1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shaq on Yao: "Where he's from there are 2 trillion people."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Val, Jan 29, 2004.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

The stupid people are the ones that actually think Shaq believes there are 2 trillion people in China.

Some of ya'll need to get a sense of sarcasm.

2. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

The thing that I find lame is not that he's saying there's 2 trillion people in China, it's that he's saying that Yao won because of the internet vote from China. He's clearly jealous, and making an excuse. I just wish a reporter had the balls to ask him what he thought of the fact that he (Shaq) won the internet voting, while Yao won the paper balloting that comes only from North America.

3. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

But there are also stupid people who think the Chinese votes have a 2 trillion people effect over the ballot, Shaq being one of them.

4. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

A slightly different article from ESPN.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com new services

NEW YORK -- For the second straight year, basketball fans around the world have let it be known that Yao is now.

Yao Ming overtook Shaquille O'Neal in the final balloting and will be the starting center for the Western Conference in the NBA All-Star Game for the second straight year.

The undeniable popularity of the 7-foot-5 Yao has been proven in All-Star balloting over the last two years as he has received more votes than the sport's biggest star, relegating O'Neal to reserve status in the league's mid-season showcase.

"That's cool," O'Neal said. "Where he's from, there are 2 trillion people."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's what really makes me mad. The article opens by implying that "basketball fans around the world" (i.e. China) voted Yao in over Shaq.

I think the best thing would be to close internet voting to China next year, and find out what Shaq has to say when Yao wins again.

5. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Let's do a simple calculation here. Yao received under 1.25 million online votes. Now, no one can predict the composition of those votes. Namely, no one can say Yao get x% from China, y% from Europe, etc. Same thing can be said about Shaq's online votes. But for all purpose of the argument, let's say 100% of Yao's online votes came from China.

Let's also assume that 25% of China's 1.3 billion population have access to the internet (which is a big overestimate). Let's assume that 50% of those people are basketball fans (which once again is a gross overestimate). Finally, let's assume that each and every Chinese basketball fan with internet access "stuffed the ballot" 5 times (as the Faker fans claim), Yao would receive:

1,300,000,000 * .25 * .5 * 5 = 812,500,000

wow, over 812 million votes. :eek: Very very impressive.

Even assuming every Chinese basketball fan with internet access only voted for Yao once, he would receive over 162 million votes. So um, why does Yao only have less than 1.25 million online votes again? :confused: :confused:

This is of course, based on an overestimate of China's population with internet access, an overestimate of China's population that enjoys basketball, that all of the Chinese basketball fans voted for Yao AND all of Yao's online votes came from China.

I don't doubt there are Chinese fans that voted for Yao, just like I don't doubt that there are American fans that voted for Shaq. Bottom line, Faker fans need to shut up and stop being the whiny little b*tches they are.

6. room4rentsf

room4rentsf Contributing Member

I think if Yao had the breakout season everyone has been expecting from him his online totals would have broken all the records, but I think people have been disappointed in his play for most of the current season.

Be it too high of expectations or not..

I am happy to see 2 Rox starting in the All Star game and I hope they represent well..

J

7. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

He is just bitter:D Let's ignore him, vote him out in his remaining career.

--daoshi

8. daniel-bfl

daniel-bfl Contributing Member

Talking about high expectations, I voted more than 10 times for Yao in his rookie year, but the grand total of votes Yao got from me this year: ZERO. I expected him to lead Rockets to top 4 in West and post 20/10 regularly.

9. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

10. feishen

feishen Member

If all the Chinese fan were so crazy about the ASG and rooting for Yao, Shaq wouldnt even be close on the ballot. The truth is over China, there are a lot of people dont think Yao is as good as Shaq.

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Shaq said he slept with Halle Berry and Cindy Crawford. He's also said that he's great actor. He's serious too, so write him some hate mail.

Like the Democrats who didn't vote in the 2000 election. :D

12. lalala902102001

Shaq is just obnoxious.

This is a guy who misses half of the season due to some stupid injurys that is the sole result of his lack of commitment to physical fitness.

As much as I think that Yao doesn't deserve to start in the ASG, I'll take him over Shaq anyday.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm sure Shaq really keeps up with how many voted on-line and how many used ballots. Good Lord Shaq, you don't keep up with this?:rolleyes:

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jack Nicholson is pretty fanatical. But will he take 300 ballots home and use a power drill to fill them out? I doubt it.

I don't like LA fans either. They just assume that since they are the Lakers, they are automatically good.

BTW, the allstar votes just show that American fans like Yao more than Shaq.

15. jkg123

jkg123 Member

I believe he said its cool that Yao won...and he figures it was because of the internet vote. So he was wrong about the internet part...who cares?? He was just joking...so lighten up.

16. hkomives

hkomives Member

I have a really controversial and racially charged question concerning the voting for Yao Ming. Since most basketball fans in arena are white folks, why wasn't Brad Miller voted in?.... Then they must have gone to Yao Ming.

17. ckahlich001

ckahlich001 Member

HYPERBOLE, PEOPLE!
    get a dictionary and look it up.

18. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

Lighten up, he's just joking.

19. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

Hmmmm. Isnt it strange that many of the same posters here who have defended SF so vehemently, claiming that they are the true Rox fans, stigmatizing others as YOF, are now defending Shaq's stupid remarks. Really strange indeed. :rolleyes:

20. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Then maybe he shouldnt have made those comments.

Just thought Id throw a little logic your way.