1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you consider trading CP3?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Nov 27, 2018.

?

Should the Rockets consider trading CP3?

1. Yes

133 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. No

93 vote(s)
    41.2%
  1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Which is why that was way too much to pay in the first place. That and...age.

Blackballed after forking up $40M a year??? Doubtful.

You'd get a good player on the outs with their team (Wall?), and a really bad contract along with it.

2. Exiled

Exiled Member

of course I would in a blink of an eye,but is he tradable? theoretically, we then can afford not just one R.Anderson but TWO Rayno

3. ilias

ilias Member

If we continue like that at around 0.500 with Paul missing one in four games, I would consider trading him for Wall. It's not just Paul's age, but also his health and availability for the playoffs. A trade for Wall would extend whatever window we have for a couple of years. Not sure the Wizards do that though without any other assets attached.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  4. macan

macan Member

i would hold on to CP for this year and see what he brings in the playoffs..if we can't get to west finals then yes i would trade his arse next year

5. rammo

rammo Member

“I” wouldn’t, no.

Neither will Morey.

So.... now what?

6. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Wtf? No. CP3 brings out the best of Harden as a ball handler, is clutch, and is a great leader. We’re not the Wizards who are hamstrung by a group of guys that are borderline All-Stars. We have an MVP candidate, you don’t blow it up because there’s no way you’re going to get fair compensation and we still won’t be able to sign an equally talented FA with Capela & Harden on the books.

7. PWR

PWR Member

Rockets get:
    John Wall
    Markieff Morris
    Otto Porter Jr.
    Tomas Satoransky

Wizards get:
    Chris Paul
    Carmelo Anthony
    PJ Tucker
    Brandon Knight
    Marquese Chriss
    1st round pick

Rockets roll with...
    Wall
    Harden
    Porter
    Morris
    Capela

Gordon
    Satoransky
    Ennis
    Clark
    Green
    Nick Young (sign him)

Im just playing around, but this could be good for both teams.

8. Huricane

Huricane Contributing Member

I would have offered up Chris Paul in a heartbeat for Kawhi Leonard.
    I also would have also offered up Eric Gordon plus whatever the Minnesota Timberwolves wanted in a heartbeat for Jimmy Butler

Those are no brainer movers.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I just wonder if the Rockets had decided to go in a different direction this off-season and not offer CP3 that contract who would have?

If those teams even exist than they are the ones Morey needs to keep on speed dial.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

lol 3rd in the east, big stuff
    they are one embiied injury away for sucking again for a several years
    we only 4 games behind 1st seed in the west and these are meaningless november games anyway...you dont get awarded title for winning games in november

HP3 likes this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

yeah and we are 1 Chris Paul injury away from a lottery team. going 0-3 against power houses like Cavs and Wizards lol

12. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If it looks like a lost season, I could see CP3 being open to a trade to a contender or semi-contender like the Lakers.

J Sizzle likes this.
  13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

no way, CP's chemistry/personality with harden alone is why we dont/cant trade him. you cant buy that "bond" with any other trade. finding two elites that work TOGETHER is extra hard to find and easily takes time to make it happen. we just have to make it work.

jcf likes this.
  14. tc0330

tc0330 Member

and ill say this again...

dont blame our stars when our supporting players arent supporting.

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Trade 4 draft picks + CP3 for the next Lebron from Duke University.

Seriously, 2 games we lost because the other team got timely baskets. We could of been 2-1 on the road trip.

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don't see how the answer to this question can possible be no.

Who wouldn't CONSIDER trading CP3?

They had their best regular season ever last year?!? And only if he stayed healthy they would have won a ring?!?! Only.... GSW sure do seem to think that only if Iggy was healthy they would have taken care of the Rockets in 5 or 6. Who know?

What I do know is that CP3 has played one stretch of 22 straight games with the Rockets. Otherwise he's not played more than 15 games in a stretch. I know he's been injured in 3 of the last 4 playoffs, and in the one he wasn't, it was just 7 games. I know he's aging, gets lots of nagging injuries, and is going to get $40+ million this year, next year, the next year AND the next year.

IMO, the reason why you sign CP3 last off-season was to maintain the ability to potentially trade him, if needed.

Part of the "problem" is to get great value for CP3, he needs to come back and play, and play decently well. ANd when that happens, the Rockets "probably" start playing great again. And then everyone will be back to the "what's the record when Harden+CP3+Capela?" play positives, and "how high of a seed can we realistically get?" positives, and "how do we move Knight for a legit real player??" positives.

Forgetting the high likelihood he will miss time in the playoffs, again.

Of course, it depends on what you get back. Who would want CP3 at this age with this contract? Wizards, Suns, Pistons, Magic, Pelicans??? Maybe the Lakers and Knicks but not sure they'd want to ruin potential cap space.

To me, it's less about the record in a very small sample size - though its clearly informative - and more about the key issue that the guy just can't go long stretches without getting a nagging injury, and that will basically DESTROY the team in the playoffs. Margin for error is too thin. It was too think last year, clearly. It's way too thin this year.

Bear in mind the GSW, with a gazillion all-stars, have "struggled" with health issues. In the hyper-competitive NBA, availability is SO SO important.

Can't build rosters in a vacuum in the NBA. There's a cap and rules.

How do you propose getting a better supporting cast within the confines of the salary cap rules?

Corrosion, payaso and 1Deep like this.
  17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Even when the stars are having down years?

Teams win based on stars, not role players.

18. tc0330

tc0330 Member

CP has barely regressed this year. and idk how tf .441 FG%, .378 3P%, .488 2P%, 18pts/gm, 7.7 ast/gm is considered a "down" year.

teams also win based on team play aka role players.

clutchdabear likes this.
  19. bratna8

bratna8 Member

There are pieces to move before we look at moving CP3.

With Harden, CP3 and Capella, we are elite and 1 of the top 4 teams in the league.

We just need Morey to do his thing.

clutchdabear, JoeBarelyCares and xaos like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

they are coasting... harden alone, when serious, if needs be, will lead a bunch of clutchans to 50 wins..harden alone is better than all the 'stars' sixers got

clutchdabear and jcf like this.