1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

are those Rudy's canines?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Achebe, Apr 19, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

In yesterday's chat w/ the esteemed fraud Dr. Jack Ramsay, 'Jack' fielded a question regarding the zone:

Why do you think some many people involved in the NBA are split in regards to thinking the new zone rules help or hurt the game? Fred Carter even said it will "kill the NBA"!

To which Fire Marshall Bill responded:

Many players and coaches...and media types...assume teams will play zone defense. I don't think it will happen. They will play a more complete game...with better ball and player movement and at a quicker pace. Those are all good qualities as I see it.

Again: I don't think it will happen.

Does anyone doubt for a moment, that Rudy isn't looking at these new rules as a definitive guideline? I'm sure he'll weigh his options appropriately against his talent, but I suggest that w/ the athleticism of Cato, Mobley, Francis, perhaps Shandon and Mo (FAs), Rudy will be one of coaches most apt to throw in a zone periodically.

The zone is certainly not to be used in every situation, but don't doubt for a moment that Rudy hasn't already regrouped from its legalization. This isn't a moral issue or anything, Rudy will have the zone in his arsenal... and kill teams w/ it.

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can't help but see the total denial in those statements.

Dr. Jack says, "It was not the intention of the rules committees to encourage zone defense."

That's equivalent to saying, "It was not the intention of the illegal defense rule to encourage isolations." so, don't worry...isolations will never happen a lot.

sheesh.

Of course zones will happen a lot. There will be teams that run zone the entire 4th quarter...you can count on that.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

Why exactly does he think the game will change (as far as movement and ballhandling are concerned) if teams aren't going to be playing zone? That would just leave us in the same situation.

------------------

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Rockets should play zone the entire game. Their team defense has sucked ever since Barkley arrived.

------------------
    "It's like saying there isn't enough offense in football, so let's go to three downs." --Rudy T on zone defenses in the NBA