1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Cp wasn’t so greedy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Nov 28, 2018.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

He really shouldn’t if it’s all about making dough, but players that want to get paid supermax need to understand it makes it harder to win supermax

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He was a restricted FA plus not as many teams had max slots. This year he would have had more slots and no restriction + two good years. Its good for the rockets he signed for cheap, but I am always about players making as much as they can.

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm also all for players getting paid. But the only way Capela gets a max would have been to take the QO and become unrestricted next year (which would have cost him at least $12M this year. And even then, there's no guarantee he improves enough to get anyone to risk giving him max money in a league that's no longer center-dominant.

4. Jimmy Chitwood

I don’t think many of you understand that, as president of the NBAPA, CP can’t willingly take a pay cut in contract negotiations. It would send an extremely hipocritical message to everyone he represents. It would be like a coal mining union leader telling all the people he represents to never take less from a company than they’re worth, then doing that exact same thing himself.

Hmc415 and bmelo like this.
  5. Garner

Garner Member

Illusive.

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I didnt say they werent gonna win. Reading is fundamental. I said they cant be serious about winning a chamionship because they gave cp3 so much money that it actually hurt the team. I said that months ago and as you look at our current situation I was correct in that assessment. Who knows they may make some trades and be in it. But as of right now that 40 mil was not a good idea and CP3 must not want to win asking for that much. Morey has a lot of work to do.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

No it wouldnt context is everything.

8. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Of course, this is 100% true, and that's a problem with taking such a role, but backlash will be meh and only last for so long. He should have quit as president last season in preparation, lol

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

why this needs to be reminded over and over is anyone's guess

10. Homey the Clown

Not CP3's fault. He had to do it. I just hate that we're stuck with him and nobody realistically would want him right now. If this team had a full competent roster, we wouldn't feel the burn of CP3 missing games.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Not a reasonable comparison.

1) Coal mine unions - or any similar union - is in the business of guaranteeing a minimum standard of living rather than the difference between 150 and 190 million dollars.

2) In other jobs, there is no salary cap which forcefully restricts other employees from getting the same or more based on what one person gets.

3) In this case, there is only one intended outcome which is to win a championship. If the lead contender has taken pay cuts to win, then you are essentially handicapping yourself by not taking a paycut.

4) Steph Curry and Chris Paul are both members of the NBAPA and they have both lobbied for people to take pay cuts in the interest of winning.

If it is true this is why CP3 had to insist on the max, then his role is in direct conflict with his goal of winning a championship. So if we're saying business is business, then that disadvantage has to cut into his present or future value.

The correct course of action would have been to resign as president of NBAPA. Instead he chose to hamstring the Rockets.

I'm not that mad about it because at the end of the day, he is probably worth $30m when he's healthy. But I don't buy that the aforementioned reason is strong enough to ignore everything else. At the very least, he owes us a buyout candidate because the one he got us fell flat on his face and is not costing us money for nothing. He though CP3 and Me7o would be worth $37m and it's certainly not.

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Not here to argue but would like to ask for a source please?

Jimmy Chitwood likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

For which part?

14. HP3

HP3 Member

Part i quoted, for cp specifically.

Jimmy Chitwood likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't get it. You want me to find you a source showing CP3 is a member of the NBAPA?

16. HP3

HP3 Member

No, I just wanted to know when he advocated for players taking pay cuts for winning?

17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Oh, Melo. Obviously he lobbied for Melo to join this team.

18. HP3

HP3 Member

Uhh, I guess sure. But keep in mind Melo was already getting paid before that, other than that, I have nothing to add.

Hmc415 and Jimmy Chitwood like this.
  19. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I believe that he's asking for a source that says that CP3 lobbied people to take a paycut in the interest of winning.

Jimmy Chitwood, HP3 and Mathloom like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah im wondering this as well because he actually hasn't and this says differently

https://sports.yahoo.com/just-reminder-chris-paul-not-175626286.html

As president of the NBA Players’ Union, Chris Paul has advised and pushed players such as Giannis Antetokounmpo not to take less than the max. He and LeBron James have told players that the owners make plenty of money on these teams, don’t cut them a break by taking less than the maximum a player is worth.

Jimmy Chitwood and HP3 like this.