1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hopefully Benny's persistence to beat the shift was well noticed... he's going to keep doing it if its an RBI situation.

2. Buck Turgidson

They had the middle IF positioned for the DP, as they should have been. The "wild pitch" was the killer that inning, and speaking of I am not at all impressed with Maldonado behind the plate. If he's not throwing lasers to nail runners he's not really that good.

ETA: I misremembered the series of events that inning. You nailed it.

#462 Buck Turgidson, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Didnt he get an extension this year?

4. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

To Me Ryan Presley or Lance McCullers Jr in the 6th, Josh James in the 7th, Hector Rondon 8th, Roberto Osuna 9th
    Josh James in the 7th Inning is very critical for the Postseason Level of Pitching. Josh is not ready to Start in MLB,
    when I saw him pitch as a Starter. The only thing in my mind was damn he can be a Huge Setup Man in the 7th.
    Very Glad it Came True. We Need Bullpen Power Pitchers in 6,7,8,9 innings of the Game. Credit goes to Hinch, Brent Strom, Jeff Luhnow in believing in Josh James. Pressly, James, Osuna are Great Additions, will be the main reason to win close games.

everyday eddie and Malaya like this.
  5. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

Cool story bro!

6. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

The walk was the at bat where osuna really messed up along with the wild pitch. Allowing that runner to reach base brings the tying run to the plate which is the outcome you really want to avoid there. Goal should be to avoid facing jd Martinez at all costs there.

You need to make the hitter beat you there and trust your defense and throw strikes. Most of the balls missed so badly on the walk that the odds of betts chasing were low. I think he may have been rattled from the lucky bloop hit on the walk to betts.

That said, the sequence of pitches to jd Martinez was very well executed.

Bigger story in our bullpen right now than osuna in my opinion is smiths resurgence, presslys great start and dare I say mr. James now?!?

Osuna in my opinion has allowed way too many base runners since joining the team. That high WHIP will burn you sooner or later.

Has osuna truly been that much of an upgrade to rondon?

7. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

This has been an eminently enjoyable series so far. :cool:

mikol13 and whiskeyred like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

His WHIP as an Astro is under 1.00.

9. SemisolidSnake

I've been having the same thoughts throughout this series. I think about 6 or 7 years ago, we went to a game vs. the Red Sox. Still in the NL at the time, so it was a rarity. Astros actually had a pretty decent lead until the 7th inning, but they were terrible at the time, so the Red Sox eventually broke it open in the 7th and ended up easily winning.

What I remember most was cheers for the Red Sox just completely filling Minute Maid Park. I was sure I was in the minority as an Astros fan at that game. It was ugly and sad. Seeing all that orange at Fenway this weekend and even hearing chants of "Let's Go Astros" is the just most amazing turnaround from my experience.

rockets1995 likes this.
  10. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

I agree, I trust Rondon more than Osuna at this point.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Heard on the radio broadcast today that the team is blown away by his preparation and attention to detail.

No doubt he was damn good today.

#471 mikol13, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  12. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

The final 3 weeks of the season is going to be interesting if the Red Sox bullpen continues it's meteoric fall they've had over they've been experiencing the past month. They've gone from a top 3 ERA bullpen, to a top 20 ERA bullpen.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Strange.

Even this game where he let guys get on, he didn’t make any mistakes in the zone.

Rondon does make mistakes in the zone. Mistakes that get hammered. Mistakes that have blown saves.

He’s still a very effective late inning bullpen guy, and has certainly exceeded expectations and production since the Astros got him... but Osuna is better.

The heads up fully aware of this too, hence why he was elevated back to closer very quickly, despite Rondon not really having done much to lose the job.

Amshirvani, crose and swoosh1014 like this.
  14. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

Another shout out to the Astros fans I could clearly hear and see on the TV. You guys rocked

#474 SLRokJok, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    jsingles likes this.
  15. Play07

Play07 Member

Ok it’s time, seems to be getting hot again going into October!!!

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Won 14/17

They are hot.

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

I don’t know but I hope so. :)

18. HTown2017Champs

Okay, so I've been somewhat busy and not active as often. Sorry, just been SO sick and tired of games all season long where one of our starters does well but does not get the win. I feel JV, Cole, and Morton should be each having 22+ win seasons this year. Obviously wins are wins, I just really wish our starters had more, I think they've definitely pitched well enough to earn them. Sorry, I was just venting. Also upset BTW with the Texans cutting Lechler (he deserves ONE more chance at a ring), but that's irrelevant.

Gerrit Cole for Cy Young, 2019!

19. HTown2017Champs

Looks like Gurriel is our new cleanup hitter. White bats seventh and DH's, meaning Gattis has sat out this entire series. On the Red Sox side, Phillips starts at third base. Returned to MLB during their Atlanta series. He wears #0, the first player in Red Sox history to ever do so.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Two of Four wins is wack unless one was the Texans.

Solution: Stros must sweep