1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guys, is it too late for us to compete for Zion and Barrett?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 疯狂伊文戴德蒙, Dec 7, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Actually it doesn't matter if we tank . If you think the NBA will ever let us win the lottery or even be top 3 .... then you are sorely mistaken .

We could have the worst record and I would guarantee we get the 4th pick .

whiskeyred likes this.
  2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

13 other teams passed on him too .

No one thought he would be this good

You can't underestimate how big of a role popovich played in his development .

If he went to any other team than SA there is no way he's a top 15 player right now

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

30 general managers including Myers should be fired cause they passed on Draymond :D

4. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

100%

rgw20014life likes this.
  5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Right .

And green was lucky to be placed in a position where he could flourish (and get away with being dirty / set moving screens )

If green was drafted by another NBA team no telling how he turns out .

I think Morey has done great to identify talent . If there is one area I think he needs to work on it's being able to develop that talent . But then again , can't develop talent if you don't keep it .

Vivi likes this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Totally agree. In fact i still hate we lost for various reason guys like Covington and Melton...i know it happens for every team and we probably lost other decent/interesting guys in the past, but i really liked those two and the fact that we lost them to retain Garcia and to dump Anderson really pisses me off.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Being as capped as they are their only real hope of getting another impact player without giving up one of the few functional rotation players they have is to tank. Really have no choice.

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed .

I'm not saying Morey has been perfect . No one is . But he is constrained in a bunch of ways and usually makes the right decision given the environment at the time .

Knight might yet come through for us .

hou$tonScrew$tonTX likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

Don't get me wrong, i'm a big fan of Morey (and the idea that some guys have here about fire him is terrible, that would be a huge mistake), and i'm absolutely sure that Les and MDA played a way bigger role than him in the signing of Anderson, i think by himself he would've never give that contract so, Les being tired of flexibility and MDA pushing for the stretch 4 probably costed us Melton in the end...with that said yeah, everyone makes mistakes, and let's say basically nobody wins without some sort of rebuild/tank. Since when Morey is here we almost did that two times, and last season Morey & co. took some risks for being in that position, paid off and basically everyone was ok with that even if they knew we were going to be in the position we are today in terms of assets, age, flexibility etc...now that it seems it's backfiring (which is something that can happen when you take risks, and again, we knew getting Chris Paul was going to cost us a lot in terms of felxibility and assets), he should be fired... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We won the lotto several times dude
    Yao
    Steve Francis - was the number two pick and we traded for him
    Hakeem Olajuwon

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

That was back before we became hated .

Also Ralph and Hakeem were in the coin flip days . Also I think Steve was not a #1 .

Let me be jaded dude

12. tinman

Supporting Member

You realize Yao was number 1 right?
    Cause we sucked

You’re making up stuff in your head now

The Rockets are on national tv on all time and talked about

Time travel back to the 90s when we won two titles and nobody put us on tv

Nobody bought Hakeems shoes

lw17 and slothy420 like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

Regardless of how horrible it seems now

There’s no chance we are as bad as Phoenix or Atlanta or Cleveland

lw17 likes this.
  14. RightTooCensor

We'll see once Morey unleashes the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on the NBA. All Chris, James, P.J., and Clint need to do is get comfortable on the bench.

lw17 likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

Time to play Chee

16. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

For RJ and Zion yes. For Cam Reddish, no. And I truly think we should tank for Cam. Kid is KD lite and would seamlessly fit into this offseason. He'd be an immediate star for us

Fantasma Negro likes this.
  17. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

At 2.5 games out of the playoffs there is a 0% chance this team is tanking. There are too many bad teams and would be a wasted season for probably a sixth or seventh pick at best.

Major trade(s) is more realistic

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Hakeem was the last #1 pick before the lottery was implemented.

The Rockets had the #1 pick in back to back years drafting Sampson and Akeem. 14-68 & 29–53.

Cant count Francis as winning the lottery , they traded for him after the draft when he refused to play in Vancouver.

The only time the Rockets won the lottery was 2002 & they had the 5th worst record..

What's crazy is we've only had 3 sub .500 seasons since 83.

19. RightTooCensor

It would be a wasted season not making the WCF or beating the Warriors. A least we have a chance at the number one pick by staying the course or embracing the tank. At the very least we add a lottery talent to a team capped out and with limited trade chips.

Our franchise upside is better off by not putting James Harden at risk of injury, not adding unnecessary miles to Chris Paul, and getting the best possible pick in the 2019 NBA Draft.

Der Rabbi likes this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I just don't know how we can. If James Harden is healthy we'll be a .500 team. We might fall in the lottery but just barely.