1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Trump's Wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, it's not necessary in YOUR opinion, it is necessary in MY opinion and in the opinion of the men and women who actually do the job of trying to secure the border....also in the opinion of Democrats before "orange man bad" politics took over. When you say that the wall is "not necessary" you have to know that's not a "fact" and it doesn't help your argument to misrepresent it as one.

That said, even if it is a 70 billion dollar "waste", we have popular Democrats calling to waste 300 billion a year in a futile effort to redistribute wealth....a 3 trillion dollar waste over 10 years. Again, the worst case scenario is not that big a deal, the ONLY reasons to be against it is either because you are worried it would be effective and you are concerned that the slave class will start to disappear or that you simply don't want the orange man to get a win.

After all, if it wouldn't work, what's the harm?

I'm not wrong about other countries, literally none of them have an illegal immigration problem anywhere near the scope of the problem the US has. We're looking at more than 10 million illegal immigrants, other countries look at 50-100k illegal immigrants as a big problem.

2. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Ouch. I didn’t mean to trigger you.

3. rage

rage Member

We did not have a wall in 1970-80. Did we have a problem? Or did we have a serious problem like you said we do now? I have already stated all of my arguments against the wall. You have no arguments. The people trying to secure the border? They just toe the line.
    In fact, we don't have the wall now, where is the invasion of the immigrants?
    I am telling you if you don't give jobs to the illegal immigrants, you will need to open the door to that wall of yours to let the people out.

What's harm? It's wasteful AND the politicians will stop working to solve the real problem.

You can't read properly. The other countries have the problem that they do not have the illegal immigrants to keep inflation down.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not having a wall has led to having 12+ million illegal immigrants in the country, the worst illegal immigration problem in the developed world, and we still have tens of thousands of people every month trying to get in via that unsecured southern border.

Now I've read your argument that keeping a slave class in the country keeps inflation down, but I don't buy that the country would be doomed without that slave class. Would we have some short term inflation in a few industries? Possibly....but so what?

As to the illegal immigration problem, even the most conservative estimates suggest that illegal immigrants in the country cost the government 50 billion dollars a year even after accounting for any incidental taxes they may have paid. The most liberal estimate for the cost of a border wall is 70 billion dollars meaning that cutting off the flow and then putting in policies that lead to the illegal immigrants here already leaving would pay for itself in less than 2 years.

Now would a wall system stop 100% of the problem? Of course not, but it would discourage many from even trying and would make the job of border patrol stopping those who do attempt to make it across much, much easier.

I still have yet to see a valid reason to not at least attempt it.....and saying that "it's a fact" that it wouldn't work is not in any way valid. In fact, stating partisan talking points as "fact" kind of kills credibility.

5. rage

rage Member

You are confused between correlation and causation. Twelve million illegal immigrants came to this country because of the jobs they got, wall or no wall.

Who said the country would be doomed without that "slave class"? I just want you to understand it's not all peaches.
    Possibly we have a short term inflation? You can't say it is a yes or no? Of course it is a yes and it's not short term, it's long term and it stays forever and it's not isolated to a few industries. If you have to pay more for your slave service (plus having to pay more without the cheap garments from China), you do not have the extra cash for iphone, for new car .... You have to wait a few months for buy new ones ... That affects all industries.

I don't agree with your cost figure.

You haven't seen a valid reason? I guess I wasted enough breaths on you.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's about the same as saying that your car was stolen because of income inequality and not because you left it unlocked with the keys inside for days. If the border had been secured, the potential jobs here wouldn't have mattered. You don't get to having 12 million plus illegal immigrants in the country without an unsecured border.

The country survived the last time Republicans took away slaves from Democrats, they'll survive it the next time.

As to you "not agreeing" with my cost figure, again I used by far the most charitable numbers out there, the numbers that best support illegal immigrants not being a burden and it's still 50 billion a year. There are many other numbers out there that are twice that number, for the sake of the conversation, I'll ignore them for your benefit but you can't just say "nuh uh" LOL.

No, I haven't seen a valid reason and you certainly haven't brought up any. Worrying about losing a slave class isn't valid IMO.

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

It’s really something watching these “fiscal conservatives” jump through hoops to justify spending billions of dollars on a wall that they were promised Mexico would pay for. Thankfully, Donald said earlier today that the wall is nearly done, so he shouldn’t need anymore money allocated for it.

8. adoo

adoo Member

Transcripts From Early 2017 : Trump Told Then-Mexican President
    Border Wall Is 'Least Important Thing'

The transcripts say that Trump told then-Mexican President, Peña Nieto. that the border wall is
    "the least important thing we are talking about, but politically this might be the most important."

This is a startling admission from a president who at rallies led his supporters in chants of "build the wall."

Trump repeatedly assured his supporters that Mexico would pay for the border wall. Peña Nieto disagreed; on Jan. 25, the Mexican president told his nation in a televised address that they "would not pay" for the wall

In the call with Peña Nieto in early 2017, Trump asked him to knock it off: "If you are going to say that Mexico is not going to pay for the wall, then I do not want to meet with you guys anymore because I cannot live with that."

Trump also said he had to push for Mexico to pay for the wall because he had promised it for so long.

"I have to have Mexico pay for the wall — I have to," he said. "I have been talking about it for a two-year period."

Other quotes reported by the Post indicate that Trump was vague about how exactly the funding of the border wall would work. He said that the funding for it "will work out in the formula somehow" and that it would "come out in the wash," according to the Post.

On the wall itself, Peña Nieto stood firm. "My position has been and will continue to be very firm, saying that Mexico cannot pay for the wall,"

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's more funny watching fiscally irresponsible people on the left complaining about 5 billion dollars while supporting plans that would cost 60 to 800 times that much every single year. It seems like the only time that group is worried about spending money is when it would be politically advantageous to others.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

I asked you to provide a reason. You gave an example without stating why the information supports your claim. Your post was lacking an actual argument. Statistics by themselves can be related to a number of reasons and just posting stats doesn't say enough. You are so arrogant that you assume I couldn't understand a basic chart. Really? The level of ego you have is astounding.

There are a large number of factors that affect immigration both at home and abroad, and your chart is related to all of those factors. Just taking a dump in the forum with a chart isn't saying anything of relevence.

11. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Awww... your lil' fweelings are hurt. I get it. Having to wake up every day, knowing you have to defend your support of trump, and every day he says or does something really stupid. I actually give you credit... coming up with things to post here in defense of the truly indefensible. Must really suck. Again, I get it. Unless... you truly think the same as trump. If so, wow, that sucks even more.

But don't let my posts get you too down. Maybe you could read the charts, maybe not. But the word you tried to spell was "relevance".

Deckard likes this.
  12. edwardc

edwardc Member

People let be real about this wall joke anyone with half a brain knows that a wall is a bad and will not work the current wall or fence that is up will do in some places the 1.3 billon that has already been approved should be enough to get stated on getting more border patrol and tech gear to catch those that slip pass the fence and try to cross over a concrete wall is not the answer.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You can't just state that without a reason why you think "a wall is a bad". Everywhere else in life when you are attempting to prevent people to go somewhere walls are used, so you can't just say "everyone knows" without stating a reason why in this instance it would be "a bad"

14. edwardc

edwardc Member

There has been a fence there for decades has it stopped anyone from coming building a wall will not fix this issue reform will which to this point neither side has been willing to sit down and fix.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's not true though. There is a fence, and even walls in certain parts of the border, but there are hundreds of miles where you can just walk straight into the country with nothing to stop you. It's the reason why Border Patrol's job is so hard.

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

You do know that those hundreds of miles some are all
    [​IMG]
    There is a fence Border patrol uses the desert to help with illegals crossing the border.
    [​IMG]

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

We should just start buying parts of Mexico.

Give the Mexican government aid with the understanding that we will be purchasing the land to annex onto the United States.

All the Mexican's on the land can stay and become United States citizens or be relocated further South.

This would give us a buffer area and some of that area is really beautiful.

Rich Americans will gladly build large estates on it and possibly even resorts.

Once the US military has a presence, the violence and gangs will head South.

I'd rather own the land free and clear than have to deal with some foolish wall.

Other option that I am surprised Trump hasn't discussed if deploying landmines on the boarder or missiles that can be deployed from drones.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There is a fence in some areas, but not all, there are still parts of the border that you can just walk right in. That's my point. Also, yeah, a lot of it is desert, but that doesn't mean you can leave it unsecured, people will walk through the desert to get in.

Some areas have huge gaps in between walled or fenced areas like this

[​IMG]

There are hundreds of miles that have nothing at all or only vehicle barriers like this

[​IMG]

Finally getting serious about border security means building a wall to cover all or nearly all of the border. If you do so, it makes the job of border patrol a lot easier as people can't just walk in. I see no serious reason why this shouldn't have bi-partisan support.....I understand why the "No Trump, no wall, no USA at all" Antifa types would be against it, but I'm hoping they are a tiny minority.