1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Your post - although you think it did - didn't prove anything wrong in my post.

When's LeBron back exactly?

Is he going to play every single game until the end of the season when he's back?

Are you going to pretend Houston aren't going to get better when reinforcements come?

Are you going to pretend Utah aren't on their march upwards?

Are you going to pretend NO won't eventually start climbing?

Sorry, just failing to understand what your point was.

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

spot on
    btw
    you were right just too much damn competition for the worst post of the week

3. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

There has to be a resolution coming soon to this.

4. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Warriors cook has the same situation, but he can shoot more points than house. Cook accepted the low salary offer. House needs to think about his prospects. There are many house type player in G league. He should not overestimate himself

5. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

6. csc177

csc177 Member

I hope House averages 30 w/ RGV and forces Morey to reconsider. I’m telling you this guy fit too well in our lineup.

joshuaao likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

House may be betting on himself, but there's a chance House's agent believes that this, right now, is the most marketable his client will ever be. Get as much as possible now, because the last 25 games playing with Harden have put a shine on his play that we may never see again.

RudyTBag and groovemachine like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s what I think too. If he wanted to bet on himself he would have kept his spot as a starter.

topfive likes this.
  9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The mention below about the LIKES from House is accurate. I saw it myself. They were on the House of Highlights instagram posts. You could speculate for sure.

D-rock and wesbound like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

man, nothing on social media gets past the Deuce!

fwiw: Clark, Ennis, Chriss and Moochie Norris all Liked that Instagram post by House about the BIGGER picture. (I embarrassingly went through all 5,000 of the Likes -- so, sad.)

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Real talk, they are much better defensively without Lefraud.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Instagram is an interesting place for NBA players. You can catch a lot of "back and forth" on there. And in the comments and the likes.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

With House we win the NJ game, plain and simple he was KEY to our defense as I have been saying - he was turning into another Ariza....and just picking up another OFFENSIVE guy who can hit a 3, screws the chemistry.

We need a 3 and D player like House.

DD

jcmoon likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

This bum is dead to me. Sign him to a 1-day contract so real H-Town legend Gerald Green can beat his ass right back out the league.

Blurr#7 likes this.
  15. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

What a scrub... without Harden nobody would know who he is.

D-rock likes this.
  16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

yeah, it sucks.

Since we are at 15 players, I guess Morey is using House's TW contract to give Nunnally a look -- since Nunnally was about to bolt to Europe. I suppose Harden is fine with something like that (with a promise House with return, at some point). What sucks is we aren't actually using two of the spots -- Melo and Chriss, and they won't be on the playoff roster.

So, I suppose I'll be fine with the temporary shuffling of the 15th spot, IF Morey is able to actually do a useful trade using Melo or Chriss as salary filler. Otherwise, if they get dumped in a manner that could have been done now (combined with converting House now), all the games of House not playing are a sad waste of time.

(is that what you'd call a #sleeves scenario, @Deuce)

17. JonesDaddy

JonesDaddy Contributing Member

This whole thing feels like a staring contest. Who is going to blink first?
    I think House will eventually cave and the Rockets will be better for it.

The Rockets are facing extra pressure because they are shorthanded, but I appreciate a longer view here.
    Converting House now gets him back on the court for the year, but then makes him harder to keep after that.
    Unfortunately, this thing could easily drag out to March 1rst. (when full list of buyout candidates is known).
    Right now, the playseems to be to give Nunnally at least a 10 day look. (I expect a 2nd 10 day for him after that).
    If Nunnally can play reasonable well, then the pressure is reduced on the team, but increased on House (who could be seeing his best NBA opportunity being taken by another hungry player).
    The 2 10 day contracts for Nunnally would get the team within a few days of the trade deadline and I'm sure Morey will have a better idea what potential moves are out there. (as a non-converted 2 way player, House is eligible to be traded if needed).
    The 2 10 day contracts will also give House a chance to be reminded of the differences in playing/traveling for NBA games vs G-League.
    There is also the issue of a roster spot.
    Obviously Melo is occupying a spot that will eventually open. (probably Chriss too)
    I imagine the Rockets could get rid of Melo today, but are holding on to him as tradeable salary and (in case it is needed for matching purposes).
    So getting closer to the deadline should help provide clarity on the availability of a roster spot.

So the ways I think this may play out are:
    1. House changes course and signs 3 year guaranteed min.
    2. March 1rst comes and with no real buyout targets, part of the MLE is used to give him a 3 year deal, just above the minimum.
    3. Nunnally or someone received in trade takes House's role on the team and then we get a long unfulfilling RFA for House this summer.

I get betting on himself, but after not sticking in the league thus far, I wouldn't pass on a guaranteed contract that makes me a millionaire.
    A glance into the backup center thread shows that Willie Reed is out for the year with an injury from the G League. If House gets a major injury, then he may never get another NBA shot. That's some major risk. I'd take the guaranteed 3 years and use my high-profile team opportunity to set myself up for my next deal.

So many people here think the Rockets are stupid for not giving in to House, but I feel like there are more risks in that.
    Either we dip into MLE now to pay him, and lose the Buy-Out candidate market Morey has been targeting, or we convert him now and then have to choose between him and Rivers this summer. Ideas about giving him a player option are dumb. If you are thinking of adding a player option, you might as well just omit that year from the contract. Player options only benefit the player. Either they play well and turn down the option to get more money, or they suck and opt in, sticking the team with the player. There is 0 benefit to the team in that scenario.

Lastly, are we really sure House is worth all this trouble?
    Historically, hasn't part of the knock on him been the huge swings in shooting?
    Clark had a great stretch of games (enough to potentially end Melo's career), got signed to a 3 year deal, and then has shot miserably.
    If House's shot goes AWOL, is he still and NBA caliber player?
    If he doesn't dominate in the G-League, does he even get any interest as a RFA?

To me, other than being exceptionally short handed at the moment, all of the pressure in this scenario is on House.
    If someone else shows themselves capable of filling his role (3 & D), then he may have missed his best opportunity.
    He has the opportunity to fill one of the top 450 positions in his field, but decided he would pass on that opportunity because he feels he should make more money.

Barring a superstar trade, the ideal situation I'm hoping for is Nunnally working out and signing a multi-year min deal, House reconsidering his offered deal, and a big man shaking loose on the buyout/trade market.

D-rock, clutchdabear and Kim like this.
  18. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

Harden and House's situations are not even close. Harden had been in the league for a couple of years and was the reigning 6th man of the Year. House has bounced around and played around 2 dozen NBA games this season?

The Rockets are a team and a business. You dont want to overpay guys like Ariza because it kills your ability to be able to sign other guys as well because of the salary cap rules. The overpay for Ryno was not looked upon as an overpay at the time of huge contracts and people forget how integral Ryno was on that 55 win team that helped the Rockets attract guys like Tucker and CP3. Unfortunately Ryno lost a ton of confidence and did not like losing his starting spot otherwise he could have been still a big part of the Rockets last season and this season. You had to move a guy who pretty much is dead weight to a team.

According to Berman the Rockets did offer House a 3 year guaranteed deal and while it was at the min, it was still more money than whatever House has been offered before. You have guys who have proven more in the league such as MCW, Green taking minimum deals and playing. House has played really well but was this stretch a flash in the pan or was it actually him being consistent and this is what the team could expect from him night in and night out. The guy was able to get his starting spot because of injuries. People forget how well the team was playing with Gordon starting prior to his and CP3's injury.

Once those two guys come back and if Gordon is starting where would that leave house?

Harden/CP3/Gordon/Rivers/Green and then House and Clark. House's minutes will be reduced dramatically once everyone is healthy. Do you want another guy making more than the min just sitting on the bench? If he is able to play more PF then he would see minutes behind Tucker of course. I would rather have him too because you can never have too many productive bodies of course.

The one thing we dont know is what figure House and his agent had in mind. They want him to be a RFA that much is clear but what do they believe he can get on the market this summer based on the 25 game she had played this season? I mean look at Patrick McCaw who I would argue is more proven in the NBA and he ended up having to settle for the Vet Min from Toronto and is trying this summer for his deal. If the number House wants is not much more than the min then I would say Morey should pay him but if House is looking to get around 4-5M a year then I think what the Rockets are doing is correct. You can't just pay that sort of money (even if its not too much) for a guy who hasn't shown to be consistent over a full course of a season. There is a reason why he didn't stay on Phoenix's roster, cut by GS and was in the D-league. The Rockets are limited in what they can do given the cap and the contracts of the guys on the team (which again really has nothing to do with CP3 getting the max - They would still be in high tax territory and have the same lack of flexibility if he took less than the max but still like 20M a year)

Also as much as House has been a revelation and critical to what little success the Rockets have had this season his skillset is somehting the Rockets have in other players, we already see that getting someone to replace Capela and the vertical game is far more important and use the MLE on. Losing Capela makes the Rockets' offense so one dimensional after losing the mid-range with CP3.

If the MLE is spent on a backup big that is money better spent IMO than giving it to House right now. Gary Clark was giving us the same things House was before he hit a terrible slump which caused the Rockets to call up House in the first place. If Clark goes back to being the same guy he was originally House's production becomes even less valuable to this team.

BTW - I have no issue at all with House wanting a bigger contract. He worked hard to get to where he is right now and has a small window here to make as much money as he can and he should.

To me this is a situation where both sides want to do whats best for themselves and there is nothing wrong with the stance either side has taken. Unfortunately though it does hurt the team in the short term on the court.

19. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

He did. He wants a contract for the rest of the season. Morey wants 2 more years.

kjayp likes this.
  20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately for him, Morey is the boss. So down to the GLeague to hope and pray for another shot that may never come.

D-rock likes this.