1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fixing this mess of a roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 25, 2018.

1. tc0330

tc0330 Member

not impossible with a 3rd team involved
    i didnt say it would be easy lol

2. tc0330

tc0330 Member

or we just keep EG and trade knight/others/pick for otto only.

3. mightybosstone

Maybe not impossible, but highly, highly unlikely. You would have to get a third team involved, and that third team would have to have assets the Wizards actually covet and not just huge contracts. And then the Rockets would have to give up enough assets to make that third team want to give up those quality assets—assets Morey frankly just doesn't have. Also, on top of that, you're talking about increasing this team's payroll to a level no NBA team has ever reached in NBA history and a luxury tax bill that would make even the richest NBA owner crawl up into a ball under their desks and cry.

So, impossible, I guess technically not. But even calling it a pipe dream would be generous. Honestly, the idea that the Rockets could even get one of those guys is probably wishful thinking, much less both. I'm all for improving this roster, but let's be realistic here.

tc0330 likes this.
  4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that either team would do this, but I'd be open to CP3+EG for Beal+Porter.

Wizards don't need Wall and CP3 obviously. You'd have to get a third team involved.

Rockets won't "pull the plug" like that. I'd rather have the healthy CP3. But I am not very optimistic about CP3 over the next 4 years staying healthy.

When I say staying healthy, just consider how frequently he has some kind of nagging injury. Then think about the playoffs. Can you stomach him missing a game or two in round 1? Round 2? Maybe. Definitely not past that, and even in round 2, as this regular season shows, that'd be VERY HARD.

In the absolute best case scenario, the playoffs is 16 games. He's not going to make that staying healthy. He only had 1 stretch last year playing 16 or more games in a row... including the playoffs. He's missed playoff games in 3 of his last 4 playoffs. Plus the Rockets aren't sweeping their way through the playoffs, lol.

I'm not a trade machine "wizard" (pun intended). And it won't happen anyway, so who cares. But maybe once the inevitable Pistons collapse happens, some kind of three team deal where the Rockets move some combo of CP3/Gordon/Knight/Picks/Tucker/Filler and end up with some combination of Blake Griffin/Beal/Porter/Reggie Jackson.

Or maybe something with the Suns, where the Suns end up with John Wall, the Wizards end up with CP3, EG, and the Rockets end up with Bradley Beal and TJ Warren... somehow.

Kind of radical... just spitballing. Still roster holes.

6. Jump Ship

Jump Ship Member

If nothing else opens up:

Paul/Lin or Adams
    Harden/Gordon
    Ennis/Clark
    Love/Melo
    Capela/Hart

Trade for Love. Try to sign Darius Adams and/or trade for Lin. You do whatever it takes to convince Melo to give it another shot and run with these 10-11 guys.

Or logically you begin the rebuild. I dont see many teams dumping players this season.

jb86 likes this.
  7. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Here’s another option DD...

And I mean this in all seriousness.

We hover at 0.500. Give more minutes to Zhao Qi to develop. He could be a game changer with his D and length and the occasional 3. The ultimate wild card.

But with so much going wrong this year with supposedly nba players sitting on the pine. Why not give zhao more minutes the way Dantoni gave Lin minutes in ny?

Sage

riko, whiskeyred and DaDakota like this.
  8. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

I gotta agree with you, DD. Should have kept Luc, too.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

:cool: Noted! Thanks for stopping in @ch44

You are always welcome!

whiskeyred likes this.
  10. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

In:
    Ennis/Melo/Knight/Chriss/MCW/Hartenstein/Clark/House/Edwards/Qi

Out:
    Ariza/LMAM/Anderson

Core:
    CP3/Harden/Gordon/Tucker/Capela/Green/Nene

Injuries have kept us out of contention this season. We are finally getting back to full strength, but CP3 has to take off nights now for health management.

What I understand is that people are freaking out about us being out of the playoff picture ATM...in late NOVEMBER.

They are freaking out about how Ariza and LMAM would have kept us at the top of the West, regardless of the gameplay of the CORE of the Rockets (minus Nene) because they are the 3rd and 4th All-Stars that we always needed.

IDIOT post here; Daryl Morey is smarter than all of you whiners. He's the guy that's telling you to put your money in your 401k so you can be better off in retirement, but instead you go and blow your tax return on the down payment of a new Chevy Camaro. Enjoy!

And since he's been the GM, not saying he's perfect, but the closest to a Kelvin Cato contract we had was Luis Scola and Ryan Anderson. @heypartner and @tinman can regale you with tales of Carol Dawson who brought in Kelvin Cato, Maurice Taylor, resigned Moochie Norris, and spent big money on players that made no impact for us.

And DM the GM got out of those deals as soon as hey could. He's not disrupting the CORE of this team unless he's got a new core piece. Melo was going to be on the bench with that salary, and that's what he's been doing, shuffling the bench to bide the milestone of the season, DEC 15 through All-Star Break.

That's when the season signing/trades will really get interesting. THAT's when the Rockets get value.

bratna8 likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Start with signing Texas Beast Quincy Acy.

Drop that fairy MCW.

I want to see some elbows thrown and some toughness out there. We gotta stop playing like p*****s. PJ Tucker/Quincy Acy bash bros... :eek: Let’s get in some fights and start kicking some ass. Gotta mix some strength with our skill. Need more girth, aka bigger cocks.

Also, cut Zhou Qi and bring back Joey Dorsey. He will bring up our average. ;)

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

Effectively the current Rockets have no bench; I don't see an easy fix for this. Actually I don't see a fix of any kind. Morey makes big bucks, he has to figure it out.

13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We need a Robert Horry like the one drafted by Steve Patterson

14. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

15. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

Lol, he was literally on a different team for every highlight. I like his style though. My only worry would be his shooting ability, and how good he currently is, since some of those highlight are from 6+ years ago. Still, that's the body type that is so highly sought after now days...

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Also, why is the thread title "Fixing this mess of a roster" if you're not going to make a single suggestion as to how it can be done?

heypartner and kjayp like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yeah, if there was any downside to the CP3 trade, it's that it left us with nothing of much value to offer Minny. Setting Butler's numbers aside, his attitude is desperately needed on this team. Butler plays like he's hungry.

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh, NOW you wanna be logical. :D

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

All we need is Dmo

20. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Imagining pinning your season's hope to contend on.....

[​IMG]