1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ringer/KOC] The Rockets Don’t Have a Switch to Flip. They’ll Have to Acquire One

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"It all starts with their switching scheme on defense, which opponents are exploiting more than ever."

Bingo! This is what I was saying in my "how to fix the rebounding" thread and in the Mavs/Rockets game thread.

BHannes2BHonest and fryjol7 like this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Of the 10 biggest drop-offs we’ve seen in NBA history that fit that criteria, most teams on the list got worse because they lost a star: Shaquille O’Neal left the Magic in free agency; Wilt Chamberlain retired from the Lakers; the Pacers lost Jermaine O’Neal, Ron Artest, and Stephen Jackson to suspension after the Malice at the Palace; the Kawhi Leonard drama of last season left the Spurs without a true game-changing presence.

"Ariza leaving the Rockets".........probably

seeingred, RocketsMAN! and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

This is easier said than done. There are push and pull factors on this one. To break from the constant switches Harden has to play more defense. If Harden does more on the defensive end, his usage on the offensive one has to go down. With the poor shooting, it's hard to see that happening... and now we're caught in a loop.

A trade might help break that loop for sure. Ennis can't shoot for crap, EG has been delightfully awful and PJ is being tasked with doing so much on the defensive end his legs are gone on offense. There is only one silver bullet here and that's better shooting. I'm just not sure how you fix that without trading everyone not named Harden or Paul.

BasketMAD, Amel, fryjol7 and 4 others like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Rockets have their bigs—Capela, Nene, or Isaiah Hartenstein—switch onto ball handlers, which can leave a perimeter defender on a larger, stronger player inside. They switch more screens than any other team, which allows opponents to choose their own matchups as though they were playing a video game. Opposing teams are giving the Rockets a taste of their own medicine by pick-and-rolling them to death, then exploiting mismatches on switches; the goal is to get the big man away from the rim with a switch because it opens the floodgates to the paint. Teams finish 19.4 percent of their possessions using isolations against Houston—which is the highest frequency in a Synergy Sports database that goes back to the 2004-05 season—because of plays like this:

Capela has defended 114 isolation possessions this season (or 4.6 per game)—a significant margin over the next closest bigs, Kevon Looney (73), Joel Embiid (58), and Steven Adams (52). Capela logged only 184 all of last season. It’s unfair to expect a paint enforcer like Capela to defend guards at a level necessary to consistently contain penetration. The problem is compounded because no one else on their roster can effectively protect the rim when Capela is stuck on the perimeter. Unlike last season, the Rockets don’t have enough wings who know how to play big.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Very fair points on the ripple effects. Can't argue that. It is tough.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Also, I didn't mean to word vomit on you either. The Rockets twittersphere is pissing me off. So many fans think the rockets can be fixed in 280 characters or fewer. Going back and forth between there and here has riled me up! Haha

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I like this example comparing to last year ... doing a scram switch.

With Ariza and Mbah a Moute, the Rockets were more effective at executing a “scram switch,” a defensive maneuver that has two players switch their assignments away from the ball in order to establish a more preferable matchup. In the clip below from last season, the Celtics run a handoff to get Al Horford switched onto Paul, and the Rockets respond by having Ariza and Paul switch again. Horford gets forced into a shot from the post, which Ariza strongly contests.

That's the stuff Ariza's high IQ can do for you in an elite switching defense.

[​IMG]

9. heypartner

imo, the article is more about we don't have the talent to play any defense as effectively as last year, and Bzdelik using three different looks on Luka illustrates that -- we switched, then went over the DJ pick, then trapped him. We got embarrassed by all of them.

10. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

I like this example, and I think Ariza's length is underrated, but wouldn't that defense by Ariza be called a foul this year because his arm is wrapped around Horford's waist?

11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Some names KOC throws out. We have heard these names before. Hey @Clutch he even mentions Bobby Portis! :p

Some options at forward that come to mind include: James Johnson (Heat), DeMarre Carroll (Nets), and Markieff Morris and Jeff Green (Wizards), players whose teams are on the outside looking in at the playoffs. Johnson and Morris, in particular, could provide muscle on defense while spacing the floor from 3. Bobby Portis (Bulls) makes sense as a player who brings a little extra size, and if the Rockets really want to scrape the bottom of the barrel, they could take a flier on another former Suns lottery pick, Dragan Bender.

I wonder whether Morey would think about taking a grand risk by exploring a trade for Cavaliers power forward Kevin Love, or even Wizards forward Otto Porter Jr., but both players recently signed massive extensions. While either player could help Houston—Love with scoring, playmaking, and rebounding; Porter with shooting and defending—both players are too expensive to be viable options.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yup, very true HP

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

It would be, but I feel like he could adjust to that quickly this season.

14. heypartner

no. Freedom of Movement doesn't really emphasize low post defense. You have more freedom of contact to hold your ground there. It's the off -ball stuff that they are mainly looking at.

15. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

Arm wraps in the post are specifically mentioned:

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, twitter can be that way. On twitter, or here, I have never said there are simple fixes. There is a lot of nuance. I just want to open a dialog with fans on ways to fix the problems. Looking for solutions.....the pieces to the puzzle. I don't know everything, and want to learn from others that have insights.

17. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I don't think this is our major problem. I think it is the breakdown of the ISO offense due to a lack of capable shooters off the ball.

AroundTheWorld and Elephant810 like this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is an excellent example HP. Yeah, these are the small nuanced things that aren't shown in the box score. And they ADD UP.

tycoonchip and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. heypartner

Keep in mind, also, that our switching defense has far less exposure to its disadvantage vs the Warriors -- specifically the rebounding issue. We had none of the article's issues in our blowout win this year. The advantages of our switching v the Warriors, far out-weighs the disadvantages, and imso, every team *must* switch their motion, or you are toast. Good luck trying other defenses vs the Warriors.

So, I feel there might be some elitist arrogance in our minds (obsession) to not view the so-called weaker West teams as worthy of adjusting away from our Defense that we can still use effectively against our only threat, right, 'cause we're still the only real contender, right. :(

sigh

also, the so-called biggest disadvantage of switching is to say you're letting the offense dictate what they want. Well, I'm convinced last year that our response to that was really...oh, yeah, well ... play ISO ball against us, then. That's actually us dictating your offense. Go ahead, try to outscore us if we are both playing Rockets offense... that's the approach with the Warriors....we can't beat them at their game, but we have a chance if we can make them play ISO ball vs our switching defense.​

But now ... the damn rebounding problem is what's improving the opps ORtg to make last year's "Who cares" approach to teams trying to play Rocket ball and attack switches with ISO. Got to figure out the defensive rebounding exploitation ... and improve our offense ... then the ISO attack v our switching is us once again dictating a game of math.

#19 heypartner, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

[​IMG]

BaselineFade likes this.