1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Danuel House declines Rockets contract offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, Jan 15, 2019.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think it's because a FULL MLE offer is better than a partial MLE offer. Just like how Morey is concerned about a team going crazy and offering more money to House, another team could do the same to Rivers and offer him the full MLE based on his performance with Houston.

2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I get both sides. House believes he’s proven himself enough to deserve a bigger contract and maybe he has. Small sample size but good on him.

Also totally understand why the Rockets want him at the dollar and years they’ve offered. They dig into the MLE and it could hurt them in making a move later on. You know the Rockets value House, but there is much work to be done on this team moving forward.

We as fans are freaking because we are in win now mode. This is the worst possible time to lose contributors.

Who blinks first?

MrSabotage, joshuaao, FLASH21 and 3 others like this.
  3. steddinotayto

I think it depends on the next couple of games. If we get annihilated then Morey will bring House back asap. I guess the hope is maybe we get Gordon back sometime in the next week or so to add another usable player thereby putting more pressure on House and his agents.

I just hope House doesn't know his "rights".

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Hes not worth more than the minimum.

Every one wanting to throw the mle at him is ludicrous.

Hes not a "quality" starter.

Hes been thrust into the lineup out of necessity.

His 39% from 3 isnt reliable, when it's only been 100 attempts.

If he has a cold spell and goes 4 for 20 from deep over his next 3-4 games, all of a sudden this "knock down 39% 3pt shooter" is an average 35% shooter.

39 out of 100 playing next to James Harden in this system for 25 games isnt an "MLE player".

This MDA system doesnt "inflate" Hardens numbers but it does "inflate" role players.
    • Shumpert
    • Lin
    • Etc...

Harden does "inflate" role players.
    • Delfino
    • Parsons
    • Etc...

I like House.
    I wanna keep House.
    Hes been great for us and filled in nicely.
    But hes a bench role player.

Hes worth the minimum and he turned down 3 years (guarenteed!!!).

Hes making an extreme gamble on himself, where he conversely puts himself in a position to NO LONGER be able to prove his worth.

The agent tried to overuse his leverage and Morey, being ever so methodical, isnt gonna feel pressured or desperate enough (no matter the circumstances) to sway from his core decision making.

topfive, jcmoon, Vivi and 2 others like this.
  5. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

But I thought the MLE that could be used to signed House this season (and possibly beyond) is a different MLE that's available for Rivers next summer.

Rockets could theoretically sign House with the remainder of their current MLE ($3.9M per year+raise). Then next summer, offer the full MLE ($5.3M per year) to Rivers right? Using up the rest of the current MLE would hinder the Rockets' ability to sign buy-outs, but I don't see how it affects Rivers contract offer.

6. AB_KIAd_myCar

AB_KIAd_myCar Member

It's finally time for Sergio Llull to make his debut

7. steddinotayto

You're right that's my mistake. Some reason I was processing what you originally posted as being NEXT year's MLE. So yea I don't have a clue why it matters outside of two reasons 1. buy out candidates and 2. Luxury tax purposes (e.g. Tilman is cheap)

joshuaao, Deckard and jchu14 like this.
  8. steddinotayto

You make your posts count man. I almost choked on my coffee reading this.

AB_KIAd_myCar likes this.
  9. icewill36

icewill36 Member

This owner is cheap. Rockets can’t win with him.

10. JVL713

JVL713 Contributing Member

Couple of questions for those who are more informed:

1) I read that 2-way players can return to playing NBA games without counting against the "NBA-days" limit once the G-League season ends in late March. Is this true, and would it affect House's playoff eligibility? Also, what are the restrictions on resigning him after the season if this is the outcome?

2) In regards to the MLE, why would using the remainder of this year's MLE restrict us from signing Austin Rivers? I must be wrong here, but I thought this was a yearly exception - IE we would get another MLE this summer.

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He’s worth what we offered, but I don’t blame him for turning us down.

We need him more than he needs us right now.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I'm ok with this.

For those of you saying, we "lost" House for nothing, we didn't. He can't be scooped up by another team from the RGV.

They'll continue to negotiate until the two sides come to a common ground and sign a deal.

BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

A few games of James Nunnally looking like a good NBA player and I bet House realizes the mistake he's making by turning down a guaranteed NBA slot next to this guy.

BigMaloe, snowconeman22 and topfive like this.
  14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

15. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

Yeah i'm with Morey on this one. House has been good but so was Gary Clark until he went cold. We were all praising Clark and he got the 3 year deal and went M.I.A. I just really hope House doesn't lose his one shot in the NBA with this stalemate they got going on. Once off season comes he will be forgotten by most NBA teams and will end up on a minimum contract again anyways with us or someone else.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. tmac2therack

tmac2therack Member

This is going to be backfire when Nunnaly shoots even better from deep. Rockets are basically just plug n play right now until we get our guys back. Houses agent is an idiot.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

he went mia.....yeah he went mia because he got a string of DNP's right after he signed his guaranteed deal. that's not on clark at all. how does he go cold when he isn't even in the game

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. bj83gc

bj83gc Member

House can return to the NBA at any point if the rockets either convert him to a rest of year deal or negotiate a new contract. His NBA service days are up so he cannot return until the end of the G League Season. He will NOT be eligible for playoffs on his two way contract though. He will be a RFA either way but the Rockets won't have bird rights to sign him so they can only offer him a minimum contract or use some of the MLE.

Austin Rivers is in the same boat with bird rights, so the only way of retaining him will be with the MLE. The MLE doesn't simply reset every year

JVL713 likes this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

LMAO this morning at all the comments likes "Morey is clueless" and "Morey doesn't realize..." and "Morey is overlooking..." and especially "Morey is great at looking at data but doesn't know how to deal with people." Posters here are even saying he's always cheap when it comes to contracts and negotiations always get contentious. In what universe does this stuff become reality?

Morey is probably the least likely GM in the league to not realize something or overlook anything. And if he's so cheap with contracts and they always get contentious, why are most of the contract talks completed with both sides happy and we hear nothing about issues? Morey didn't lowball Capela, he gave him a chance to see what the market was, and unfortunately for Clint the market for a center who benefits tremendously from playing with James Harden and who can't hit a shot from outside of 10 feet is just not that great. Clint learned the truth and signed a deal what was still ridiculously good for him.

CP3 signs max contract: "Morey's paying too much! He doesn't know what he's doing!"

Role players like Luc and DMo and House don't get everything they want: "Tilman is cheap and Morey lowballs all the players and alienates them!"

[​IMG]

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

funny that a few us have been lobbying for clark to get playing time the past few weeks. and as soon as that finally happens he performs so well that pringles ends up playing him the entire game. whether it's mcw, melo, etc it's just amazing that uniformed novices on this bbs consistently manage to see things better than the people who are supposed to be managing this team

YOLO likes this.