1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How can China, India, Russia and the US reduce CO2 emissions?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Senator, Jul 27, 2018.

1. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

Germany is a highly developed social market economy. It has the largest national economy in Europe, the fourth-largest by nominalGDP in the world, and fifth by GDP

2. Senator

Senator Member

They are merely a drop in the ocean of dirty air polluters.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.carbonbrief.org/guest-post-why-indias-co2-emissions-grew-strongly-in-2017

Can you project Germany's methods to a place like Japan with no free land? With Europe's flawless infrastructure , can you do it in China?

Can you use it in a third world country like India with billions of people? They are going all in on coal:

[​IMG]

Can you store energy generated by wind farms in Russia and export them?

I need solutions.

B-Bob likes this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not efficiently. Power is lost in transmission.

Solar and Wind do not provide enough energy. So the alternative is nuclear.

adoo likes this.
  4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not fossil fuels, but do retail energy - no generation, we do trading and solutions. I do think shifting from coal to gas will curb emissions, but do see renewables plus batteries (looming pollution problem coming with battery manufacture though) as the ultimate destination. I'm not a fan of nuclear. One, still no solution in US for nuclear waste. Two, doesn't fit well in a distributed gen infrastructure. The latter also applies to biofuels. As for China, don't know, but they are going in big on solar capabilities and I think they plan to transition out of their reliance of fossil fuels over time.

B-Bob likes this.
  5. Accord99

Accord99 Member

Not really. Coal has resumed significant growth over the last two years.

https://chinaenergyportal.org/en/category/stats/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They've also capped utility solar additions for the year, because subsidies for solar electricity has gotten too expensive.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/arti...-solar-policy-could-cut-capacity-20-gigawatts

It's possible that China follows Western Europe on solar, boom then bust.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

They're both true, really, in my view. They have significant need for immediate increases in electricity production to keep up with their economic expansion, so sure you're going to see growth there (especially when you show supply instead of capacity because coal is baseload and renewables have much lower capacity factors). It ain't some kind of environmentalist's paradise where they're only going to build the next-gen solar-based energy infrastructure. But they have been nurturing and subsidizing the solar PV industry so they can have the dominant global position. I expect them to keep adding each year to use that capability, and they may later start backing off of coal when their need for capacity feels less urgent. Changing the industry will be a generational thing in China or here in the US.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. dmoneybangbang

China has to move away from coal long term since it’s so polluting. I’m sure coal will drop and rise in the near term but long term.... the world will move away.

8. dmoneybangbang

This. China is looking at this short term and long term. They are investing renewables because it’s the future and taking advantage of cheap coal in the short term.