1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Mueller, Former F.B.I. Director, Is Named Special Counsel for Russia Investigation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, May 17, 2017.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is like making a statement at 11:59 before a Texans game that starts at 12 noon that the Texans haven't even scored a single touchdown. Everyone knows that once the game actually starts they will likely but not definitely score at least one touchdown.

If everytime a new development happens to provide more evidence that Trump did, in fact, commit the crime of conspiracy to defraud the United States along with plenty of other crimes, you need to tell yourself that he hasn't been found guilty of anything yet, then so be it. It shows a lack of awareness on your part, but I guess do what you have to.

#4741 FranchiseBlade, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    joshuaao, Xenon, mtbrays and 2 others like this.
  2. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

I think he'll survive the next two years...however, his support basically depends on the economy. If it tanks before the next election, Republican holdouts will start leaving him and he may not survive the primary. I don't think he wins reelection anyway as his base isn't big enough at this point.

In the end, I think Trump may end up living abroad after his presidency to avoid going to jail. Who knows, maybe Putin will take him in.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  3. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I could see that happening.

You don't fellate somebody in public as often as the Donald has done with his cuddly comrade and there not be something MORE to their "relationship"...

...it'd serve Melania right, too...not wanting to hold the Donald's hand in public...getting all chummy with the Negro usurper president...getting invited to all the cool presidential social event stuff...

4. adoo

adoo Member

more corroborating evidence as to the accuracy of the Steele dossier, which was the first to link Cohen's interactions w Russian

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Running tally of nowhere to date:
    32 people and 3 entities indicted on hundreds of separate charges
    8 (and if you count Cohen today for the second time, 9) guility pleas,
    1 conviction in 1 trial

Fullcourt likes this.
  6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

40 million in assets seized.

7. adoo

adoo Member

this is too much of a hot potato; it has prompted Trump to cancel his meeting w Putin at the G20 conference at Argentina today​

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Where is @NewRoxFan!? Things are breaking and I'm getting no tweets. I was spoiled.

justtxyank, ryan_98 and mdrowe00 like this.
  9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The investigation paid for itself.

Fullcourt likes this.
  10. larsv8

https://chicago.suntimes.com/busine...-up-burke-no-longer-doing-tax-work-for-trump/

11. Anticope

Anticope Member

Thought I saw him say somewhere he was considering taking a break from posting in here. I don't blame him.

12. larsv8

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He might just by the nature of time it really takes to move through processes in law enforcement & especially with Congress. You are right that his true exposure here would be in probably 3 years when he would be starting the process of potential prosecutions that are set to go to trial.

To that point though, Mueller's speed here (33 people charged in only 18 months) isn't just related to Muellers skill as a prosecutor. It's important to note that his work came on the back end of all the work Comey & the senior FBI officials did for at least two years if not long before Comey was fired. The work of his office & their forward thinking to work with our allies law enforcement to preserve evidence shouldn't go unnoticed. Still... prosecutions this large and expansive take YEARS typically which works to Trumps benefit to finish out his term lame duck with a chance to flee to Russia or somewhere else in Europe where he can operate outside the US & still make money based on his popularity with hard right conspiracy theorist which there are alot of for Trump to retain a customer base to buy his bullcrap.

HOWEVER....I wouldn't underestimate the ability for the Republicans in the Senate to flip overnight on Trump the moment he's not a winning horse they can ride to re-election or massive donations (maybe more important to GOP support). The Senate survived the mid-terms riding Trump in states like Missouri, Indiana etc. which were ruby red states. So they got the returns they needed in 2018, but that could change based on the map. Now that might change if the data shows 2020 attached to Trump's popularity with the electorate in the states they need to win to keep power in the Senate.

Seats up for Re-election that could change over control of the Senate to the Dems-

Arizona - Dems just won the other seat from a Republican
    Colorado - risky
    Georgia - Stacy Abrams barely lost the governorship
    Iowa - Toss up most likely
    Maine - Susan Collins went full Trump with Kavanaugh & voted to repeal the Mandate with the Tax cut
    Kentucky - Mitch McConnells seat - Mitch will win this but Dems will make GOP bleed money to maintain this seat. This is a big seat much like with Beto in Tx this year. Dems can do damage here with the right candidate even if they don't win.
    Montana- Jon Tester just won here, but likely Trump victory
    North Carolina - Toss up
    Alabama - Likely a Trump pickup
    Minnesota- likely Dem
    Michigan- likely Dem
    Virginia- likely Dem
    New Hampshire- likely Dem
    Texas - Cruz only won by a couple points. Much like in 2016, retaining this seat will bleed the GOP of money to retain

The Dems need to win 6 of these 13 seats. That's not unheard of, and there is reason to believe that Mitch McConnell is looking at this map, and knowing that if he drops Trump, he could potentially limit damage in states like AZ,Maine, NA, Minn,Virginia etc. where they could potentially win back the suburban white vote that Trump eroded.

All of that to make the point that because of the makeup of the 2020 Senate election map, I'm not 100% sure that the Senate Republicans don't see what we all see and make the calculated decision to drop Trump and root him out like a Cancer, and then run in 2020 as white knights fighting against corruption.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seems more like the garden variety- Fred Trump style (felony) tax fraud than Russia related.

Man it's really hard to keep track of how big a criminal this Trump dude is though.

It's a real indictment of the DOJ and state and local prosecutors over the past 3 decades that these gangsters have been allowed to do what they did for so long.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Seth Abramson really shouldn't be treated as an authority. He belongs to a group of Twitter theorists who have been promising "SOON" for 2+ years now. They're all sitting in a field waiting on their rapture.

As I've said repeatedly to people like Commodore and pgabs, wait for Mueller's report. Until we see something from that office, we know nothing.

16. larsv8

He isn't treated as an authority, the underlying story is.

I have followed Abramson and he has been pretty spot on in his analysis.

17. dobro1229

Seth A. jumps forward based on circumstantial evidence, but he has been pretty spot on thus far. I don't really like how people treat him as authority, or how he treats himself as a seasoned professional in so many different non-related areas. He has about as much authority as you or me... well me at least.

Also - Mueller doesn't seem to be issuing "A Report" per say. Mueller is already issuing reports through court filings which are telling a story pretty clear about this issue of Trump/Russia collusion. The circumstantial roadmap is already there in plain sight.

In the end it might just be (pretty damning) circumstantial evidence, but its evidence for the American people to do their homework and vote based on how important this is to their faith in our democracy. I'm skeptical that it will be Mueller's role to move on the president in any significant way. He will likely see his role to get as much evidence in the court system as he can based on the facts, and allow Congress to do their job on the politics & the way the country handles punishing the conduct of the presidency. If congress wasn't the broken mechanism it has been the past however many years, then Congress would have already been doing what everyone is expecting Mueller to do in their role of oversight.

But yes.... the longer we can wait for ALL the facts that Mueller has to get filed in the court system, the better conclusions we can make. Of course Seth A. and many of us are jumping ahead of ALL the facts.

mdrowe00 likes this.
  18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Guys who did real estate tax appeals for trump raided, Deutche bank raided, another tax attorney for trump raided...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  19. Papa John

Papa John Member

It's time -
    Mueller for president 2019

20. dobro1229

This is "that part" of the final act of the Scorsese movie. Pesci getting wacked from within to cover the tracks of the "boss" is what is next. Which metaphorically means Trump might soon be selling out his closest warriors to clean up the mess he's in I guess. Or maybe the "boss" is actually Putin, and Putin "wack's" Trump who actually is the Pesci character in this story... metaphorically speaking of course.

we are past this...

[​IMG]

and now we are here....

[​IMG]

#4760 dobro1229, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Rashmon and mdrowe00 like this.