1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto, San Antonio talking Kawhi-DeRozan Swap (UPDATE: Done deal)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Jul 18, 2018.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

D-rock likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I know. I can't believe that story wasn't getting more play in the media last year. A consensus top 5 player just quitting on this team after being cleared to play by doctors. And he didn't even get surgery either. Just was healthy sitting out.

Tmac's was bad too don't get me wrong. But he was obviously over the hill and at least played a good chunk of the season before getting the surgery. Dude was missing wide open dunks and we were arguably better without him on the floor lol.

DonKnock and Reeko like this.
  4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

DonKnock and Vivi like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. Senator

Senator Member

Stupid way of thinking. They sucked with him, constantly getting swept in the playoffs. The league is a business about results, first and foremost, unless the owner is Cuban and he just wants to hang out with you. You're getting hundreds of mil, have players like Durant going wherever guaranteed titles are, and you want to pretend it's about loyalty?

malakas and forchette49 like this.
  8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Time to cowboy up, cupcake.

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've seen many embarrassing acts by players over the years, but this takes the cake. He quit, outright quit and kept collecting his paychecks. Unprofessional is a gross understatement.

I would never, ever trust this guy. You never know when he's gonna decide he doesn't want to play anymore if his feelings get hurt.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I agree, but generally speaking players get more heat from fans for their free agent decisions than teams get for trading a player elsewhere, which really makes no sense.

Reeko and ElPigto like this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

From the Raptors perspective I think it makes them a lot better this year but probably wrecks them next year.

From the Spurs perspective, I don't know what anyone thinks they could have gotten better than an all-star elite scorer. Boston wasn't giving up Tatum. So what, they'd be better off getting a few first round picks from a good team and praying one of those picks would be a lottery ticket that turned into a player as good as DeRozan?

The Spurs will be good for several years now with DeRozan. No, they (probably) aren't a championship contender with him as their best player, but there wasn't a deal out there that would do that for them.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

So, Spurs starting 5 will be what?

Poeltl/Pau
    LMA
    Gay
    Derozan
    Murray

...great spacing and shooting lol

DonKnock likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I definitely feel u when it comes to the Spurs, I don’t get why they did this. Were the other offers just that bad, or do they love Derozan that much? Poeltl and the pick is basically nothing to me.

For Toronto, I love that they did this man. The worst case scenario is that he leaves and they have to rebuild. The upside is great tho. If they had given up Anunoby as well along with multiple picks then I’d feel differently, but they basically gave up nothing to potentially make the finals and have a whole year to convince a top 5 player and MVP candidate before this past season to stay.

malakas likes this.
  14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Spurs essentially told Kawhi to F off and sent him to smallest market team in the NBA. LOL

jch1911 likes this.
  15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

As Rockets fans, this feels eerily similar to something.......

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Just be sure to post that in threads where people are mad that so and so won't take a paycut to help his team, won't commit to stay, etc. Players are expected to be GRATEFUL to be allowed to play and entertain fans and should show that by being loyal to cities and teams, but they need to put their big boy pants on when they get traded because the team thinks it can upgrade.

DonKnock, SamFisher and Reeko like this.
  18. Chargernation

Chargernation Member

So....Kawhi to Houston for Anderson, MCW and Ennis at the deadline right??
    Would give Houston some $ to work with in summer 2019 know Kawhi probably won’t come back

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

New plan to guard the Spurs.

Pack the paint. They have 1 3 point shooter in Patti Mills

DonKnock and pippendagimp like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

toronto has been way overdue for a move like this. Good for Toronto. all these reports of KL leaving being a some kind of sure thing, overestimate how much a full year of recruitment can have an impact. A ton can happen. pg13 was as close to a sure thing for the longest time and he even admitted so. that sure backfired

It sucks for DD cause he loved the city and playing there but a change needed to be made after all these years of "being right there"

malakas likes this.