begins, he said, with a team's best players. But when Van Gundy was asked last week if these are the right best players, he could only say that he doesn't know.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/2386581

On a side note, TJ Ford will make his return to Houston to face the Rockets. http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.hts/sports/bk/bkn/2386554

#1 Uprising, Feb 4, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2004
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Thanks, Uprising. This is a hell of a stat...

Before the losing streak, Rockets opponents were making 38.8 percent of their shots and averaging 83.3 points per game.
    In the past four games, Rockets opponents have made 47.5 percent of their shots and averaged 95.3 points.

Man, the wheels have really come off the defense. You have to wonder, after all the hoopla and controversy, how hard it's going to be to get that defensive intensity back. It's not going to be like throwing a switch and deciding to do it.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

wow lol

startling.....alarming whatever ya want to call those figures :eek:

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Good point. Our offense has not really been "rolling" this season, but our defense is what kept us in games and eventually gave us the victory. Now that the defense has fallen apart, and the offense is still no where to be found the Rockets have no chance of winning. They need to bring back their intensity to their D.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Any word from Steve?

6. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Time for Franchise to step up.

7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

are they sure he said coach and not destroy?

8. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Exactly the way I feel.

JVG is the Anti-Steve.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So Francis has still not apologized for his behavior?

10. qrui

qrui Member

i like what jvg has done with this team in general but there is some minor detail i don't feel comfortable with, like did he have to accuse his players "losing heart" publicly instead of talking to them in the lockroom?

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think this is a really good article in the Chronicle today. I think it emphasizes what is most important and that is the team's star players. The bottom line is that Yao and Francis need to be more consistant.

Yao, 17pts, 9rbs, 2ast, 2blk
    Francis 16pts, 6ast, 6 rbs

Those are either their current averages (or close to them). The problem is that we do NOT get those "averages" every night, and certainly not from BOTH of them on the same night. Imagine if BOTH of them could CONSISTANTLY put up those numbers every night. It would make it much more easy on the team.

Using the stats from above....

That pretty much tells it all. When Yao either hits his AVERAGE or slightly above we win. When Yao is NOT CONSISTANT, puts up lame numbrs, we lose.

If we can get Yao and Francis to CONSISTANTLY put up solid numbers each night and then have a few of our role players like Mobley, Taylor, J Jackson help out then we can win a lot of ball games.

Looking at the current "duos" on the Western Conference All Stars this season.....

•Cassell, Garnett
    •Peja, Miller
    •Kobe, Shaq

Now, imagine how those teams would do if BOTH of their "stars" are as inconsistant as ours are? They wouldn't be winning many games.

Perhaps that's the point, that we have 2 players in Francis and Yao that are media appointed stars but haven't reached that level of "stardom" in playing ability. If they had, they would currently be more "consistant".

But that is what they have to strive for. The sooner they become those players, the sooner this team will win and get to the next level.

12. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

If JVG is ready to move on, why can't you?

I agree with you. I was all for JVG becoming our coach and I still support him, but his over-use of the "no heart" thing is really disconcerting. Calling someone "no heart" or "losing hear" is like calling someone "spineless".

Hopefully, this episode will turn out to be like Dream's episode and Fracis will respond with fire in his plays.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree with that.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Unlike Dream, I doubt Francis has another level.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Hmm, interesting logic here, JVG. It's kinda like saying, "The only way to win a championship is to get a team that wins a championship."

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes.

And is this statement incorrect?

17. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

A very poor choice of corrective discipline for a situation that should have never been "created" and happened. And the feigned statements of respect and fake praise by JVG are very incredible and insincere. His failed experiment with the discipline and the MJ experiment show, and I bet he got his pompous ass reamed by upper management and friends around the league....

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Kind of like saying "Personal reasons" were why he missed the flight?

Nothing wrong at all with what JVG is doing, he is calling him out in a public forum......look at Phil Jackson, he has done this for years.

Plenty of good coaches know that players care more about their reputations, and JVG is doing a masterful job.

Steve needs to bone up to his responsibilities as a player, and earn his contract.

I have no problem whatsoever with what JVG is doing.

He is holding his player accountable....just like any GOOD father does to his children....and Steve is behaving like a spoiled brat.

DD

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

DaDakota is 100 % right.

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

The father created a situation that hurt himself and the family.... great father....