1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Going to Heat????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sphere, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Sphere

Sphere Member

I've got some inside information that Hakeem could have a 3 year deal on the table with the Miami Heat!! Whatta think??
    Oh yeah, The Rockets want Webber bad!!
    Any takers for Cato????

------------------

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

illegal!

Miami is in the playoffs...there is nothing on the table, and if Miami even thinks about talking to one of our free agents, that is very illegal.

3. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Wouldn't Zo's status determine whether or not Dream would sign with the Heat? Earlier in the year when all of the speculation was circling, the Heat were a team designed for a Center, but didn't have one. So it seemed natural that Dream could step in and make them a better team. But, now that Zo is back, would Dream's willingness to sign with them depend on Zo?
    Also, what does their cxap space look like? If he has to take small $$, why not stay in Houston?

------------------
    Kenny Thomas had a foul called on him in the Western Conference Finals.

4. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't know. You can never trust a free agent's remarks, but the Chronicle ran a story two weeks ago (or so) posting Hakeem's comments about wanting to be on the Rockets next year....and Rudy and CD saying, "Whoa, boy, we'll cross that bridge when the time comes." Translation: We'll sign you, but let us get other work done first; we've got big game to hunt.

If Hakeem was hedging his bets, he would've tempered his remarks somewhat.

------------------

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Everyone in the NBA wants Webber except for Minnesota, San Antonio, and Portland.

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.

6. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

My memory is a little faint on this, but I seem to recall that at the height of Hakeem's displeasure with lack of PT Pat Riley told the press that the Heat were leaning towards "someone younger" to fill their needs when asked about interest in Dream.

I don't think Dream would like the tougher practices Riley is famous for.

------------------
    GATER

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited April 15, 2001).]

7. Sphere

Sphere Member

Well all I know is from what I've heard, there could be a three year deal on the table with Hakeem going to the Heat. And you are right, that would be illegal for a team to talk to a player while he is alreay on another teams roster during the season. But this is the NBA and anything is possible. Illegal and the NBA go hand in hand. Webber really like the backcourt of Francis and Mobley, but everyone will be courting him so we'll have to see. I know one thing for sure, Tuedays game will be the last time you see Cato in a Rockets uniform.

------------------

8. Johnny Rocket

Johnny Rocket Contributing Member

Sorry but I have a little trouble believing some newbie with 9 posts under his belt. Now if he said he was hanging out in the mall and heard CD memtion this to Rudy I would believe it then.

------------------
    ~John~
    Help keep the obsessed thread alive post the reasons why you are an obsessed Rockets fan by clicking here

9. Sphere

Sphere Member

Well I can't say what my affiliation with the Rockets is, but I do have one.
    Just because I don't post often doesn't mean I don't know anything.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Sphere (edited April 15, 2001).]

10. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I don't think Dream is planning on playing two more years let alone three, but who knows. Also with Dream playing well he knows that he can help this team do great things next year and that we need him, so the situation earlier in the season and the situation now aren't the same. He even said that playing has become fun again. Also I don't think he wants to leave Houston (the city or team.)

------------------

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I've got some inside information that Hakeem could have a 3 year deal on the table with the Miami Heat!! Whatta think??

Miami won't have any cap space to work with since Jones, Grant and 'Zo will total about 39 million in salary for next season. Add in other contracts and they are over the cap. Whatever the 3 year deal is, it can't be anything more spectacular than what the Rockets could do. We have already been through various sign-n-trade scenarios for Dream to Miami and none really make sense. It is very hard to imagine that the Rockets & Heat would already have a third team lined up to pull off a big trade this summer. Would Dream settle for middle of the road money and change teams? Maybe......maybe not.

Oh yeah, The Rockets want Webber bad!!

This has already been well examined by others.

Any takers for Cato????

If you really have some inside stroke, why are you asking John Q. Public that?

Well I can't say what my affiliation with the Rockets is, but I do have one.

Last spring, too much inside info was a problem on this BBS. I am guessing that the Rockets tightened up their standards on information leakage such as what you are posting. If they didn't, then shame on them. If they did tighten and you are thumbing your nose at the standards, then shame on you.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.

12. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

Are you the peanut vendor? [​IMG]

------------------

13. davo

davo Contributing Member

I sincerely doubt Hakeem would consider playing for the Heat behind Alonzo. The only reason he talked about leaving the Rockets was becuase he wanted to be "the man" more. That aint going to happen in Miami.

Hey give Sphere a chance. You just never know.... Sphere - the scepticism is understandable - seems like every second week someone comes in claiming inside info. Why don't you give us something that will prove your "affiliation"

------------------
    ..as a man danced so the drums were beaten for him.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

"ICE COLD BEEEER HERE!"

------------------
    There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

15. unt2003

unt2003 Member

Inside information? Yeah, right!!!! Ya'll are getting way to exciting with this Webber deal. We need to calm down and see what happens. Just relax, take a deep breath and FREAKIN CALM DOWN!!!!

------------------

16. Sphere

Sphere Member

Well I can't tell if you Webber is coming here, but as he has stated, he like it here. Then again, it's not secret the Rockets want him.
    As far as Hakeem and the Heat is concerned, someone that works deep within the offices of the Houston Rockets mentioned to me one night that "Miami has a 3 year deal on the table with Hakeem."
    Now if that is bogus information from him, then so be it. I don't work for the Houston Rockets, just with them on a freelance basis.

------------------

17. RocketsFanFromLa

Does anyone thinks that Hakeem can actualy play for 3 more years. Please Hakeem, call it a career, you already won two rings and is considered one of the best centers in NBA history. While you are at it, take Patrick Ewing with you. He's makng a fool out of himself in Seattle.

------------------

Really a member since
    March 1999.

18. Sphere

Sphere Member

I agree, I think Hakeem has done everything. He's a champion twice, league MVP, All-Start numerous times, Gold Medalist, Block-Shot Leader, Hall-Of-Famer and top 50 All-Time player. What more does he have to do? Go out while you still have some dignity left Hakeem. Let the Rockets continue their rebuilding for the future. Call it a beautiful and successful NBA career Dream!!

------------------

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Know anything about the draft or Webber coming here?

------------------
    President of the Steve Francis, Jamal Crawford,Larry Hughes, and Charles Woodson fan club.