1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It is time to unlock the midrange.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Ryan_Success, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Feedoffdoubt

Feedoffdoubt Member

Actually I think we could run a trial with some of these other guys taking midrange shots. The scrubs should continue working on a reliable 3 but the players that already have a reliable 3, namely Gordon, could take some just to experiment. Anyways, I think we have to focus on getting CP3 integrated with the new guys spotting up from 3 first.

Ryan_Success likes this.
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Dude, Moreyball is not an end all be all take 3s or short 2s only. Early in the shot clock during regular play.. sure. But late in the shot clock, Morey knows it's better to take an uncontested longer 2 than a contested 3. Morey knows that when it's late in the game and you only need one point to secure the win, a 3 pointer is not the best shot. Everything is situational.

So if you go cold from 3, yes.. take long 2s to find your rhythm then move back out to three. There's nothing wrong with using every tool at your disposal. If a team that's defending is forcing 20 percent from three and 45 percent from long twos, then take the two. It's better math.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Just like last year, we will have to prove we are capable of hitting free throw area jumpers if we want to advance far. The Jazz forced us off the line and had an excellent shot blocker in the paint so we got by them using midrange in a couple games.

hakeem94 and Ryan_Success like this.
  4. Feedoffdoubt

Feedoffdoubt Member

Yep and another thing that's been going on alot recently is James Harden going for floaters and runners. He still has to get more comfortable with it and maybe we can have Gordon try to do so as well. I would be fine with those 3 guys (also including CP) opening up a midrange option for us but still with focus on getting guys open 3's

Ryan_Success and hakeem94 like this.
  5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I distinctly remember a game last year when ego hit seveal floaters out of blue...it was awesome...never thought he is capable of that....never again i saw him uses it except very rarely

Feedoffdoubt and Ryan_Success like this.
  6. SemisolidSnake

It's time to...

...do what it takes to win each individual game.

So, yes, I agree. If you're hitting threes, sure keep going. If you're not, maybe try something different. Potentially a shorter, easier shot. It's not beneath the team's two best players who both did it last night. To quote myself from last night's game thread, "Funny how made two-pointers are worth more than missed three-pointers, isn't it?"

The worst thing to do is to not adjust if something's not working. Whether it's more drives or shorter shots or a combination of both or whatever; you do what it takes to win each game with who you have out there and how they're playing that night.

---

As a related side note, the Rockets DID try to adjust in Infamous Game 7 last year. The threes weren't falling, and they switched to more drives. The refs swallowed their whistles, cutting that off nearly immediately. So, between that and bad calls behind the arc, you get 0-27 and a miserable loss. IMO, though, the refs blocking that offensive adjustment was the more egregious fixing that I saw.

7. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

My point exactly. Hard to argue with the side note. Good takes.

Feedoffdoubt likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

9. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

That’s unguadable and more efficient then the 3 ball IMO. Analytics coach to efficiency. I would love to see what it says is the efficiency of this shot related to the player taking it.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Only ones exempt from shooting mid range is Harden and Paul, for damn good reason.

MDA is on record supporting the mid range under special circumstances, holding big lead, late in close games, only by specific proficient players, etc.

Ryan_Success and HP3 like this.
  11. HP3

HP3 Member

He does not and never has. I love Harden but CP is one of the best mid range shooters out there.

Mr Chuck Norris likes this.
  12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Cleverly disguised "let's trade for Tony Parker" thread.

- CP3's injury history
    - Parker has championship experience
    - Parker is a vet
    - Parker is master of midrange

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

The midrange is right where it needs to be:
    [​IMG]

harold bingo likes this.
  14. BigBum

BigBum Member

The point is
    If you have a good midrange guy, the team can shoot better from the three.

15. topfive

topfive CF OG

Got any stats to back up that bold theory, Holic?

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

No team is more analytically driven then us and everyone knows it and yet there are still countless posts about us doing things differently. As if our most analytically driven organization hasn’t already run the numbers on it and made their decision.

Ryan_Success and topfive like this.
  17. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

Analytics, although proven effective in the grand scheme, has also cost us games. Granted, it has won us far more I don’t see the gripe with having more options with the best playmaker in the game leading the way. This thread is just to reiterate the need for adjustments when we aren’t performing at our analytical peak. By no way am I suggesting we play completely different, but we do need a fail safe in place in the event we are shooting poorly from distance.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Harden should continue to play his game. Just that when the team is on a "cold streak" or needs to "stop the bleeding" in the 2nd half, feel free to go to one of these if the shot can be done wide open. That is all. ;)

Ryan_Success likes this.
  19. Ryan_Success

Ryan_Success Member

We have any new takers on this thread?

20. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

just hit the easy layups we miss and we will be right

hakeem94 likes this.