1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What's the deal with all the Chicken Littles in here right now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Why not?

Why not? Member

Idk if the sky is falling yet, but idk how anyone could feel good about how free agency has gone so far. I know there’s still time, but Nunnally, James Ennis and Tyreke Evans isn’t much of an upgrade (when you consider Ariza’s departure) and that’s like our best-case scenario right now...

2. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Correct, you have to build the right team, not just a collection of the biggest names possible.

D-rock and Plowman like this.
  3. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Look, I’m not happy the Warriors got Cousins either. But the offseason is far from over. The Rockets aren’t simply going to bring CP3, Capela, Luc and Green back while losing Ariza and call it a day. That’s not how Morey rolls.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

from your lips to Gods ear...
    I know DM is a helluva finagler... but we've had plenty of instances where we waited for the DM miracle - that never came... like waiting for a last minute big the year before - and we ended up with James trying to cover LMA and Pau in the paint vs the Spurs - bc Bogut went to Cleve (and failed - lol)...
    This time,,, I just dont know... no cap room and DM doesnt exactly have a full cupboard of tradeable assets to spare... I got a feeling its going to be a few midlevel type acquisitions and hoping they prosper...
    Otherwise, it's either dealing EGo or paying future draft picks to move Ryno... any other realistic venues to a good upgrade?

ilovehtownbb and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  5. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Ariza only averaged less minutes per game than Harden and Paul by a smidge.

He was very integral to what we do and anyone acting like it's not a big deal is deluding themselves.

I trust in Morey but until he's replaced it's hard not to be unhappy about it. Hopefully we find another diamond in the trash bin.

Corrosion and kjayp like this.
  6. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Yes, that was unexpected!

Still, he's coming off an Achilles tear and will be rehabbing close to the entire year. It's a low risk move because there's a low probability that Boogie gets back to Boogie level this year. That's why the price was so low.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Deleted tired, rambling post...more to follow tomorrow.

#87 Plowman, Jul 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    jman255, D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  8. kjayp

Respectfully, I disagree... thats not the reason the price was so low... thats what GSW had to spend and Boogie took it with hopes of grabbing a ring... I believe he could certainly have gotten more on the open market...

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

10. Lebronto

Lebronto Member

the sky fell. you can obsess all you want about beating the warriors but they now have a second post up option who they can use when durant sits. he can play the draymond role and if no one gets open he can just score. its over ladies and gentlemen. see you in 3-5 years barring injuries.

i recall rebounds kept us in some games, especially when the warriors went small. now they have a 300 pound monster rebounder.

ariza was smart to get paid, lebron was smart to say **** it im selling out in la.

kjayp and Bengchu like this.
  11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I think Morey will continually give the CP3/Harden combo a chance every year with new supporting pieces, and keep what works.

Yes... losing Ariza sucks, but I would have bet, as I'm sure Morey did too, that his decline this past year would only get worse, and they'd be paying 9 to 12 million a year for a player they really just need for the playoffs.

As long as they get Capela back, they'll still be a really good team, but not quite as strong in the standings given the West getting better. The goal is just to be the best version of yourself you can be every year, and not make stupid moves that max out your teams flexibility year over year like signing Ariza to a big deal would have done like the Ryno contract is doing now.

Remember guys... the way we win=

-Harden & CP3 constant pick and rolls
    -competent roller
    -switch everything defensively
    -hit shots

Nothing changes with the majority of the surrounding pieces being interchanged a little bit here and there, and we forget how we win if we start chasing guys that don't fit just because we need bigger names to "win July".

I think we are in good shape if we get Capela back, resign LRMM, and maybe add another versatile 3/4 who can defend and make shots.

12. Lebronto

Lebronto Member

youre talking about actually beating them when im just hoping we can keep the games competitive and pray we dont get swept.

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I gotta argue that point - Ariza wouldn't have been like Ryno , he signed a ONE YEAR deal. Had he done that here , it would have been via bird rights , over the cap and the only issue is the amount of tax he cost for that one year. What's any less damaging than a one year deal thru a bird exception?!

Ryno …. being a muti year mistake is much more damaging to your flexibility.

This particular issue makes me think the new ownership wont be ponying up the bucks in the luxury tax because it affected nothing other than the tax.

14. kjayp

I like you Plowman. You seem like a good guy and I typically enjoy your posts... but I'm sorry, this is just best wishes propaganda...

It reads like... IF it weren't for the officials... and IF CP3 was healthy and IF Luc hadn't been injured... and IF we got a return on Ryan Anderson... we woulda won...
    and if, ifs and buts were cherries and nuts - it'd be Christmas every day.
    Do you think the officiating is gonna change? Is the league gonna change?
    Do you feel confident that CP3 will be healthy for the entire next post season run?
    Is Luc even returning? at what level?
    Are we gonna get a return on RA's 20M? We've been trying to move him for over a year - and he's not an expiring yet...
    These were the 'reasons' for last years shortcomings... any indication anything will be different? besides wishful thinking? I hope we get a return on RA's 20M too - but hope in one hand... lol

Glad GG is back!
    Here's hoping Clint returns...
    we're already down 1 starter... so effectively to this point we've taken a step back...

GSW has added Boogie - let's assume he turns out to be totally worthless... he just took the Javale slot anyway - did he even play against us? Let's call it a wash vs a good possible upside...
    and they didn't have Iggy at all vs us... so there's that...

but hey, there's always guys and teams that are gonna rally to give us great deals to beat those waskly warriors... lol! What did that get us last year? Joe Johnson? Let's be honest, we did better with a guy nobody wanted who (as I understand it) was just sitting on his couch when we called... ;)

I hate to be the turd in the punch bowl... but I don't believe candy coating stuff - deal with the real.

#94 kjayp, Jul 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
    ilovehtownbb likes this.
  15. rantsolpuella13

Supporting Member

Yeah about my post earlier... you can throw that straight into the trash.

GSW has taken what’s left of my positivity. My interest now is how quickly it will be before the owners lock out the players and/or work stoppage. The CBA was hanging by a thread even before the Cousins news. Now it’s near unrepairable.

Yay...

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

this is like saying Iggy was a bigger loss than cp3...

17. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

They're nothing alike I have no idea what you're talking about

Can you tell me who's taking his 35 minutes a game?

kjayp likes this.
  18. jman255

jman255 Member

What was the rockets record with Harden, CP3 and Capela starting? Please remind me...

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Went from having the same team add Lebron to losing ariza and Cousins going to Warriors. Everything that could go wrong has.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not scared just laughing my a....off at the league, it has become a farce/charade.

Killatron 2000 and Plowman like this.