1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

FiveThirtyEight: The Good, The Bad And The WTF Of NBA Free Agency

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigBum, Jul 26, 2018.

1. BigBum

BigBum Member

Losers
    Portland Trail Blazers
    Similar to how the Raptors needed a shakeup after multiple seasons fizzled out in a similar manner, the Blazers seemingly needed one in 2017-18, too. Even after realizing they couldn’t go about things the exact same way and altering a handful of schematic details, those fixes weren’t nearly enough, and the club got swept in the first round by Anthony Davis and the Pelicans.
    Houston Rockets
    The Rockets were close enough that you could almost understand bringing back the same team to try again. But instead, Houston lost starting forward Trevor Ariza right out of the gate (granted, for big money at $15 million this season with a young Phoenix team).Then Luc Mbah a Moute followed suit, rejoining the Clippers about a week later for just one year and $4.3 million. Both were enormous contributors to the Rockets’ vast defensive improvement, and they played key roles in the team’s switch-everything scheme, a must-have against a club like Golden State, which screens away from the ball so well.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-good-the-bad-and-the-wtf-of-nba-free-agency/

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

No Fat Mellon mention?

Thought this was the Mello forum.

clutchdabear and jamisonrocket like this.
  3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

clutchdabear likes this.
  4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

No mention of James Ennis replacing Moute, leaving Ariza as the hole we have to fill (and barely acknowledging that you never match Ariza for $15M at this point). Melo adds yet another top level offensive weapon that we didn't have last season, and we still have some MLE money to go after another defensive 2/3/4. Finally, no mention of the Capela situation which, depending on the outcome, could really swing the grade on this offseason.

Overall: lame.

5. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

I love Luc but he was non existent and hurting the team when he played in the playoffs with his 2nd dislocated shoulder. We still were 1 half and hamstring away from winning the ship. I think everyone is overrating Luc a bit. He was solid for us in the regular season but I don't think his loss was as much as people make it out to be like in this article. Ariza of course been with us for a while and it sort of sucks he left but the loss shouldn't be as bad as people make it out to be IMO.

We'll still win 55+ wins and be at least 2nd in the West barring injuries.

6. titobrown

titobrown Member

Does anybody feel like the media never gave Luc credit when we had him and now that he is gone they are trying to make it sound like a huge loss? I agree that he was a solid player for us during the regular season, but he can be replaced. By signing ennis, I do not think people should make such a deal about this

AXG, Dave2000, SWTsig and 12 others like this.
  7. titobrown

titobrown Member

HAHA RT

8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS
    he was hardly ever mentioned when ppl cried about igoudala injury

titobrown, Mazulis, Hui and 7 others like this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

My worry, and it was a worry before we lost him, was that I never heard a word about what was done to "fix" that shoulder. Zero. Nada. Nothing. Did I miss it? I've seen others mention that shoulder, wondering what the deal was with the damn thing. Those of us who have followed the Rockets a long time still remember Carl Herrera and his freakin' shoulder. He was never the same after the injury, because it kept cropping up again. It will be interesting to see how Luc fairs with it this season. Maybe he'll be lucky, maybe no. Time reveals all.

douglasreedy1 and Plowman like this.
  10. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

538 is a site designed to sell you the same old subjective sports punditry based on a tangential reputation for quantitative analysis. Next.

Deckard, NIKEstrad, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

58644184.jpg

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Fake sports news. It's like all these outlets pass around the same punch card. 14-1 without Ariza. Moute has no heart. PJ Tucker and Cap were our best defenders and they're still here. Defense will be fine it's a dumb narrative.

douglasreedy1 and hakeem94 like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

media conspiracy?

14. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Free agency is already over? Season starts tomorrow?! Sweet.

douglasreedy1 likes this.
  15. topfive

topfive CF OG

"while there’s a chance Anthony plays far better with the Rockets than he did in a down year with Oklahoma City, it’s hard to see him being much better than either of the two aforementioned wing players"

Seriously? That's the most ludicrous thing I've heard this summer.

So our three big "mistakes" of the off-season, according to the article, are:

1. Letting Ariza walk.
    2. Letting Luc walk.
    3. Signing Carmelo.

WOW.

1. Ariza signed before even talking to us, for an amount we wouldn't have given him anyway. We had ZERO chance of re-signing him once Phoenix made an offer like that for someone of Trevor's age and diminishing skillset.

2. Luc is quite likely damanged goods. A recurring injury at an age where those things don't seem to heal easily or completely (for pro athletes). Again, age and diminishing skillset. Not worth the risk of having him sitting on the bench or playing tentatively at critical times.

3. FFS.

steddinotayto likes this.
  16. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Sucks to lose Trevor mainly for his locker room presence IMO. But like y’all mentioned, 15M a year?! Not gonna be able to do it!

Meanwhile Luc’s shoulder is problematic and not worth the risk. Might as well get younger. Prince Luc was awesome though last year, wish he had remained healthy.

Right now we’re a good 3&D wing away from that GSW crushing form we had last year. Morey’s got a lot of time though, I’m not too worried yet.

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agree. Really want to like that website. But every time I read an article, I remember why I don't.

18. Why not?

Why not? Member

I mean, I like some of the things we've done but losing Ariza doesn't make sense. Ennis is going to be better than a lot of the talking heads expect though.

The number Ariza is being paid only affects the luxury tax. We're going to be over (likely) anyway, so I don't understand why we wouldn't go up to whatever Phoenix was offering.

We didn't have rights on Moute because of the contract he signed, so we could only offer him another minimum deal or money from the MLE.

19. andersongo

andersongo Member

The good: Paul George resigning with the Thunder to play along a PG with whom he had his best year on both sides of the court.
    The Bad: Clippers giving Tobias Harris an 80 million contract
    The WTF: Tobias Harris refusing an 80 million contract

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Does Luc even have shoulders anymore?

steddinotayto likes this.