1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2019 forecast - Climate Change is primary issue humans face, ignored because of Economics

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

100% odds that the values of the scientists matters more to you than the actual science and facts.

Nuclear missiles could be headed your way and a presidential text from a Dem tells you to evacuate, you'd say to yourself, "I bet the president isn't evacuating so I guess I'm going to sit here"

That's idiot thinking 101

Harrisment likes this.
  2. Accord99

Accord99 Member

I wonder how many of the G20 nations noticeably decreased their CO2 emissions in 2018?

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-46447459

Doesn't look like China is going to be the world's savior. It's almost as though they suckered the world into believing they had peaked emissions in time for Paris before reigniting their energy growth program.

3. Senator

Senator Member

An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind.

It's well accepted that nationalism is a huge problem in meeting climate goals and transitioning away from toxic energy strategies.

The future is renewables, those who adapt the fastest will see the most economic stability going forward. China's use of coal is appalling , no one emits more toxicity into the atmosphere with a bottomline industry is everything approach, but they will have no choice to comply if everyone else rapidly goes towards renewables and consumers make informed decisions.

As America does, the world follows.

Harrisment likes this.
  4. Accord99

Accord99 Member

That's not happening at all, as the difficulty and cost of integrating unreliable electricity generation from wind and solar disrupt the old paradigm of cheap, reliable electricity. Europeans have been more conditioned to accept ruinously expensive energy (though that seems to be changing), but here in Canada, the ruling Liberal Party of Ontario got annihilated in a recent election in part for allowing electricity to peak at 20c/kWh.

Fracking boom then.

5. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This is the worst kind of fear mongering Malthusian nonsense.

The only climate change refugees in this world are the people who had to flee Paris during the riots against the carbon tax.

Space Ghost and Os Trigonum like this.
  6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The bottleneck for renewables is availability. Making solar and wind requires resources (rare earths) and know how that causes long waiting lists even if every major utility wanted to buy one.

Eventually they're as cheap/cheaper than fossil fuel power generation once everything is on the ground and set up, but it's still a work in progress until scaling and tech efficiency catches up.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Nuclear is the road to take - but it's not the cheapest.

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Just curious what you think this cartoon means.

12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

I think it is self explanatory. What part of it do you not understand?

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Humor me.

14. WNBA

WNBA Member

Americans with limited brains found there was one spot on earth at one winter was very cold... wow ...amazing Trump science.

OK. My freezer is definitely freezing. Tell them the global warming never happened, not in my freezer.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Insects are dying off. Amazing how quickly we're killing life on this planet.

Where's the reset button?

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I really thought everyone by now had at least a tiny pebble of knowledge on the subject to no longer make themselves look dumb by saying that cold weather means global warming is a hoax. It appears I was wrong. Embarrassing.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

It is self-explanatory!

So let me help others understand:

It explains how utterly stupid @MojoMan is and how he hilariously celebrates his stupidity.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

This is the reset button.

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ontario screwed that up. But I don't take the lesson that renewables generation isn't reliable enough to work. I think liberals get themselves into trouble when they try to just hit the fast forward button and make renewables happen faster than the energy industry can deliver. Ontario was handing out long-term contracts that quickly fell out of the money as the market continues to mature, leaving ratepayers (because they shut down their competitive retail market years ago) paying for their mistakes. Transforming the energy industry isn't something the government can just mandate. It's too big and too expensive. They need to make the economics work so that the industry will transform itself. That's frustrating for liberals who want a solution to global warming yesterday, and they see they have the command-and-control tools in the regulated utilities. But, if they pull that lever too hard they'll cause an economic crisis that will derail the whole project. Renewables continue to be built. Natural gas CCGTs provide the nimble fossil fuel complement they need. Battery storage is coming on to eventually replace that gas. Grids are getting digitized. These developments need to be nurtured so they can be viable unsubsidized profitable business. I don't think @Senator is right that the first to complete the switch to renewables wins. Rash action is cripplingly expensive. But you do need to move methodically in that direction as quickly as prudence allows.

20. Senator

Senator Member

Of course it will move slow, bureaucracy will ensure that. The COP24 talks were nothing impressive after a lot of aggressive deliberation. But the concept that everyone is entitled to constant growth will lead to economic collapses eventually in a lot of places with poor infrastructure - Indonesia, Africa, etc. They think by pillaging their land's resources to get some more people in the middle class they are winning, but really, with how absurdly unsustainable the revenue streams are, you can see the collapse coming from miles away. The US is protected from that so they'll move as slow as possible, even if 2020 brings about a dem.