1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possibility of trading Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sealclubber1016, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Gordon is worth giving up for a star, Melo is certainly NOT that guy. Not close to the same shooter.

HP3 likes this.
  2. topfive

topfive CF OG

This team is coached by Mike Friggin' D'Antoni, and for a year now we've been talking about how critical it is that we trade Ryan Anderson.

In what universe does this make any sense? Anderson should be starting and averaging over 20pts a game for this team.

I'm not suggesting we do that, because he's proven not up to the task. It just blows me away that Ryno hasn't been able to at least up his offensive game while playing under one of the greatest offensive coaches the league has ever seen. Amazing. This is like trying to trade Bill Russell because he doesn't fit on a team coached by Thibs.

leroy likes this.
  3. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

He said, "he could see" Gordon getting moved. I view as more of a hot take than insider info... And I'm a fan of what Cyber has to say.

In this case, I think it's more speculation than news.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Ryno's situation has nothing to do with fit. It's all between his ears as a consequence of his eyesight and lack of mental strength. Guy is shook, got the yips, etc... Needs a shrink not a basketball coach.

5. HTM

HTM Member

Gordon is so valuable to us... I think its unlikely we would be able to improve the squad by trading him.... his impact is going to be better than anyone we would be able to get for him I think.

HP3 and StrawberryJamm like this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i'm happy with gordon on the roster, especially after he drained some big shots at the end of games against GS + refs. my only concern is his relatively healthy 2 year stint coming to an end. still i'd prefer to keep him. he can defend both guard positions adequately, can break down the defense off the dribble, and although streaky is still a great shooter. and chemistry-wise he could not be a better fit for us.

BMoney likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

he said they may have to trade him for defense. speculation/news however you want to take it, it was just a reference to op's post bc it goes along with the general idea

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  8. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I'd poke the tires on a Ibaka deal involving Ryno/Gordon. Even swap type of deal to change things up for both teams.

Ryno/EG/fillers/picks for Ibaka/Delon Wright/CJ Miles

Now, I doubt Raptors take this but maybe they have a fascination for Ryno and they view EG as upgrade to their bench.

On the Rockets end, Delon Wright would be a clear upgrade over MCW any day of the week. Doubt Raptors would part ways with him but never know (maybe some picks could do the job).

CJ Miles is a serviceable role player who is paid TOO MUCH IMO but he can shoot it.

#28 Rockets FTW, Jul 12, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
    jch1911 likes this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

You are a mad man my friend.

10. CACH12

CACH12 Member

Did he said that recently or on the posts when FA were to begin?

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Not unless it's for an all star. Anything less than that and Gordon should stay. Some of you guys really undervalue him. You guys blame Morey but then when you look to trade one of our guys you like....."meh, we can be great without him."

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

posted on tuesday

13. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I added more to post :eek::D

Shooters shoot. DEF not happening but all we can hope for is that some team wants to change things up... Ryno/EG is the package so I agree with OP. It's just finding the right deal that doesn't kill us too much and vice-versa.

14. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

If we are trading away EG, who would lead our second unit? Who will be our backup PG should CP3 goes down for a week or two?

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Why would Minnesota do that? Why don't we just trade Green for KD?

16. Sanity2disChaos

I’ve honestly always thought he was a starter (on virtually any other team )in the nba but has played team ball and settled for coming off the bench. Maybe he starts??? Which honestly doesn’t matter unless there are no other options.

Not crazy to think we may have to consider a lineup of

Paul
    Gordon
    Harden
    Tucker/Melo (let Melo start and Tucker finish or ?)
    Capela

If Gordon is gone it has to be for a starter and include Anderson. No deal if it doesn’t.

17. finsraider

finsraider Member

Here's my thinking on Gordon: you can't trade him unless you're getting a better player back, and those are few and far between. That said, a better player IS necessary if we want to compete with Golden State, so it's a worthwhile exercise to go through the various potential options.

You need to have a replacement in mind if you're going to move Gordon. The type of player depends on who we get in exchange for Gordon. For example, if we get more of a playmaker, then you probably want to sign an off-ball 3&D guy, and vice versa. The question is where we get this guy armed only with minimum contracts (assuming the MLE is used on Melo). Fortunately, the buyout/trade market for 3&D players should be fairly significant around the trade deadline:

3&D
    Wesley Matthews
    Terrence Ross
    Iman Shumpert
    Garrett Temple
    Jeremy Lamb
    DeMarre Carroll
    Reggie Bullock
    Pat Beverley
    Spencer Dinwiddie

18. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Only for Butler. No one else on the trade market is worth it.

CP3
    Harden
    Butler
    Melo
    Capela

Is a very good starting 5.

MCW
    Green
    Ennis
    PJ
    Nene

Isn’t the worst bench in the league, but it would be nice if they could add another shooter. Swaggy P, anyone?

chievous minniefield likes this.
  19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Theoretically Melo would be the go to guy off the bench for scoring.

The backup PG issue still exists even with Gordon on the team because Gordon is not a PG. We struggled when Paul went down for that exact reason. Maybe Melton can come in and fill that role in limited minutes, maybe MCW isn't completely useless, but as of right now there's no clear answer as to who the CP3 injury placeholder is.

Sanity2disChaos likes this.
  20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

So if the Clippers will pick up the phone and call RC and tell him : "Hey I want to trade Lou Williams for Kawhi Leonard."

What will RC tell them?

Lou is the sixth man of the year and Eric is the runner up.

Jimmy is also the cornerstone of the Twolves and Kawhi has more health concerns.