1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the Rockets up to?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jul 2, 2018.

?

What are the rockets doing?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2018.
  1. They are limited by the owner's concerns over luxury tax and will make only minor additions

21.6%
  2. They are working on a move for an established veteran that will improve the team

40.4%
  3. They will add minor pieces and keep powder dry for later but not because of luxury tax

23.5%
  4. I abstain. Courteously.

14.6%
  1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I want to gauge the general sense before we get a definitive answer on this.

Do you think the Rockets are working on a way to improve the roster OR do you think the team is basically handicapped by the owner not wanting to go crazy in the luxury tax and we will make only under the radar type additions?

RasaqBoi likes this.
  2. James&PaulAttornysAtBall

Inner me: ah Morey is called the Wizard for a reason. Relax and trust his decisions

Actually me: were so screwed and have no moves to make. West got better and we didn’t

3. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Chilling. I think the plan is to bring back the same roster. With a few tweaks obviously. (I don’t think we trade Anderson). We don’t have the assets to make a splash.

4. No Chill Rocket

We need to do our due diligence and eat at a Landry’s restaurant. We don’t want him to end up like ol’ uncle Les :rolleyes:.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I’d imagine we will have a significant trade sometime hopefully soon. Morey and Tilman know how close we are to a championship, they aren’t just going to run it back without Ariza

6. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I disagree. Read up on the Rockets taking a 100 million dollar cap hit. Ryno is gone in my eyes.

For what, I really don't know.

7. justtxyank

Well we definitely aren't bringing back the same roster. We've let Ariza go.

8. James&PaulAttornysAtBall

I want Jimmy Buckets so bad but correct me if I’m wrong.. Codman said that wasn’t a realistic possibility.

whiskeyred likes this.
  9. Merla08

Merla08 Member

We'll wait for Carmelo Anthony to get bought out by OKC. It'll come down to either Houston or LA for him.

Other cheap options would be Vince Carter or Beasley

jb86 likes this.
  10. cml750

cml750 Member

It is either option 2 or 3. I do not see Tillman too worried about the luxury tax. We are too close right now.

dmoneybangbang and justtxyank like this.
  11. justtxyank

You don't need a deciphered list of 100 different possibilities to figure out that Jimmy Butler isn't realistic.

Reeko, onreego and cml750 like this.
  12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

But did it?

Paul George returned to the Thunder (okay)
    Lebron signed with the Lakers (cool)
    Chris Paul returned to the Rockets (yay)
    Everyone else has focused on resigning their own non-star FA (big whoop)

I'm not worried this is only the first weekend of free agency and the biggest fish has landed. Now everyone else will make corresponding moves from here up until the trade deadline in February. I know we won't be finished making moves but it may take some time for them to materialize than most.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. StevieCrossover

With cp3 and Harden signed to the max.

Ryno, dead weight on the roster.

I dont see Rockets resigning Capela if someone offers max contract.

I predict minor minimum salary pick ups and nothing big but who knows.

lw17 likes this.
  14. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

They must get the best possible player they can for Anderson. Bazemore, Schroeder, W. Chandler... anyone who can contribute. Personally, I would most definitely trade Anderson for Melo if that is the best they can do. 1 less year and Melo sure as hell isnt scared to shoot.

15. macan

macan Member

fashion week, world cup and backyard bbq

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. James&PaulAttornysAtBall

Yes, the west got better in the sense it’s deeper from a competitive aspect. Lakers will be a good team, Nuggets will continue to get better, Mavs and Suns will actually be competitive and not easy wins. OKC will compete too; So yes.. the west got better. Are we still the 2nd best team? Sure

hakeem94 and bigbodymoe like this.
  17. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Where does Cousins go?

18. esketit

esketit Member

need a starting 3

19. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

We had the series with GS (and the title), with a healthy CP3 for games 6 and 7... but regardless, I don’t see how we can just head into next year without any other moves. We may be able to beat them with CP3 healthy, but you can’t assume anything.. especially when talking about the health of aging players.. also, now the western conference is becoming more and more stacked.. Feel like we need a medium/big move to feel better, heading into the season..

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Not picking on you, because I've seen this sentiment lots of places... and I genuinely do not understand it.

If the Rockets were to let Capela go, on top of Ariza, without any additional financial avenues to replace either... then re-signing Chris Paul was a massive mistake. The Rockets with CP3/Harden and no Capela would be perpetually on the upper-middle-class treadmill — 50-55 wins every season, but zero chance at actual contention (especially in the Golden State era). That's the antithesis of everything Daryl Morey is about.

The only way it makes any sense at all to pay Chris Paul $40M/year through age 37 is if you think you can actually win a title in those years. Let Capela walk, and essentially, CP's contract gives you all of the downside (keeping you from cap room) without any of the upside (chance to win a title). When the Rockets re-signed CP, they became all-in on this core. Yes, they'll try to get the best deal they can on Capela. If they can get him well below the max, great. But after re-signing CP, there's no dollar figure where it makes any sense whatsoever to let Capela go.