1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Capela rejected Rocket's 5 year $85 million offer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by James.B.H, Jul 11, 2018.

1. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

Sucks to say this, but Morey isn't gonna pay Capela that type of money....Zhou or DJ will be our starting center in 2019 before that happens....

2. DaonlyLA

DaonlyLA Member

Be Cheaper to trade up for Bol Bol next year!

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Clint needs to fire his agent. Take the money and run. He has a chance for big money AND a chance to win a title HERE.

His agent is about to piss that away.

Be humble - remember your days selling trinkets/knickknacks on the street as a kid to help make a buck.

Stormy1234 and cerophilik like this.
  4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Then why didn’t they offer him that this summer. They had the money....

topfive likes this.
  5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Because he is restricted FA. The rockets could match. There was no such issue with DJ.

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I like Capela and hope he will stay. But I think you are betting too much on his potential "improvement." Will he improve? Probably. Will he improve every year in the next 5 years and become a star (top 20 player)? I highly doubt it.

Last season was his break out season. This was his 4th season. If you look at his numbers, the improvement between Year 2 and Year 3 is actually bigger than between Year 3 and Year 4. You see, there is a diminished return in improvement. It is definitely not linear. I said that about Harden too. Some people say that he has improved every year as if that would guarantee continue improvement until he retires. That's of course not true. Players usually plateau after the break out year, or at least the rising slope flattens quite a bit.

Capela doesn't have a shooting touch. In today's NBA, if you can't shoot outside of 3 feet of the basket, you can't be a superstar unless your name is Shaq. Yes, that includes Dwight Howard. We found out how limited Dwight was offensively. So if Capela ever reaches the level of the prime Dwight, he wouldn't be a superstar in this league. More likely, he will reach DeAndre Jordon's level, which is very good. His offense probably will be a bit better than DJ because he has better footwork. But his defense and rebounding probably won't because he is not as physically strong. He still gets pushed around by stronger guys and most NBA bigs are stronger than him.

If you are a GM negotiating contracts, you don't look at a player and project the best case scenario. You look at the most likely scenario and hope for the best.

Anyway, if I were Capela, I'd probably take the QO and see what the market would give me.

cerophilik likes this.
  7. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Defense is great + Half of his Offense comes from Harden/Paul lobs + Can't hit a free throw = 5yr 85mil

Take the money, son.

htxaf likes this.
  8. buffalobills!!!

Draymond Green completely blanketed him in the playoffs

Little Bit likes this.
  9. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Draymond also had to make himself otherwise ineffectual to do it

10. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Both are overpaid. I'll take the 'under' on whether their next contract is over or under their current annual amounts.
    Big $'s are now moving towards guards and wings...not mediocre bigs that are offensively challenged.

How about that DHo, Brook Lopez, and Nerlens Noel money...it's not 2016 anymore.

11. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Well hopefully we can run a trade with them this year and both sides will be happy

12. dmoneybangbang

I am high on Capela and I think he potentially does have another offensive gear, but the Rockets will not outbid themselves. No other team is willingly to pay Capela more than what the Rockets offer.

13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would you really be happy?

I wouldn't be at all.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Simple.

Houston would have dragged out their entire free agency, and then matched.

/Thread...

cerophilik likes this.
  15. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

No need we won’t have Ryan and DJ would prob come around 17-18m.
    There was a rumor he would give us a discount I wouldn’t think it would be a lot but around that. And he would be playing for his home town and would be playing for a ring which in Dallas he won’t even be close. Also would you imagine if Capela got this kind of efficiency with harden and Paul how better DJ would be. His FG% Was the best when cp3 was in LAC

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So what. It was a bad defensive strategy that we burned.

Green's defense on Capela left Harden wide open on drives. Rockets ate that up so much that Kerr gave up and gave Draymond help, by playing either Looney or Bell with him all game long. We killed the Hampton 5 and any group with West in it, because of Kerr overplaying Capela by "blanketing" him with Draymond.

Overplaying Capela is no different than a Stretch 4 drawing Draymond away from the rim. Harden doesn't need much room...you can't block-out Capela so aggressively *and* contain Harden,

#296 heypartner, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
  17. NJRockFan

NJRockFan Contributing Member

5 yrs 85m was a good offer. They will end up overpaying him to not be able to hit a free throw and lose athleticism over the years. He doesnt have a high ceiling. Just my two cents. He is athletic but not high IQ on the court

cerophilik likes this.
  18. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He isn’t even in his athletic prime yet...

19. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Difficult decision.

Our window is now. Chris Paul most certainly isn’t getting any better. So are we going to turn CC into something that at the very least equals an immediate equal power? If not, than you almost HAVE to give it to him.

James Harden is what, 28? I’m guessing and I’m too lazy to check while using safari on my phone. Maybe he is younger: but he will def be in his 30s when cp is gone.

I just feel like the window is as open as it’s going to get. And if we aren’t careful it’s going to shut faster than we anticipated.

htxaf likes this.
  20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Mildly disagree. I don’t know ANY current centers that were making that immediate touch pass to the wing that CC made all season — though it was definitely thwarted in the latter part of the season and playoffs.

THats just a single example of his IQ on offense.

He doesn’t hold onto the ball. He is good with the post pass. He runs the court very well. He knows his roll and doesn’t try to exceed it. There are other qualities that display his professionalism and basketball intelligence.

Is his ceiling Shaq high? Doubtful. But he could be a better Tyson Chandler. And that’s no small feet. In the age of guards, having a center that can finish in the paint, play defense, and stay within his roll (happily)...it just MIGHT be worth the cost.

I’m seriously 60/40 learning towards paying him up to 95.