1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tipping

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Jan 28, 2019.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have no complaints about the tipping system. I like feeling sorry for bar workers.

I do find the example of someone who works at Tony's putting 4 kids through school.

Tonys is one of the most expensive restaurants in the city and I knew a general manager there who would get half pounds of weed and bags of pills as tips. Point is that maybe 5% of bar workers can get the tips people at Tonys can.

Serving the 1% has it's benefits but for everyone else they should go **** themselves eh?

#21 REEKO_HTOWN, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  2. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I lived in Europe as well but I believe it's simply a different style of service. To Americans it may be terrible, as we expect our meals to be ordered and delivered in a short period, and receive the check promptly as we finish. This kind of service is driven by the waiters' needs to receive as many tables as possible to increase their tipping base. Europeans are OK with an extended dining experience, Spaniards and French dont mind a 3 hour dinner. Their service isn't bad, it's just catered to their dining preferences.

Deckard likes this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I tip everyone starting at 15%. If the service is great it goes up. If not it goes down. Keep my drink full and if the kitchen is backed up just let me know and I’m cool with it.

If the experience is horrible, the tip is ‘try harder’ written in the tip spot on the check. (I got this from my longtime bartender sister. )

I also tip random people in typical non-tip professions for being exemplary.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're always going to run into some people out there that are just unfortunately cheap and don't tip well or just don't fully understand the concept of the system. that in turn ruins it a bit for the rest of the people that do.

5. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

True. Know how tipping got started, and got its name? TIP is an acronym. To Insure Performance. It used to be given up front, not at the end. If you take the tip away, what insures performance? Do you see any of the people who get tips clamoring to move away from that system?

Serious question? This is the whole gist of the issue with guaranteed wages. There is no incentive to work hard anymore. Why work hard when you can not work hard and get the exact same pay?

6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

**** Europe.

K mf G likes this.
  7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

I imagine it would work like every other service job or really job period.
    The incentive to work hard is to keep your job. If the pay is good enough, you will have competition for the job.

There's a reason why Costco service is better than Sam's. And it's not because of tips.

Also tips isn't making the service better at a diner than it is at nice steakhouse. Makes you wonder.

Deckard and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  8. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

Explain Chic-fil-a employees? They are the nicest and most courteous employees in any fast food joint and they don't depend on tips.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

I'm all about tipping well for traditional waiter service, and I think the wage set up for that should stay the way it is.

What I do not support is the recent over-expectation for tips for roles that don't need tips or do anything other than work a register. Like why does Cafe Express have a tip line on their receipt? I order at the counter and pick up my own food when it's ready. Go to hell.

Harrisment and 92i like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you have the choice of just not tipping in that instance if that's how you feel. but there's people out there that'll leave something for them there. nothing wrong with that at all. everyone doesn't look at it in your go to tell attitude

#30 YOLO, Jan 29, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  11. SuraGotMadHops

I feel like just asking for the tip in that situation is rude and off-putting, which is what you are doing when you add the tip line in the first place.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

what's rude about it? its merely an option. nobody is forcing you to do anything in that scenario. I mean if it was so rude and off-putting then you would have backlash and 0 people leaving anything all the time. you can't satisfy everyone in this world. not everything needs to be looked at in a negative way

13. SuraGotMadHops

I know I don't have to leave anything, that's why I don't. It bothers me that the tip line is there in the first place for people that just work a register. That's my prerogative, this is a thread about tipping and I gave my opinion, doesn't mean I view the whole world in a negative way.

There's a fine line between option and expectation. They add a tip line, then what's next? Do we start tipping Burger King cashiers for doing their job. First they'll ask for a tip, then the cashier's at Kroger will start adding tip lines, it will be anarchy!

[​IMG]

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

i mean who's to say what that cashier did. he/she may have helped a customer with their not so ordinary order in some form or fashion. or the cashier provided some information that the customer appreciated that helped with the order and in turn the customer decided to show that appreciation. there's a ton of instances where a customer may decide to give a little extra thank you. the fact that it bothers you so much is puzzling, especially something that is clearly an option.

Do you see a tip line at BK receipts? no. so there's really no need for even a discussion there cause that option doesn't even exist

15. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Religous cult

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I start at 20% and never drop below 15%. Maybe I've just never in my 49 years experienced service so bad I would stiff someone on a tip and I would never in a million years dream of being rude and writing "try harder" where the tip goes.

CourtOfDreams likes this.
  17. 92i

92i Member

I don’t know about in the US but here in Canada tipping is getting out of hand. I mean I don’t mind tipping at all when I am eating out at a restaurant or a cab driver, well anything worth tipping I tip 18-20% but nowadays they put tipping option at Subways, takeout sushi shops and well almost any fast foid restaurant (beside the mainstream ones).

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Only time i ever stiffed a waiter less than 20% was when I left a penny. I was celebrating my birthday with my 20 year old GF (I'm a few years older) and had let her try a sip of my mixed drink to see how it tasted. The waitress came over from her other table where she was laughing it up and scolded me about not serving a minor.

I gleefully left her a smiley face on the receipt and the dirtiest penny i could muster.

NateNate likes this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

@YOLO See? This is where we're headed.

92i likes this.
  20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you have higher wages. . . .why does that stop people from tipping?

Rocket River