1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston is hoping Super Bowl will bring infusion of respect

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 26, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/a...owl_spotlight_houston_seeks_boost_in_respect/

What residents of the nation's fourth-largest city really want, other than a Super Bowl berth for their Houston Texans, is a little respect.

Houstonians are still smarting from the collapse of Enron and are thirsty for the stature routinely denied them by those who consider the metropolis to be a massive backwater. That Texas-sized pride is exactly what businessman Robert C. McNair tapped when he spent $700 million of his own fortune four years ago to buy the Texans. The deal concluding the purchase of the team, which replaced the departed Houston Oilers, included becoming host for the 2004 Super Bowl.

"I just felt like Houston was being forgotten," McNair said in an interview, clad in a sweat shirt and shorts with the logo of the Texans. "If people aren't talking about you, they soon forget about you. And if you're not in the NFL -- and it looked as though we might lose baseball and basketball as well -- it's easy to be forgotten and thought of as a second-tier city."

The city will also host professional baseball's All-Star Game in July.

That is the story of Houston, a sprawling metroplex crisscrossed by ribbons of interlocking freeways that has something of an inferiority complex. It is a city of 2 million people used to playing second fiddle to its detested, flashier rival, Dallas (which, for the record, has a mere 1.1 million people). So as an estimated 100,000 Super Bowl tourists flock to town, city leaders and even ordinary Houstonians are eager to show off the thriving arts scene; the glitzy, redeveloped downtown; and the folksy friendliness.

"Every opportunity that we think we might press upon people why Houston is so great, we're going to take advantage of that -- using the Super Bowl as the tool," said Gerard J. "Jordy" Tollett, president of the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau.

Tollett and other city boosters rattle off a stream of statistics about the city's renaissance since the glum late-1980s, when plummeting oil prices wrecked the economy and downtown after 5 p.m. resembled a graveyard.

More than $2 billion in public and private money has enlivened downtown with loft apartments and nightclubs, and a 7.5-mile light-rail line has debuted -- even though Houston drivers, unaccustomed to coexisting with such modes of public transportation, keep colliding with the trains.

Still, city leaders are counting on the publicity machine to crank into high gear, not through hot nightspots or swanky hotels, but through their own city dwellers. Last week, officials unveiled an advertising campaign aimed at capitalizing on the hospitality of Houstonians by reminding everyone to be nice. It was called, "Put Your Smile On. Company's Coming!"

Such a down-home slogan might trigger sneers in uptown places like Boston. But it fits Houston's easygoing temperament, said Betsy Gelb, a professor of marketing and entrepreneurship at the University of Houston's Bauer College of Business.

"What Houston is trying to offer as charm is the folks who live here, not the old historic buildings or the -- well, it's pretty hard to finish the sentence, isn't it?" Gelb said. "What else have you got? So you play up your strengths."

They reside in a city of 633 square miles, about 15 times the size of Boston. Defined by its freeways, including one beastly 14-lane stretch on the southwest side, Houston at its widest point is 48.5 miles. That is roughly the distance from Boston to Worcester.

Between is a hodgepodge of development spurred by lax zoning laws: brash, shiny skyscrapers; miles of strip malls and chain restaurants; and billboards.

The Space City is known as an arts mecca because of its full-time companies in ballet, orchestra, theater, and opera. It is also known as the country's fattest city, labeled such in 2001 by Men's Journal. Few here walk, after all; they drive. A select number blast off, thanks to NASA, which is headquartered south of the city.

At The Tavern on Gray, a sports bar billing itself as the official headquarters for Patriots fans, Houstonians interviewed one evening seemed eager for the spotlight.

"It'll be good for the economy as far as bringing more people that would like to move here and see what we're all about," said Andrew Rocha Jr., 32, a Houston native who works for Wells Fargo. "It seems like we never get publicity. It's always Dallas that gets it all."

Amid all the tree-planting, the back-patting, and the party-planning that has consumed Houston, it is easy to forget that the city landed the big game partly because of a bitter, Astrodome-sized breakup.

Like a bored spouse, the Houston Oilers in 1997 dumped their home city of 37 years and moved to Tennessee after officials rejected demands for a new stadium to replace the aging Astrodome.

Into the void stepped McNair, who became a billionaire in the energy business. He paid $700 million for the Texans, a price that included an extra $50 million at the request of NFL owners for the right to be the host for the Super Bowl.

Estimates vary on the economic impact of the Feb. 1 game, Houston's second Super Bowl. The Super Bowl XXXVIII host committee pegs it at $300 million. Texas Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn thinks the Houston area will reap $165.5 million out of the $336 million that will benefit the entire Lone Star State. University of Houston economist Barton Smith, who compiles twice-yearly economic forecasts for the city, guesses that about $200 million will flow to Greater Houston.

That will not repair the city's slowly recovering economy, but it will help, Smith said. In the last 30 years, Houston has felt the sting of a crash in the '80s and, in between, booms in the '70s and 1990s.

"One of the things people don't talk about is -- how important is a $200 million impact? The answer is, not superimportant," Smith said. "It is a nice little blip."

But as prominent Houstonians such as McNair see it, it is not all about the money.

"The Super Bowl will give Houston a platform, and a platform on which it can stand and be judged," said McNair, 67. "And I think it will be judged very favorably. We get a bad rap because of the weather. My gosh, how's the weather in Boston? Here I am in workout clothes and shorts."

McNair's Texans ended their season at 5-11, but the team's presence cheered a city still smarting from the snub by the Oilers. And the Texans got what the Oilers did not -- a $449 million new stadium, the first in the NFL with a retractable roof, partly paid with taxpayer money.

"When people see Reliant Stadium, that will speak volumes itself that this city is committed to big-time sports," said Larry Jaycox, 53, a patron at The Tavern on Gray. "And we have the will to back it up."

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i read this article this morning and thought that it described the houston i knew 10 years ago. maybe that's what bostonians think of our city, today...but it's certainly not accurate. particularly the comparisons with dallas..geez, it's been quite some time since dallas has been the focus of attention in this state. at least in my view.

3. freeflowin'

freeflowin' Member

sports guy is coming out with a blog during his stay here in houston for the next week. should be hilarious... and inciteful.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I do wish that more people would enter Houston through Intercontinental than Hobby. Not that the route along Beltway 8 and I-45 North is fantastic, but I have been to Hobby twice within the past month and....ugh, Sweet Lord Almighty, what are visitors gonna think when they see the area around Hobby, so sorry?

"Well we're here. We'll get the bags, you go to the Hertz counter and get the car."

Later, driving past construction workers, weed-overgrown lots and t*tties-R-Us and Denny's:

"Damn, couldn't they have held the Super Bowl in San Francisco?"

But I love my city, warts and all.

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Simmons has been getting on my nerves lately, I expect him to bash H-town.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I like this article better...front page sports in USA Today.

A year as big as all Texas
    By Tom Weir, USA TODAY

HOUSTON — In an oil-driven state that's long accustomed to cycles of boom and bust, Texans can count on a yearlong gusher in sports, starting with Sunday's Super Bowl.

That game will mark the first time the NFL holds its annual spectacle beneath a retractable roof, in Houston's $449 million Reliant Stadium, and will end the 30-year drought since football-obsessed Texas last hosted a Super Bowl.

The Super Bowl kickoff in Space City also will signal liftoff for an unprecedented sports trifecta for Texas. San Antonio's Alamodome will be the site of the Final Four championship in college men's basketball in April, and the Houston Astros will host baseball's All-Star Game in July. No state has been home to those events in one year.

There couldn't be a more opportune year to have the sports world focused on the Lone Star State because, on the field of play, now is no time to mess with Texas:

• The San Antonio Spurs are defending NBA champions.

• This summer, native Texan Lance Armstrong goes for his sixth consecutive triumph in cycling's Tour de France, where he's always made a point of waving the Texas flag.

• The Dallas Cowboys, rejuvenated under coach Bill Parcells, just made their first NFL playoff appearance in four seasons.

• Rice won last year's College World Series in baseball, and the University of Texas won the previous year.

• In college women's basketball, Texas Tech and Texas are ranked in the top five.

• And the Astros made the biggest offseason news in baseball by signing a pair of Texas-raised pitchers who had been superstars for the New York Yankees — Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte.

All of which, in a state where a future U.S. president was principal owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team, brings new meaning to being a Bush Leaguer.

"We see sports as a major economic catalyst to create jobs and wealth in our state," says Texas Gov. Rick Perry, a Republican.

His state also will host North America's richest day in horse racing when the $14 million Breeders' Cup is held Oct. 30 at Lone Star Park near Dallas. And men's tennis will have its biggest payday in Texas at the $3.7 million Masters Cup in Houston on Nov. 13-21.

"Every community is actively pursuing these types of activities," says Perry, who attributes that drive to the Texas tradition that "small, rural communities may not have a blinking light, but they still will have a football team."

Oddly, the Texas city without the NFL from 1997-2001 was its largest, Houston, after its Oilers moved to Tennessee to get a new stadium. Houston, the USA's fourth-largest city, also might have lost its baseball and basketball teams if not for a four-year building spree that gave the city Reliant Stadium for the NFL Texans, Minute Maid Park for the Astros and the just-opened Toyota Center for the NBA Rockets.

Houston has 'can-do attitude'

Robert McNair, the Houston Texans owner and the man most responsible for bringing in the Super Bowl, says his city's sports redemption is in keeping with the area's history.

"There were a lot of people here who made fortunes and lost them and made them back," McNair says. "There's always been sort of a can-do attitude, that we can do it — don't give up."

But in 1999 McNair was almost ready to give up on purchasing an NFL expansion franchise for Houston because the league's asking price was $700 million.

"The price got up to $650 million, and at that point I said, 'I'm not paying any more,' " McNair says. "I said, 'You've got to figure out how you can bring more value to the table if you want me to pay more than $650 million for this team.' So the NFL said, 'Well, how about a Super Bowl?' I said, 'Well, we'll talk some more.' "

McNair's team has quickly gained popularity and credibility, taking the Super Bowl favorite New England Patriots into overtime this season before losing. But McNair says that reborn sports enthusiasm was absent when the Oilers left.

"It was like the business community said, 'Who cares?' " McNair says. "I kept telling all my friends in the corporate community, 'You're going to regret losing this team, and you're going to wish we hadn't.'

"And everybody said it wouldn't make a difference."

Houston soon learned otherwise. Astros outfielder Craig Biggio recalls the Oilers' move as "a big belly punch here because people love football." It also left Houstonians with one, dreaded choice for watching football on Sunday.

"I didn't want to watch the Dallas Cowboys every Sunday," Biggio says of Houston's rival team, "but you had no other choice."

Now, with Reliant's retractable roof and Houston's weather likely to attract more Super Bowls, Texas pride dictates the Cowboys make good on their goal of a 75,000-seat, $650 million, retractable-roof stadium that could expand to 100,000 capacity for special events. The team hopes to have a referendum on the November ballot that would designate hotel and rental-car taxes for construction, to be completed by 2009.

"We want to have something that's more than a stadium," says Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones, son of owner Jerry Jones. "We want something that's not only about competition but that is a tribute to sports. ... We could make this a place where people go to learn about sports."

Jones says the team is open to all innovations and the stadium complex will include a sports-oriented mall and might house a variety of halls of fame.

"I think our fans deserve this," says Jones, whose team has played in a record eight Super Bowls. "I think it ought to be of the magnitude that would go hand-in-hand with the history of our franchise."

Such leaps in stadium design aren't new to Texas. Houston's Astrodome was billed the "Eighth Wonder of the World" in1965 when it opened as the first domed stadium. Outdated by the '90s, it was the reason the Oilers left and why the Astros considered moving to Virginia. To provide a new park for the Astros, Houston in 1996 passed a referendum much like the one planned in Dallas.

"There might not be a (pro) team in Houston today if we hadn't won that referendum," Astros owner Drayton McLane says of a measure that barely passed with 50.7% support. The elder George Bush "certainly helped us campaign. I said if we won, we would do everything to get an All-Star Game."

But even McLane's state-of-the-art, retractable-roof stadium, Enron Field, became a symbol of civic embarrassment as the scandal over the biggest bankruptcy in U.S. history began to unfold in 2001. To rename it Minute Maid Park, McLane had to buy back the naming rights from Enron's creditors.

"It just shows the spirit of Texans," McLane says of Houston's rebound in sports. "Things go wrong sometimes, and you can't feel sorry for yourself. That's the exciting part of Houston, that it's such a resilient community."

That sports fervor is just as big in small-town Texas, says Texas Tech women's basketball coach Marsha Sharp, whose team has been ranked No. 1 this season and draws as well as Tech's men. By recruiting mostly in Lubbock's northwest-Texas region, Sharp says, "there will be caravans from small towns to come and see us."

Houston 'on world stage'

Texas' sports windfall in 2004 isn't by design so much as it is the serendipitous product of several ongoing efforts randomly coming together at once.

McNair made his Super Bowl deal with the NFL in 1999 and as a Breeders' Cup board member had influence on city selection. San Antonio made itself a perennial Final Four candidate in 1998 when it hosted the event for the first time and won wide praise as a visitor-friendly city where many fans could walk from their hotels to the Alamodome. McLane vowed to reward voters with a successful All-Star bid when the referendum passed.

Breeders' Cup spokesman Jim Gluckson says Texas wasn't a tough sell, particularly because of the state's appeal to horse racing's high rollers from Europe, the Middle East and Japan.

"The person wearing that cowboy hat is still one of our great symbols," Gluckson says. "People from overseas enjoy that quintessential American image, and they want to see Texas."

Worldwide, the most-watched team is from Texas, when the NBA Rockets have their games broadcast in China, the nation of their 7-6 center, Yao Ming.

Robert Dale Morgan, president of Houston's Super Bowl Committee, says most of this week's 100,000 visitors will be seeing Houston for the first time.

"This is Houston stepping onto the world stage," says Morgan, who for Super Bowl XXXVIII has organized a 38-hour "Main Event" with 40 bands performing in a 16-block downtown area. Fans can shuttle from there to Reliant Stadium on a new light rail system that opened this month.

"Mega events help cities get things done on schedule that they wouldn't have done otherwise," Morgan says. "What Super Bowls do for cities is validate them. People say it must be a world-class city if it's capable of hosting a world-class event."

Texas pride on display

But even with the Super Bowl in Houston, McLane's Astros have been an equal source of optimism in the last month after signing Pettitte and Clemens to pitch for their hometown team.

"The whole town is excited right now," says Astros outfielder Lance Berkman, a two-time All-Star who was the team's only Texas-raised player until Pettitte and Clemens signed. "I can't tell how much of it is the Super Bowl and how much is us signing Andy and Roger."

Berkman typifies Texas pride. He went to Rice and proudly displays a Lone Star State flag over his locker, each year bidding "good riddance" to teammates who don't make Texas their offseason home. And Berkman says Texans really aren't surprised by their dominance of the 2004 sports calendar.

"I think people in the state of Texas strive for things like that," Berkman says. "Texans, myself included, make no bones about saying we're the best state on the planet."