1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Playoffs: Colts @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Your views on the Texans are a bit like your views on Lance Berkman.... repetitive, predictable, unlikely to change regardless of the outcome.

2. Buck Turgidson

Oh, I think BOB can change a lot of views in this next game. We'll see.

Nook likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Doubtful.

They should be able to beat the Colts merely via getting Luck to rush his throws and not turning the ball over. This is very much the same Colts team that was shutout by Jacksonville and had to resort to the no huddle to put points up against the Texans. Even then, Luck still made some questionable decisions with the ball and has continued to do so throughout the season, including last week against the Titans.

Of course, if Luck is on fire and they can't get much of a pass rush, its doubtful this offense will win a shootout (then again, that's exactly what they won earlier in the year against the Colts).

In the end, I don't see many of the usual suspects signing a different tune with a 24-20 win.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

All depends on what BOB does as the Head Coach and Offensive Coordinator.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, they put up a ton of points the first visit.

But the bulk of their winning streak has featured sound defense and an offense that protects the football. I'd venture the latter is the more likely way they're going to win games going forward.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

If they win in spite of BOB's often baffling game-situation-management decisions, I'm all for it.

I want to see him coach better, Brian.

7. Nook

Nook Member

The Colts aren’t the better team.

I agree with you having Watson is a big “X” factor.

I think he is a year away from going deep into the playoffs, but maybe he does it this season... I don’t put anything past him.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

This.

I don’t think Reich is anything special, but I have more confidence in him than BOB.

9. Nook

Nook Member

This.

I don’t think Reich is anything special, but I have more confidence in him than BOB.

10. Nook

Nook Member

The last time the Texans beat a playoff team was three months ago when they beat the Cowboys.

The Texans lost to the two playoff teams they faced down the stretch. They couldn’t even wrap up a bye after having it handed to them.

The Colts are not all that more impressive, but at least they beat playoff teams since the beginning of October.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Colts have beat as many playoff bound teams that the Texans have (both beating each other... and the Cowboys). They've also lost to the Jaguars as recently as December 2nd. They also lost to the Bengals and got to play the Raiders. The Texans beat a good Browns team as well as (at the time) a good Broncos team.

The Eagles loss, while unfortunate in terms of the bye, isn't anywhere near as close as bad as a loss as you're making it. They had a tremendous comeback and couldn't stop Nick Foles with less than 2 minutes to go (largely due to the Clowney penalty).

Its also quite the fallacy to point out how mediocre the Texans historically are... but then stating that they "should" have gotten a first round bye and finished with a 13-3 or better record.

12. Nook

Nook Member

The Texans have not beaten a playoff team in 90 days....

The Texans were handed a bye and blew it. Was it a disaster? Well they are playing this weekend... so I suppose it depends on how you look at it.

You can make excuses for losing to playoff caliber teams, but that is kind of the point... it takes excuses.

The Texans have a legitimate chance to win, they are at home and have more talent. The game is basically a pick em.

The schedules played by both the Texans and Colts were mediocre to be kind.

When you have to refer to the Broncos and Browns as “good” wins, the point is made.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Hell no. Lol you already know that @Nick we can win the damn super bowl and people would still kill Coach O’Brien lol

15. TejasTom

TejasTom Member

Radio:
    SportsRadio610 (610 AM, 100.3 FM)
    Marc Vandermeer Play-By-Play, Andre Ware Color Analyst, John Harris Sideline

Streaming: DirecTV Now, Hulu with Live TV, PlayStation Vue, YouTube TV, and Sling TV. You can also live stream the games through the CBS app if you log in with your cable TV credentials or with the Yahoo Sports app on IOS / Android.

Preview:

Flip Card:
    PDF

Officiating Crew: Bill Vinovich
    Texans are 8-6 with Vinovich
    Colts are 4-5 with Vinovich
    Home teams are 5-2 in playoff games Vinovich referees

Uniform Combination: Deep Steel Blue Jerseys/Liberty White Pants

Weather: 66° F Clear Full Weather: Link

Roof: Game Time Decision

Know where you are parking (Put your color lot in Waze)
    [​IMG]

Parking Information
    Platinum Lot:
    10:30AM
    Parking Lots: 11:30AM
    Pedestrian Gates: 12:00PM

Gate Information
    Bud Light Plaza:
    1:00PM
    Chevron Kids Corner: 1:00PM
    BULLevard presented by Academy Sports + Outdoors: 1:00PM
    Verizon East & West Entrances: 1:30PM
    All Other Gates: 2:00PM

Flag Holders: Houston Texans Fan Club Members
    National Anthem: Clay Walker
    Halftime: Flo Rida

Go Texans!

#BeatTheColts

No Worries, Chilly_Pete and bilaal14 like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

It’s pretty remarkable that the Texans keep winding up in this slot, but there isn’t necessarily a compelling reason from a ratings perspective to move them out of it. Most of these games haven’t been great from a ratings standpoint even considering the slot. 2015-16’s is the best in both raw numbers and year-over-year rise, up from 12.5 for afternoon Cardinals-Panthers the year before, but that one carries a massive disclaimer thanks to being only shown on ESPN and not ABC, and it was still by far the weakest number for wild-card games that year.

And the Texans haven’t exactly proven to be a national ratings draw, partly thanks to only being a franchise that’s only been around since 2002 and hasn’t had the greatest success. They’re from the seventh-largest media market, but there are a lot of Cowboys fans there (and a lot of fans of other teams who moved to Houston for work). And the 6.8 average rating they posted in national TV appearances this year doesn’t exactly scream that they need a better slot; that’s 24th in the 32-team NFL, and only ahead of the Baltimore Ravens (6.4) amongst playoff teams. And their opponent, the Indianapolis Colts, was 18th overall and third-worst amongst playoff teams with a 8.0, so Texans-Colts on Saturday afternoon seems about right considering the options.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Huge if he plays.

TejasTom and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Watt and Clowny have to show out....

Oline just has to play decent.

Bad feeling... but we can win.

19. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

I share this bad feeling with you

bilaal14 likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Weren't you "done" with this team at 0-3? You've actually been "done" with them since around 2006 or something. The point is, you'll continue to attempt to marginalize (or in your terms, "make excuses") for why you have no faith in this franchise... in a repetitive way you do for almost all your viewpoints (thankfully, you stopped your tirade on Hinch when it looked more and more silly).

You're going to have the same viewpoint no matter what the situation. Most realistic fans realize that this team, while rebounding in a way the most didn't expect, is far from complete. Very little "talent" in key areas that are normally common place on division winning/dominant teams (O-line, secondary). Yes, they played a favorable schedule... you know who played an even more favorable schedule? The Colts. NFL teams don't control these aspects...

They do finally have an all-world franchise QB who is only 23 years old. They do have an all-world all-pro WR who has almost surpassed Altuve as the best contract in Houston sports history. They also have a ton of cap space, all their picks, and a conference that remains very much up for grabs. I know you again will say you have limited optimism the the franchise will ever do anything with these facets... and that pretty much ends up putting you in the category of "until they do it, they won't do it" mensa-level fan analysis category.

marks0223, csj, mario_v and 1 other person like this.