1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Ryan Bernardoni] Kings could be setting up to take Ryan Anderson

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Jul 18, 2018.

1. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

I hope this exchange can enhance our power forward. There are few good power forward in nba. We can ask Harrell to joim back Houston too. At least we need to find a great power foward who can beat green with all star level

2. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Ryan Anderson and a first for Ariza in December. Book it

BMoney and smoothie like this.
  3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

everything for the Rockets is "could be" lol

Sean Dr34ms likes this.
  4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Harrell is a RFA, like Capela. Rockets have no money to offer (unless they use some of their MLE, and the Clips would match that anyway).

I'd be cool with lots of Tucker at PF if they were better at SF. Or vice versa.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Batum makes 24 million. Ariza and Anderson make 35 million combined. Huge difference. Plus Batum is better than Ariza and younger.

D-rock likes this.
  6. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

As a play maker and guy they run their offense through his efficiency sucks. But here he would just be a spot up shooter/slasher. He’s a lot like Ariza the first time he was here when Ariza was our go to option and his efficiency took a huge hit.

But he’s taller, younger and more athletic than Ariza. And he’s a better player than Bazemore and his contract makes it easier for us to get him. I mean why pay Anderson 20 million to sit on the bench when we can pay Batum 25 million to play 30 + minutes against any lineup. And it frees up more minutes for Melo at the 4

Very similar to his last year in Portland where he averaged 13 pts 7.5 rebounds 5.1 assists shooting 36.5% from three and efg % of 56%. Id take that all day instead of hoping Ennis can produce.

D-rock likes this.
  7. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

We're fine in the regular season. We need more in the playoffs.

You seem to think that trading Anderson is simply saving money but that isn't necessarily true.

Trade him and create a trade exception. Then use that TE to go get a player or two that can help in the playoffs.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Two more guaranteed years at $24 million plus a player option another year at $27 million.
    We know DM hates player options. In this case, it would/should absolutely disgust DM and everyone.

That said, yes, 2012-2013 Batum, or 2015-2016 Batum would be useful, though still overpaid.

I just don't see it happening since I assume they would have just matched Ariza if they were willing to take on that salary burden.

That said, I guess even last year, the interesting thing about Batum has always been his assist numbers. Like how are they so high? Maybe I'm missing something? And is he still solid defensively?

His shot chart is also interesting:
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/batumni01/shooting/2018
    In a disgusting way! That would obviously change... A LOT... on Houston.

Plus he was only assisted on 39% of his twos and 85% of his threes. Compared to say Ariza, assisted on 95% of his threes and 66% of his twos. I don't have the open shot efficiency data, but assuming Batum is better at shooting when he is assisted as those are typically open shots, his efficiency could go up some.

As someone, somewhat in the "it's not my money" camp... I've expressed how I'd be open to Otto Porter Jr. The main thing with him is he's a REALLY much better 3 point shooter. But is he the defender Batum is? And Batum's assist numbers, again, crazy. Porter has basically the same remaining contract as Batum, only slightly higher annual salaries.

I guess I'm potentially talking myself into Batum, lol. Maybe if there was some way to also nab either Jeremy Lamb or Malik Monk...

D-rock likes this.
  9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He's a worthless player because he would take minutes from much better players on the team. His advanced stats were similar to Gerald Green for last season with Gerald having a slightly better true shooting percentage. Gerald was sitting on his couch when we called him last year.

10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Why not? We won’t have any cap space for like 5 years with CP3 and Harden eating up all the cap. Why does it matter if we pay a 30 year old small forward for 3 years?

Plus a trade of Ryno and NeNe and a pick for Batum washes out the difference. Pretty much even Money. Charlotte may do it to get out from the 3rd year or Batum.

And if our offseason involves losing Anderson, NeNe, Ariza and Luc and getting MCW, Batum, Melo, Ennis. Then I think we got better.

#310 RHU525, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

With his injuries, it will be a huge risk. Get a backup, for let's say Tucker with part of the MLE instead, if possible.Trevor Booker is still unsigned, if I'm not mistaken. He is a 2 way player. He can help PJ out. If Utah, will give him a big contract, then Houston can't do much about it, but he may be able to play in a Ed Davis type role. PJ can't play 40 minutes a game, and Melo won't play any defense.

Addendum: Ennis for the vet minimum is a safer bet at around 1/24 the cost of Batum and his injuries.

#311 saleem, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  12. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

What trade exception are you referring to?

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

Who would he be taking minutes from? Ennis? Melo? Batum is not a worthless player. He’s versatile, and could give us 10-12 points and a decent amount of assists every game. U hope he will shoot a better percentage from 3.

D-rock likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

actually the fact that he didn't rely on getting his shots assisted is a good thing. he has the ability to create for himself and others. something that we didn't have outside of paul, harden, and sometimes ego.

that contract is terrible, but you can make a good case for the rockets making a ryno/batum trade.

1- he's actually a starting caliber forward which is way better than anything else we could get for ryno
    2- he's a good fit really with his versatility in playing 2-4 on O and D. could stand to have better shooting %s but he's played through some hand/arm injuries that may have effected it. plus the hornets are so bad no one ever gets any easy looks.
    3 - instead of costing us a pick to move ryno, we might be able to get a second rounder or two for taking on the longer contract.
    4 - if tillman is willing to pay the LT, why not? as long as it doesn't effect how much we can offer clint.
    5 - by the 3rd year of his deal which he will def opt in to, paul will be playing on 1 leg and our window will prob be closed anyway. its not about being good in 3 years, its about going all in NOW!

do i want batum's contract? no its terrible. is he my first choice of player to start at F? no he's injury prone and inconsistent on both ends with not great numbers on shooting or D. however, I do think its a better trade than paying picks to dump his contract to the kings for no reason... or to take back useless pieces like shmpert and koufos.

right now i'd rank this idea as the second best possible ryno trade idea:

1-bazemore
    2-batum
    3-carroll
    4-random useless player(s) on less-bad contracts to save some tax money...only if that savings allows tillman to raise the offer to keep clint.
    2103917293 - throwing away picks to dump his contract for no reason.

D-rock likes this.
  15. basketballholic

I'd rather have Justice Winslow and nitwit Whiteside than either baze or Batum.

16. Chargernation

Chargernation Member

How does Yogi Ferrell signing with SAC impact this pipe dream with Anderson

D-rock likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

craguin likes this.
  18. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He would never handle the ball with Harden and CP3 healthy, so his job would be to sit at the 3 point line where he would miss a lot of 3's. His only value on this team would be as a 3rd string point guard, but do you want someone getting paid 25 million to be only useful if one of our stars is hurt?

BTW, he is less efficient than Melo, Green, and Ennis.

19. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

I thought about this too... a SnT of Capela with Anderson for Winslow and Whiteside could be enticing. Miami dont like Whiteside, hell I dont like him near as much as I like Capela. But Whiteside is their version of Anderson, overpaid and not working out. Capela is a great center for this league, Winslow needs work too but he's young. I probably like him more because he's from Houston.

Either way we trade one playable player for 2. Anderson is fine in the regular season but we arent in it for regular season champions, we want the playoffs. Lots of pressure to put on a young Winslow.

Miami wins the trade, they get the best player (Capela) but we don't lose the trade as what we get are two pieces we really need.

There are more options out there than this and I think ultimately I'd rather keep Capela.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Batum's contract is bad, but if he's healty (apparently he wasn't last season) he's a perfect fit on this team, can score in multiple ways, very good passer, can guard 2/3 positions...for me, it might be possible he boosts his value enough to turn his contract into decent value next summer by playing here one season (and you can say the same about Bazemore btw). It would be a big risk of course.

D-rock and dockerland like this.