1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Portland want to trade Rasheed Wallace.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by reptilexcq, Jan 16, 2004.

1. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

We need to wait and add Wallace to our big man rotation of Yao, Cato, and MoT. Wallace plus those 3 would give us the best talent at the power positions in the whole league.

I hope we can sign Wallace for the MLE and then have the TE to get another quality passer/shooter/defender aka Brent Barry, Jiri Welsch, etc.

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

only problem I have with SAR is that he's not known for his defense. Rasheed's supposed to be a good defender and is also good for a block or two a game. Offensively, SAR would be a great fit, but Mo Taylor isn't so bad either. To me, the appeal of Rasheed is his ability (hopefully) to contribute on both ends of the court.

Maybe we can get Rasheed for Eddie Griffin and Glen Rice. ;)

#42 Relativist, Jan 17, 2004
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2004
  3. Strathead

Strathead Member

Guys, SAR is damn good. The guy is one of the most skilled, durable, consistent PF in the league. He's also a perfect citizen who gives alot to the community. He's not going to throw a fu*ked up comment or gun shot incident on you...nor will he make fun of his own teammate during practice. I've been following him since his rookie year in Vancouver. The Rox could really use him and also save him from the years of below 500 ball. He desprately needs to breakout with a firm system and the right players. Sheed could only score by using fade aways and jumpers. The guy has very limited post moves and horrible dribbling skill. SAR on the hand is much more versatile around the post. His spin moves and hook shots are plain sick and he draws alot of fouls with great career FT%. The downside of SAR is that he's not a great passer. His defensive intensity can be questionable at times and he's not a clutch player. I believe his weaknesses could be covered if he's playing with a sound team defense(JVG) and franchise type teammates that could takeover games down the stretch(Francis, Cat, Yao). To summerize SAR is a much better fit for the ROX than Sheed, period.

4. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I feel like a stuck record saying this, but do not underestimate Wallace's skills. He has many factors that would stop a team from signing him (lack of work ethic, attitude on the court, his mouth), but he is the most talented power forward in the league. The shame is, he just doesn't seem to want it enough.

5. Charvo

Charvo Member

IF Wallace is motivated and fired up to play on a team, he is a powerful player. I remember when he was the guy who carried the Blazers in that great playoff series against the Lakers. With that being said, I do think he'll enjoy playing with pal Cuttino.

6. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

That actually concerns me. I think Sheed will affect Cat and the team more than Cat and the team will affect Sheed. But the relationships (with Cat, JVG) are key. They determine whether Rasheed buys into the system and becomes motivated to play or whether he just goofs around and parties with his pals off the court.

7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I think it was Eddie/Rice for SAR straight up, I also heard that Seattle offered R. Lewis for Eddie straight up. Both of those players would make us instant contenders, oh well, can't cry over spilt milk.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SAR could also play the 3. We could use him at the spot we need him most, and still go after another strong starting forward.

We could trade say, Cat + the exception for SAR. 5+7 = 12. That could help Atlanta. In a year and a 1/2, his contract is up, and we could resign him for less money. He'd have an incentive to prove himself for the term.

I'd also try to trade Cato and Taylor, of course, plus Pike, Boki, or whatever spare parts for a starting forward. If I couldn't get one that way, well, leave Taylor unprotected for the expansion draft, carry 10 players, and move to plan C...

Plan C : If Steve earns an exit, I'd trade him, too; after his BYC dies July 1. I'd gladly swap that "allstar" point guard for a not-quite allstar forward with the skills we need, OR a replacement guard with exceptional passing, shooting and smarts.

Cat and Steve's game is obsolete. Let them follow Moochie out the door.